Online A-level History Tutors / A-level History Tuition
See Also: Show
- Liam H Winchester, SO20
- Lindsay Carter Cotham, BS8
- Ade O'Brien Shaftesbury, SW8
- Gary Mitchell Southbourne, BH6
- Tom Haggerty Boroughbridge, YO51
- B Westerman Grove Park, BR1
- Alistair Buckingham Meriden, WD25
- Katrina Durber Westminster, SW1P
- Bob Adey Angel, N1
- Richard Magee Warwick, CV34
- Camilla Otaki at Otaki Tuition River, ME1
- Harry de Moraville Henleaze, BS6
- Nathan Williams Central Bristol, BS8
- Viv Battersea, SW1
- Adam Muckle Putney, SW15
- Phil CloudTutoring Towcester Brook, NN12
- LauraB Clapton, N15
- Dr Judith Rowbotham Holland Park, W8
- Rebecca Felton Balham, SW4
- Nicholas Prasad Crouch End, N8
- Emma Storey Fulham, SW6
- Llinos Williams Kingswood, KT20
- Kate McCarthy St. Mary's, BN43
- Dr Abbie Davies Furzedown, SW16
- Kenneth Gibson Cheltenham, GL50
- Faith Taylor Leyton, E5
- Yvonne Mason Montgomery, SY15
- Jessica Guise Totteridge, N3
- Dr Helen Mathers Hillsborough, S6
- Neil Smith PhD Whitley Bay, NE26
- Philippa Rumsey Ponders End, EN3
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for A-level History
- Personal Message
- I am an experienced teacher of students over 16. I can meet your English language needs and help you to improve your grades.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- Students contact me by email to ask for help. If proof-reading help is needed, I will correct an email attachment and send it back when I have received payment. I can normally do this quite quickly. I can also conduct tutorials by skype using materials emailed to the student. Payments for online tutoring are made by direct transfer to my bank account.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach English writing, grammar, speaking and reading. I can help with study skills and improve your essays and dissertations. I can help with access to university.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a BA (Hons) in History and Politics, and a PhD in History. I have the CELTA qualification to teach international students and Diplomas in teaching university and adult students.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have been a private tutor for several years. I also teach for the Open University, helping first-year students to deal with the demands of undergraduate study.
I have taught many postgraduate dissertation students and specialise in the humanities and social sciences. I have taught access courses in humanities and ‘returning to study’ at Sheffield University. I taught History undergraduates at both Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam universities.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £20 an hour for a tutorial. This could be divided between 2 students, if friends want to have a lesson together. I charge £20 per hour for proof-reading work. I will try to tell you in advance how much I think it will cost.
- Where do you teach?
- Quite a lot of my work is online, looking at written drafts and improving them. I also teach via skype.
I sometimes teach at my home, in north Sheffield. More often, I travel to students’ homes or a meeting place of their choice. I charge extra for my travelling time - £16 an hour. As a guide, travel across Sheffield to somewhere like Dore or Ecclesall would cost an extra £12, but a location nearer to my home, like Crosspool or Crookes, would cost £6.
I can often help you at short notice - just ask.
I also teach in Cambridge at a flat in Trumpington (near Addenbrooke's Hospital). I need more notice if you would like a personal tutorial in Cambridge, but of course I can also give you help online.
- When are you available?
- I am available for consultation on any day, at any time, up to 10 pm. Tutorials can be held at any time of day, by arrangement.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages from 16 to 90 !
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I help students to prepare for university exams of all kinds in humanities and social sciences, undergraduate and postgraduate. I plan soon to help students who are taking the Academic module of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System), required for university entry.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Universities and Colleges Union (for teachers) Society of Authors
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Sheffield University for all my qualifications. I gained CELTA in 2011.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I have a mature student from Saudi Arabia who has come here with her children to study for a degree. I advise on how to improve her assignments and prepare for the exams. A Bulgarian waiter travels to meet me for lessons in English grammar and speaking. Students regularly ask me to proof-read MA and PhD dissertations.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I can help you! Coping with written work and exams, especially with a deadline looming, is very demanding and can be stressful. I will help with your immediate problems, and also advise on how to develop better skills for academic work. As an experienced private tutor, I will focus on your needs and your needs only. You will not be part of a class. It is worth paying for extra help, just for you, sometimes !
I can help you to: · Improve your writing. · Express yourself more clearly and precisely. · Get better grades. · Solve problems you have with using the English language at university. · Cope with exams.
Send a message to Dr Helen Mathers
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more