Find UK Tuition
Simon Berrie - Chemistry, Biology, Physics Tutor in C, W, SW, NW London, Kensington, Chelsea
- MSci Chemistry with industrial Experience
- I have a recent DBS check
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Having left the teaching profession I have now become a private tutor. I have taught students of all abilities from 11-18 and now want to do this with individuals rather than large groups.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I will teach A-level, IB and IGCSE Chemistry as well as Science for GCSE.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- A level in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing (AS).
MSci in Chemistry from the University of Bristol.
PGCE from the Institute of Education in London.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I was a teacher in Wandsworth for 3 years teaching at an Academy that had a 6th form. During my time there I taught all ages from 11-18 including IGCSE, A-level and IB Chemistry. I taught class sizes from 2 up to 31 for post-16 Chemistry and have had years of experience helping students on an individual level during lunchtimes and after schools.
I have also been a full time tutor in London for 3 years and I have tutored students mostly one to one but also in small groups.
- How much do you charge?
- For all my subjects I charge a flat rate of £40/hr
If you start tuition between September and December I will offer a discount and also if you live close to the W2 area.
- Where do you teach?
- I will teach primarily at students' homes and I am also willing to do online tutoring if required. I live near central London and I am willing to travel to anywhere up to Zone 1 in the E/NE/SE of London; Zone 2 on the SW / NW/ N of London or Zone 3 in the west of London.
- When are you available?
- My availability changes during the year but generally the later in the academic year it gets, the fewer sessions I can offer. By about March most of my evening and weekend spots have been taken, but throughout the year I will often have time to offer during the day.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I will teach anyone willing to learn from the age of 11 and upwards.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I will prepare students for A-levels primarily and GCSEs but I can also prepare students for IB examinations.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- My last DBS certificate was issued in the summer term of 2014.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- If wanted I will tutor online using skype, or any other online video service that students wish to use.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I currently tutor students from a wide range of backgrounds and exam boards. This include IB Chemistry, OCR, AQA and Edexcel across GCSE, AS and A2. All of my students are willing to work towards their respective targets and are eager to ask questions when they are unsure of something.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- With enough time and effort all subjects can be understood, but it requires commitment!
Send a message to Simon Berrie
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
From my experience of teaching A-level Chemistry students over the years, the way students lose the most marks in exams and past exam questions is in the application of their knowledge. Some of the problem comes from the student and what they think about the question. Time and time again I have had students read a question, and not being able...
File Size: 54.23KB
Your lessons were always explained very clearly and were very well prepared and you were also very patient whilst teaching me. You did not just give me good preparation for the exams but you encouraged me to be further interested into the subject. I would definitely recommend you to other people in the future.
- Robert P
I would recommend Simon as a tutor because he is very patient and he sets things out and explains them very clearly
Very professional and engaging tuition with clear explanation of complex ideas with the use of comprehensive presentations. Clear structure throughout the course has made revision more manageable and I now feel more confident in my ability to answer exam questions and my exam technique has improved significantly to the stage where I now regularly exceed my target grade.
You approached the subject with seriousness but your gentle touch made our challenging student not only respond but look forward to his last term and half with you. Had we only found you a year before, Sam would have been a completely different test taker on the day. But with your ability to analyse his test taking flaws, point out even the most basic things without offending our son, he was able to reduce his stress and feel more prepared going into the exam. That was invaluable.
Simon was very methodical in his approach to tutoring me, and was excellent at explaining complex topics. He helped to boost my confidence through regular testing using exam questions and so I felt fully prepared for the exam, I would highly recommend him!
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages