Online GCSE Ancient Greek Tutors / GCSE Ancient Greek Tuition
|Mike Lambert||Quinton, CV37|
|Déborah Natanson||Southside, EH8|
|Gayle Smith||Tolworth, KT6|
|Jessica White||Cricklewood, NW2|
|Joe Hytner||West Hampstead, NW6|
|David Pope||Abingdon, OX14|
|Thomas Yarrow||Tulse Hill, SE24|
|Atticus Cox||Imperial Wharf, SW10|
|Tom Spencer||Putney, SW18|
|A Bell||Richmond, TW11|
|Ed Martineau||Farringdon, WC2|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for GCSE Ancient Greek
- Personal Message
- I believe that pupils truly excel when they are empowered to take control of their own learning.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Latin and Ancient Greek. My specialist interest is language work, although I also teach literature.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I graduated from King's College, Cambridge in 2009 with a degree in Classics and then completed my PGCE (teacher training) at Queens' College, Cambridge in 2010.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- † I have been tutoring Latin and Ancient Greek intensively since 2009, and have now had hundreds of hours of teaching experience.
† I have taught towards all major public exams in both languages, such as Common Entrance, GCSE, AS, A2, SAT and even BA (i.e. University exams) and am familiar with the entrance processes for a number of independent and grammar schools.
† I was Head of Latin at a school in Bury St Edmunds for two years (September 2011 to July 2013).
† Since October 2010 I have been supervising Cambridge undergraduates in Latin and Ancient Greek (colleges so far have included Pembroke, Downing, Homerton, Queens', King's, Murray Edwards, Newnham, Caius, Peterhouse, St John's, Emmanuel and Trinity).
† I also own and run a private tuition agency, Titanium Tutors (www.titaniumtutors.co.uk). I set it up in 2011 and since then it has grown to a considerable size, with eight staff members and over 400 inspirational tutors.
- How much do you charge?
- † I charge £120 per hour, for all subjects and levels.
† Sessions longer or shorter than one hour may be booked (the charge will be pro rata).
† I do not charge extra for travel expenses (however, please note that my ability to travel depends on the location of the tutee).
† I do not charge extra for teaching in small groups.
† I guarantee not to exceed the lesson time we have agreed in advance. If I over-run, I will not charge for the extra time.
† Skype and telephone sessions can be arranged (N.B. the same hourly rate will apply). However, certain topics may be better suited to a face-to-face consultation. I will be happy to advise as needed.
† Tutors from my private tuition agency (Titanium Tutors) cost between £42 per hour and £90 per hour, depending on their prior teaching experience. Please see www.titaniumtutors.co.uk for further details.
- Where do you teach?
- † CAMBRIDGE: I tutor from my home in Cambridge during the week. I sometimes travel to students, depending on their location.
† NORTH LONDON: I tutor from my home in West Hampstead on weekends and during school holidays. I sometimes travel to students, depending on their location.
† SKYPE: I have a lot of experience teaching online and have learnt some good tricks for getting the most out of the medium.
- When are you available?
- † WEEKDAYS: in Cambridge
† WEEKENDS: in North London
† SCHOOL HOLIDAYS (including half terms): in North London
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- All ages and levels, from beginners to undergraduates.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- All Latin and Ancient Greek qualifications, from Common Entrance right through to Classics degrees.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes - I have a current DBS certificate and can provide a copy on request.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I favour face-to-face tuition where travel distance allows. If this proves impractical, I prefer to use Skype (using video conferencing).
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- All of my tuition work comes through my own website (www.joehytner.co.uk) and websites such as The Tutor Pages. I also own and run a private tuition agency, Titanium Tutors (www.titaniumtutors.co.uk).
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I did my PGCE (teacher training) at Queens' College, Cambridge, graduating in 2010.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My teaching style is structured and thorough. I start every lesson with a five minute recap of the key content of the previous session, checking how much the tutee remembers. A typical lesson will then consist of a translation, in which I ask the tutee to note down each unknown word as it is encountered and to devise a memory trick which will help them to recall the word in a five minute test at the end of the lesson. Together with the tutee, I will then pick a grammar point which stood out in the translation exercise as requiring the most immediate attention. We will spend five to ten minutes working on that, with the tutee's understanding tested with some reinforcement exercises. At the end of the lesson we will recap all the new vocabulary and grammar which was covered, and I will typically set a manageable 20 - 30 minute homework for the next session based on what was covered in the lesson. Every lesson is of course different, and tailored to the tutee's requirements, but I find this approach works in the vast majority of cases. I consider grammar to be crucially important, but treat it as a means to an end and always emphasise the ways in which it can be usefully applied to translation rather than learned in isolation. I believe that any tutee can excel in Latin and Greek with a little guidance and a decent amount of independent work. Above all, I strive to make my lessons fun and enjoyable. I love my subject and want all of my tutees to love it too.
Send a message to Joe Hytner
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more