Find UK Tuition
Brian Pickering - French & German Tutor in Hampshire
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- My whole aim with teaching is to make the experience as enjoyable and beneficial as possible. I am happy to stick to the constraints of examination preparation, but I find that it is a lot better to explore all and any aspects of language as they come up. Knowing those quirky facts or suddenly recognising what was strange about Christmas giftwrap in a French shop brings language alive, and with that, you'll get so much more out of learning than maybe you thought!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I am happy to teach and discuss all aspects of language and communication. I focus on foreign languages (German and French), with a particular interest in understanding these and other languages, but I also teach English at various levels. As well as individual languages, the cognitive processes associated with language processing are of special interest.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- My first degree was in Modern Languages from Oxford; my doctorate was in Psychoacoustics and Phonetics from Oxford.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have worked in the IT industry for many years, including many aspects of speech technology (recognition, synthesis and language understanding) and user-interface design and implementation. I have taught on a one-to-one basis and to small groups French, German and Swedish; I have also done one-off talks and seminars on the brain and language. I have a wide range of experience teaching linguistics and phonetics at undergraduate level.
- How much do you charge?
- For one-to-one tuition, I charge £20 pre-university and £25 for undergraduate level. For any associated travel, I tend to charge a flat fee. For groups up to 5 or 6, I charge £15 per person.
- Where do you teach?
- I usually teach from home in Winchester, but am prepared to travel within a 25-35 mile radius.
- When are you available?
- I am currently available Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays during the day. Evenings are possible by prior arrangement.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- 14 years and above.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Usually, I prepare a plan of work to enable the student to progress in their chosen path without specifically focusing on examinations. I have experience with the Cambridge ESOL certificate examinations, as well as the UK GCSE and A-Level boards.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have a 2006 CRB, and there are a number of more recent checks in process.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- For basic online tutoring, I prepare presentation material for specific points, set and mark associated assignments. Contact is generally via eMail.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I have a passion for all aspects of language; I like to take what seems difficult and make it comprehensible and enjoyable. I am motivated by passing on the interest and enabling all to enjoy and explore languages with me and after.
Send a message to Brian Pickering
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
I suppose like most students, I chose French and German at school primarily because I was good at them. But even then, I was secretly intrigued by how so many different languages had developed in a relatively small area, namely Europe. I was never a quick or strong reader, and yet I soon found myself drawn in to the set texts for A-level and...