Online Handwriting Tutors / Handwriting Lessons
|Sara Sewell||Paddox, CV22|
|Michele Carruthers||Honeybourne, CV37|
|Joshua Tutor||Greenhill, HA2|
|Love2Learn4Success||Bury St Edmunds, IP30|
|Miranda Sadek||Eccleshall, ST21|
|Dorothy Greenald||Trimdon and Thornley, TS29|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Handwriting
- Personal Message
- Hello I am Dorothy, an experienced literacy tutor of many years' standing.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I deliver structured literacy programmes to students of all ages from 6 years to adult. I teach reading, writing, spelling and study skills in a multisensory and cumulative manner. I am able to diagnose Irlen syndrome (visual stress) and identify the correct overlay colour for Irlen sufferers. I am able to conduct online screenings for dyscalculia.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I hold an upper second class honours degree, BA (Hons) and the AKC certificate in religious knowledge from the University of London, King's College. I hold a Postgraduate diploma in Professional Studies in Education (Specific Learning Difficulties), PGDipSpLD, from Kingston University. This was delivered by the Dyslexia Institute, now renamed Dyslexia Action.I am also a certified Irlen assessor and screener (for visual perceptual difficulties).
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Since qualifying in the field of Specific Learning Difficulties, I have been an Advisory Teacher for a local authority, and have worked in secondary and primary schools, delivering literacy programmes tailored to the needs of individual pupils. I have also worked with numerous private pupils of all ages from 6 upwards. I have worked in three Colleges of Further Education, where I have assessed young people and adults for specific learning difficulties, some for DSA purposes. I also support students whom I have assessed. I assess for visual perception difficulties (visual stress, sometimes known as Irlen syndrome), using the Irlen method and am able to supply overlays of a colour suited to individual needs.
- How much do you charge?
- For one to one structured literacy lessons for children and teenagers, the fee is £25 per hour plus45p per mile, both ways. For GCSE tuition it is £30 per hour. For Irlen assessments, the charge is £37.50 plus travel at 45p per mile .For access to work people and undergraduate and postgraduate students, the cost is £65 per one and a half hours minimum, inclusive of travel costs. I do not offer group teaching. All my work is on a one to one basis.
For full SpLD assessments, including comprehensive report with full details of strengths and weaknesses and recommendations, the charge is £295.00, plus travel at 45p per mile. Please note that I am currently unable to assess for DSA purposes.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach at the student's home or at a public library. I teach in all parts of County Durham, Teeside and Cleveland, including Durham City, Hartlepool, Peterlee, Bishop Auckland, Billingham, Sedgefield, Chester-le-Street and Darlington as well as in the surrounding villages.
- When are you available?
- I am available to teach any time on weekdays or Saturdays. During school holidays, I can teach at the same times as in the term time, or at different times as arranged individually.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages from 6 years to adult.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I hold a current CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) disclosure certificate and also a DBS certificate.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- For structured literacy teaching to improve reading and spelling ability I assess the level of a student's reading and spelling ability by sending short tests that can be administered by a parent or friend, then send a weekly workbook (includes instructions) in pdf format by email for a parent, friend or student to print. I agree a time when the child or student will complete the workbook and make myself available by skype or email (your choice) to talk you through the completion of the workbook, which takes around one hour. A workbook may be completed in shorter sessions by a younger child and it will usually be appropriate to agree several shorter sessions, rather than a one hour session. For students under 16 years of age, it is useful to use a literacy game after completion of the workbook. This is sent by email in advance to be printed and cut, together with simple instructions for assembly and the rules of the game.
For handwriting, a sample of the child's or student's handwriting can be sent to me by email or post for me to analyse, and subsequently workbooks in pdf format will be sent by email, with instructions, ready to be printed. These are then returned to me for analysis. I agree a time when the child or student will complete the workbook and make myself available by skype or email (your choice) to talk you through the completion of the workbook, which takes around one hour for most students. A workbook may be completed in shorter sessions by a younger child and it will usually be appropriate to agree several shorter sessions, rather than a one hour session.
For proofreading, please send your work by email or post and I will proofread it and suggest changes where appropriate.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I belong to the Professional Association of Teachers of Students with Specific Difficulties (PATOSS) and to the British Dyslexia Association.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I trained with the Dyslexia Institute, now renamed Dyslexia Action.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- My current students are aged from 6 to 21 and have dyslexic tendencies or have been definitively diagnosed as dyslexic.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I enjoy helping students to achieve their goals.
Send a message to Dorothy Greenald
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more