Online Jazz Trombone Teachers / Jazz Trombone Lessons
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Jazz Trombone
- Personal Message
- My name is Ellie Smith, I'm 26 and currently live in Bury, Manchester. I offer private tuition in trombone, singing, violin and beginner piano. Please see updated prices below..
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I would use skype as it is easier and clear for me to explain my ways of teaching
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach jazz trombone as well as offering classical trombone lessons (achieved grade 8 distinction). I also teach violin(up to grade 6 level) and singing - jazz/pop. I also offer beginner piano lessons and descant recorder. I have been lucky enough to run my own trombone master class at the south bank centre in London and have also taught on the jazz summer school in Manchester as part of the National Youth jazz Collectives at band on the wall. The next will be the 4th one, do ask me for more details if you would like your child to be involved!
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I achieved 5 A-C's at GCSE level and 3 A-C's in A level in music, art and photography.
Received a 2:1 in Jazz trombone at Trinity College of music (Completed June 2011)
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I play in many big bands, small jazz ensembles, a 1920's band, and many more in around Manchester and London area. I also had the opportunity to tour with Seal as his backing vocalist and trombone player. I also recorded an album with the 1910-1920's band i play in called 'Albert Balls flying Aces'. Our album is available to purchase now!
I have worked with Manchester Concert Orchestra with Strictly's dance master 'Anton Du Beke', various jazz workshops at band on the wall, and attended many jam's in Manchester. I also play in a great big band in Manchester, playing charts from the great Stan Kenton. We are taking part in Wigan jazz festival soon for our second time.
I have recently finished a great tour working with the english touring theatre and the cast of rsc with their production of 'A Mad world my masters' as their trombone player.
- How much do you charge?
- Age 10 and above:
I charge £30.00 an hour for jazz and classical trombone lessons
£25.00 an hour for vocal lessons - Jazz/pop
£25.00 an hour for violin lessons
£20.00 an hour for piano lessons - £14 for half an hour
Age 10 and below:
I charge £12 for half an hour/£24 for an hour - all instruments
Above the age of 10:All instruments (apart from piano): £20.00 for 45 minutes and £14.00 for half n hour.
If i teach 2 or more people at a time i will charge £15.00pp/p
- Where do you teach?
- I am perfectly happy to teach at home or travel to the pupils house, but I don't tend to travel if it's more than 20 miles. If this occurs, then I do offer alternate weeks to travel to each others home to make it fair for both.
I am based in Bury so as near by towns as possible would be ideal, Oldham, Rochdale, Ramsbottom, and Bolton.
I have been working for the organisation 'One music education' based in Manchester where i teach as a supply cover in all aspects of music (classroom and instrumentation)
I teach a full day of one to one singing on a Monday at Chorlton High School.
I have recently applied to work for Bury Music service as a specialist brass supply teacher.
- When are you available?
Saturday mornings/afternoons (depending on gigs)
most days of the week (depending on various gigs and availability of pupil)
At the moment i teach on a Monday eve, and Thursday, both at home and travelling to the pupils house. I do teach at weekends but it has to suit me because of gigs i have and have to travel to and from so it can work from time to time.
I am happy to work around what the family can do for me to teach their children and what is best for us both. I have a piano at my house now as well as a plastic trombone and my violin - and various recorders!
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- All ages, all levels (Grade1-6)
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Graded exams only if they want to, and a career in music whether this is just an enjoyment or taken seriously, but i would never force a child into anything they don't want to do. Music is an enjoyment, that's important for anyone whilst learning.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes, i have an up to date DBS for One Education Music in Manchester.
I have also completed my training in Safeguarding for children
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the Doncaster youth jazz association based on Beckett road, Doncaster
One education music
Bury Music service - processing
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I studied at Trinity College of Music on the jazz course 2007-2011. My trombone tutors were Malcolm Earle Smith and Mark Bassey.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I used to teach trombone to an adult student, 5 pupils violin and entered one into ABRSM for grade 2, and 3 young pupils on piano.
Being in Manchester now as my base, I am teaching 10 pupils on piano, violin, trombone and voice
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I would really like to interest many young people to take up the trombone as there are not many people out there who play this instrument. The plastic trombone is also a great opportunity for young learners and is very light, fun to play and cheaper to learn on!
Jazz is so enjoyable and I have loved every minute of playing this style of music and have received lots of work from doing so.
Please be in touch if you would like to learn or learn how to sing jazz. I also offer violin lessons too having played the instrument for 15 years now. I offer piano lessons to pupils at beginner level and would like to think i can take them into graded exams up to grade 5 level. I think its important for every young musician to enjoy what they do in music and not to be pressured into making a career out of it, so i would like to help in any way possible, and by doing this i will work on making it fun!
Send a message to Ellie Smith
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more