Classical Violin Lessons in NE Somerset (Bath, Keynsham, Midsomer Norton and Radstock)
Tutors in Bath and North East Somerset
- Michelle Falcon Bathwick, BA2
Tutors travelling to Bath and North East Somerset
Interested in online lessons for Classical Violin?Online Classical Violin Lessons
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Classical Violin
- Personal Message
- At whatever level you wish to learn, my teaching style ensures a balance of sound technique, musical learning and above all nurtures a sense of enjoyment in the art of music making.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach Violin, Viola and Music Theory to advanced levels.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I studied at the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama in Cardiff from which I gained a Postgraduate Diploma in Performance. I also have the Certificate of Teaching from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (CTABRSM) and the Licentiate Diploma (LTCL with Disctinction) for viola performance from Trinity College London. My undergraduate studies took place at Bath Spa University.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I am a professional musician with a wealth of experience in performing and teaching. I established my private teaching practice in 1992 and I have taught pupils from the ages of 5 - 70 years old. My former pupils have successfully gained entrance to UK Music Colleges. My career has encompassed teaching, coaching string ensembles, playing string quartets and chamber music, giving solo recitals on violin and viola and freelancing with orchestras across the UK and abroad. Recent professional work has included a tour of China with London Arte Chamber Orchestra and freelance engagements with Southern Sinfonia, Bristol Ensemble, Welsh Session Orchestra, British Sinfonietta, Three Spires Choir & Orchestra and the English Symphony Orchestra. I perform regularly as a recitalist with the Bohuslav Duo and as a concerto soloist.
- How much do you charge?
- My fees are £40 per hour, though a discount is available for students under the age of 18 who block book lessons a term at a time. If you wish to have lessons in your own home, then travel is charged at cost and the hourly fee may be higher, depending on where you live.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from my home near Bath and my students generally come from Bath & Bristol and the surrounding counties of Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire. Home visits to South Bath (Combe Down, Odd Down, Oldfield Park, Bear Flat, Whiteway etc) are possible by arrangement.
- When are you available?
- As a freelance musician, my timetable of availability is varied. I generally have fixed teaching slots available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. I have after-school slots available as well as daytime availability. I will teach during the school holidays if required. Coaching of ensembles can be arranged at a time to suit.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach from beginners up to conservatoire standard and any age from 5 years upwards.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare students for graded music exams from 0 - Grade 8. In addition I will also teach to Diploma level. All exams are taken in consultation with the pupil and parent, to ensure that appropriate goals and standards are met. It is by no means compulsory to take graded examinations.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes I have full enhanced CRB clearance.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the MU (Musicians Union), ESTA (European String Teachers Association) and the ISM (Incorporated Society of Musicians) Private Teachers Register. This ensures continual updates to my professional development and adherence to an ethical code of practice.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- My teachers have included Joan Schmeising (formerly of Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra), Richard White, Julia Bishop (Red Priest), Lucy Gould (of the Gould Piano Trio), John Stein (former leader of Welsh National Opera) and Martin Humbey (Academy of St Martin in the Fields & English Chamber Orchestra). I graduated as a mature student from the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama with a Postgraduate Diploma in Performance in July 2009 and I continue to study with Martin Humbey on viola.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Some Testimonials from students past and present:
"Michelle is a gifted teacher. She has a lovely rapport with my 7 year old daughter. Every lesson is conducted with a clear destination, with a variety of techniques and at a good pace so that my daughter is always learning something new and never gets bored. I cannot imagine a better violin teacher. " Mike
"Michelle is an enthusiastic and encouraging violin teacher. My daughter has always enjoyed her lessons and has passed her Trinity Initial exam with distinction and confidence thanks to Michelle's excellent teaching". Emily
"Michelle has taught Ella the violin for over three years, first at school in a group and then in one-to-one lessons at home. She has been a very kind and encouraging teacher, with lots of good ideas to help Ella master the things that she finds difficult. Ella is always keen to practise hard and she always looks forward to her lessons."
"Michelle has taught my daughter Nia the violin for the past two years. In this time she has taken her from an absolute beginner, through her grade 1 exam where she helped her to achieve a distinction, and on to studying for grade 3. In this time Michelle has inspired Nia and built her confidence greatly so she is looking forward to these future challenges." Nicole
"Thank you for your excellent tuition - you have helped and inspired my daughter to play violin, taking her through her prep test to grade 5. You have given her very individual tuition and have patiently helped her to continually challenge herself. Not only have you given Millie stimulating private lessons, you have also encouraged and helped her to join the Schools Philharmonic Orchestra and compete at the Mid Somerset Festival. This has given Millie enormous personal satisfaction. Thank you Michelle." Jane
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I have high expectations of my students, who I always seek to inspire through demonstrating my own levels of professionalism. I will ensure that we work together to achieve your goals, as there is nothing that gives me greater pleasure than seeing a student mature into a blossoming musician.
Send a message to Michelle Falcon
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more