Online Jazz/ Electric Violin Teachers / Jazz/ Electric Violin Lessons
See Also: Show
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Jazz/ Electric Violin
- Personal Message
- I'm an enthusiastic violinist, my ultimate aim is to make people happy through and with music. I'm an inspiring tutor and a charismatic performer., with classical foundation, a passion for Gypsy music, and a holistic approach to teaching...
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I would teach via skype. Please get in touch for exchanging skype contacts. I would ask for advance payment via credit card or paypal.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach the violin, classical style to advanced level, also folk and world genres, specially Balkan, Eastern European and Gypsy music. I prepare students for grade exams and any other exam thoroughly - my track record of previous students passing exams is 30% with distinction and 50% with merit - I never had a student fail.
I believe in a good technical foundation, despite the style one chooses. To achieve this, I use various methods including elements of Alexander technique and auto-suggestion and playing by ear. This will support smooth bowing, tidy pitch and a great flexibility. It also leads to playing with 'physical ease' (specially important to prevent RSI !).
I also teach basic improvisation, and have some repertoire of folk music from Britain and around the globe. I teach and support reading sheet music, however, I do teach by ear also if required.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I hold a performance and tutor's degree for classical violin from the Leopold Mozart Konservatorium in Augsburg/Germany. Afterwards I graduated from a post-grad course in jazz. My degrees include Music theory, conducting, composition, piano and singing. Since then I have studied many Balkan and Eastern European playing styles from native masters.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- 24 years experience in teaching the violin, mostly one-to-one. I taught all ages and levels, mostly private students, but also at some institutes and schools in Germany and the UK.
15 years of teaching workshops and masterclasses for Gypsy music, improvisation, ensemble playing and music interpretation around the UK.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £35 for regular weekly lessons of 60 min. For 45 min the fee is £27, for 30 min £20. For one-off 60 min lessons the fee is £40. I also can give lessons for groups, please contact me for the precise fees. NEW YEARS OFFER: 1/2 PRICE FOR THE FIRST LESSON !!!
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from my home in Harrow - HA3. It can easily be reached from Wembley, Watford, Stanmore, Willesden and other surrounding places - parking in front of the house is free. In exceptions I can travel to the student's home, however, I will charge extra for this service.
- When are you available?
- I'm flexible, please call for an appointment.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach students from 3 years to any age (I had students who started with 75, and played 3 years later little violin concertos...).
I teach beginners and up to Grade 8. In Gypsy and Balkan styles I teach up to professional level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare students for all grade exams. I prepare Music students for world music degrees.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I'm a member of the Musicians Union.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Leopold Mozart Konservatorium - Classical degree. Professor Bernhard Tluck
Richard Straus Konservatorium - Jazz post-grad. Tutor: Joerg Widmoser
Masterclasses with Isabella Petrosjan
Gypsy Violin: Caliu/Taraf de Haidouks, Tcha Limberger, Winny Mathias
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Currently I teach a couple of young people (8-13 years) of beginner and intermediate level. We are working on improving technique, preparing for exams, and having great joy to play various kinds of music. I also have the occasional advanced student whom I'm coaching in playing with ease - RSI and other physical issues can be avoided by playing without tension, and one's level can be improved immensely by playing dynamically WITH your body, rather then using force. I also have a number of students of intermediate and advanced players who come specifically for Eastern European and Balkan Gypsy music...
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- 1) You can start learning the violin at any age - there is no being 'too old' not even with 70...
2) When learning the violin, always keep in mind that the joy of making music for you and for the people who listen to you is so much more important than playing the right notes!
Send a message to Gundula Gruen
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more