Find UK Tuition
Jack Gordon-Brown - English/ Maths/ History Tutor in Brighton
- MA History, Cambridge
- CRB checked. DBS one can be requested if needed
- The London Academy of Tutors
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am a qualified teacher and tutor with over 6 years of experience teaching in schools, universities and on a one-to-one level.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach Mathematics, English, Science from KS1 up to GCSE and History up to A-level.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a BA and a Masters in History from Emmanuel College, Cambridge. I have also gained a CELTA qualification in language teaching.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have 3 years of experience working at a secondary school in London providing extra support in English, Maths and Science for SEN students and English as an Additional Language students. I have over 5 years of experience tutoring students in these core subjects. I have tutored several families in London for over 2 years and have helped them with the 11+ and 13+ common entrance exams. Most recently, last year I was teaching Maths, English and Science GCSE to a group of 3 students and A-Level History to another 2 students. These students got A*s and As across the board in their GCSEs and my History students achieved As.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge depending on the level of tuition and the distance I have to travel. Generally speaking I am willing to do the second hour of tuition for a discounted price.
My rates start at £40 an hour for Maths and English, up to £60 an hour for History A-Level or something more specialist. If I have to travel more than an hour to get to you I will charge £15 per travel hour.
- Where do you teach?
- London, Brighton, Hove, Lewes, Worthing. I am happy to teach wherever is convenient for you. So long as it is a good learning environment. Tutorials can take place at my home if need be.
- When are you available?
- At the time being I have a fairly flexible, though I will get booked up as we head towards the exam period.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Primarily GCSE level and A-Level, but I have experience teaching KS1,2,3 as well.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- GCSEs, A-Levels, 11+, 13+
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have an old one but am happy to get a new one if it is requested
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I will generally send some reading / work through a few days before the tutorial begins. We will then discuss the material, check understanding of the new concept, try some practice questions and discuss further opportunities for learning.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- No I don't, Though I am the Director of the London Academy of Tutors which operates out of London.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- International House, London.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I am currently teaching one A-Level student Cold War history.
Another student is retaking their Maths GCSE and should pass it in his forthcoming retake.
Another KS2 student who finds reading and writing particularly I am helping develop his reading fluency and phonemic awareness.
Another student is preparing for his GCSE mocks in English and Maths
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Looking forward to meeting you and helping you in whatever I can!
Send a message to Jack Gordon-Brown
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
What's the best way to up-level your work in English literature GCSE? There is no easy way, but early action with revision will make a massive difference to your final mark. How to do it? Follow the steps below! Firstly, read, re-read and read your set texts again. In depth knowledge of the text is a clear signifier of how well student's will...