Find UK Tuition
Tim the Tutor - Maths, Science and English Tutor in East Grinstead
Tim the Tutor Gold Member
- East Grinstead (RH19) View on map
- Last Logged In: 05 Nov 2016
- Sex: Male
- Can Travel To: Crawley, Tandridge, Wealden
This tutor is temporarily unavailable
- Good A Levels in Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
- Good GCSEs in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English Language and English Literature.
- Full, enhanced DBS (CRB) check with "None recorded" in each section.
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I'm amazing at helping other people be amazing!!!
My aim is to increase everyone's understanding of everything!!!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I tutor the three main subjects that people seem to want tutoring in; Maths, Science and English. (Actually it's five subjects if you break the Science down into Biology, Chemistry and Physics.)
My students find it very useful that I can potentially cover a different subject each week, or I can do two hours a week and cover a different subject in each hour.
This obviously makes it much easier for the parents too, because they don't have to find a separate tutor for each subject, or leave their child without the valuable one-to-one support in any of the core subjects.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Effective Education Centre - East Grinstead - 2007
* Teaching Modern Phonics - Pass
* Study Remedies Course - Pass
COSRECI - Plymouth - 2001-2012
* The Technology of Study - Pass
* Basic Study Manual - Pass
* Components of Understanding - Pass
* Communication - Pass
* Personal Efficiency - Pass
Southampton University - 1995-1998
* BSc. Degree - Psychology - 3rd
* 1 Unit - French - Pass
Welbeck College - Worksop - 1993-1994
* A Level - General Studies - A
* A Level - Chemistry - B
* A Level - Physics - B
* A Level - Maths - C
Oakwood Park Grammar - Maidstone - 1989-1992
* GCSE - French - A
* GCSE - Maths - A
* GCSE - Physics - A
* GCSE - English Language - B
* GCSE - English Literature - B
* GCSE - Chemistry - B
* GCSE - Biology - B
* GCSE - Electronics - B
* GCSE - History - C
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I trained as a tutor at the Effective Education Centre (EEC) in East Grinstead in 2007, and since then, I've been tutoring Maths, Science and English, both at the EEC and privately, for ages 5 to 50. However, I mostly help teenagers with their SATs, GCSEs and A Levels.
I started off just tutoring GCSEs, but due to the great demand for A Level tutoring, I revised (by tutoring myself in) the subjects I did for A Level and started tutoring them too. I can now get better grades in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology A Level exams than I could get when I was at school. This shows what a great tutor I am!
- How much do you charge?
- I generally charge £30 per hour for 13+ GCSE and A Level, but £25 per hour for anything below that.
I do sometimes give discounts for multiple students or more than one hour at a time or large advance bookings, but the size of the discount just depends on how I'm feeling that day... So ask me and we'll see what we can work out.
Also, if I have to travel a long way to get to you, I might charge extra for that.
- Where do you teach?
- I can either tutor students:
in my home on London Road in East Grinstead,
or at a tutoring centre that I work at in Smallfield,
or I can see students in their own home if it's not too far.
I generally cycle to my students, and I'm prepared to travel about half an hour between students, which is about five miles or so. That covers places like Turners Hill, Crawley Down, Copthorne, Smallfield, Lingfield, Dormansland, Ashurst Wood, Forest Row and Sharpthorne.
- When are you available?
- I am available most of the time... unless I'm doing something else.
I don't teach at a school, which means I can (and do) work with home-schooled children.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I've tutored students from about age 5 to 50. However, I mostly help students between 10 and 20 with their A Levels, GCSEs, 13+, 11+ and SATs.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I mostly help teenagers with their A Levels, GCSEs, 13+, 11+ and SATs.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have a full, enhanced DBS check from 2012, with "None recorded" written in each section.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I've given several lessons by Skype, and I'm more than willing to do more.
One of my students I was tutoring at a local study centre the other day told me that she thought she was stupid, and she was embarrassed that she was getting tutoring, so she’d told her friend that she meets outside afterwards that she had a job at the centre. I told her quite simply that students of all abilities get tutoring. To reassure her...