Fine Art Tuition in Bromley (Penge, Beckenham, Orpington, Crystal Palace, Chislehurst)
Tutors in Bromley
- Sorry no tutors found
Tutors travelling to Bromley
Interested in online tuition for Fine Art?Online Fine Art Tuition
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Fine Art
Benjamin Cohen Gold Member
- Camberwell (SE5) View on map
- Last Logged In: 19 Sep 2015
- Sex: Male
- Web site: www.benjamincohenstudio.com
- Can Travel To: Bromley, Camden, City of London, Greenwich, Hackney, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Lewisham, Richmond upon Thames, Westminster
- Personal Message
- I am an artist, curator and qualified educator working and teaching across a range of Fine Art practices and processes, in particular Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Film and Time-Based Media.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I am a qualified Associate Lecturer (specialising in Painting) on the Foundation programme at Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Graduate Schools, University of the Arts London. On this enquiry-led course, I have an interdisciplinary role that enables students to develop a progressive dialogue between art-making and critical thinking.
In addition, I can teach Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Film and Time-Based Media to A Level, BTEC, Foundation, BA (Hons), MA or adult learners outside of education.
I have the diverse skills and experience required to teach a spectrum of Fine Art practices and processes creatively and in a way that continually supports the intellectual and personal development of students. I use a range of pedagogic methods that encourage learners to develop practically, are free to experiment and take risks, and are motivated to contextualise their work.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a Masters in Fine Art from Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London and a BA (Hons) in Fine Art from Loughborough University School of Art and Design. I also studied at Chelsea College of Art and Design, University of the Arts London for my Foundation Diploma.
I have a PGCE in Post-Compulsory Education from the UCL Institute of Education.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Besides my capabilities as a visual arts educator, I have a proven professional track record in contemporary Fine Art. Through experimentation with expanded notions of Painting, Film and Sculpture, as well as collaborative projects in Serbia and Norway, I have been grappling with the relationship between ‘image-making’, ‘the screen’ and ‘failure’.
I have exhibited in and curated shows in London and Europe. Recent exhibitions include Thoughts of Terminal Refreshment and Promise of Palm Trees at London’s Breese Little Gallery, both of which were reviewed by Apollo, This is Tomorrow, The Upcoming and Wall Street International, and was the Royal Academy’s ‘Pick of the Week’. I have also exhibited in and curated exhibitions in Vienna and Los Angeles. I was shortlisted for the BBC2 programme ‘School of Saatchi’ where I was interviewed by Tracy Emin and Matthew Collings. In 2008, I exhibited in the BP Portrait Award at the National Portrait Gallery, Wolverhampton Art Gallery and Aberdeen Art Gallery and in the Royal Society of Portrait Painters exhibition at the Mall Galleries, London.
As well as pursuing my own artistic preoccupations, I have developed my sculptural skills and technical knowledge working for Urs Fischer at Sadie Coles HQ and as a studio assistant for Antony Gormley.
Over the past few years prominent collectors such as Frank Cohen, Hermann Eisenköck and Philip Sachs have bought my work.
My artistic practice is shaped by academic pursuits. For example, I regularly participate in artist talks, panel discussions and educational events in London galleries. Most recently, for the exhibition Promise of Palm Trees, I delivered a lecture to Whitechapel Gallery patrons along with fellow artists Fiona Curran and Charlie Billingham.
Publications include – 500 Portraits published by the National Portrait Gallery, the Royal Society of Portrait Painters annual exhibitions catalogue published by the Mall Galleries and Benjamin Cohen: Solo Exhibition at The Old Truman Brewery published by Breese Little Gallery.
- How much do you charge?
- For one-to-one tutoring I charge between £30 per hour. These prices are reduced for group tutoring.
If I travel over 20 miles then the tutoring fee will raise slightly to cover extra travel costs.
- Where do you teach?
- My approach to teaching operates within a range of diverse learning environments appropriate to the needs of my learners. For example, I can provide the highest levels of tutoring at my home, at the home of the tutee, at my studio in Camberwell, in galleries, museums and in other projects spaces across the UK.
I am primarily based in London, but am willing to travel 10 miles outside of the city.
- When are you available?
- I am available any day of the week, all evenings and at weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- You may be an artist, adult learner, a postgraduate / degree level student, or working towards your A Level’s. If so, I have the diverse skills and experience required to provide the highest levels of tutoring to a spectrum of students and artists across all ages and levels.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I can help students prepare for their Art and Design A Levels, Art and Design BTECs, Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, BA (Hons) in Fine Art and MA in Fine Art.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have an up-to-date DBS Certificate.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Over the past academic year I have worked with Camberwell, Chelsea and Wimbledon Graduate School students experimenting with Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Film, Time-Based Media, Installation, Performance and Collaboration.
These students have now progressed onto BA (Hons) programmes at Camberwell, Chelsea, Wimbledon, Central Saint Martins, The Slade, Goldsmiths and other BA programmes across the UK.
Send a message to Benjamin Cohen
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more