Find UK Tuition
Mike Brogan - Saxophone & Clarinet Teacher in Edinburgh, Scotland
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I'm an experienced, professional musician and teacher based in central Edinburgh. Please feel free to browse my profile and contact me if you have any questions.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Jazz and Classical Saxophone
Music Theory Exams
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have BMus (Hons) degree from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama and years of professional experience as both a performer and a tutor.
I am a Henri SELMER Paris Performing Artist, and a D'Addario Woodwinds Performing Artist.
Relevant experience includes:
- Assistant Director and principal organiser of the World Saxophone Congress XVI, St Andrews.
- Saxophone tutor at St Andrews University
- Member of the Apollo Saxophone Orchestra, and the Scottish Saxophone Ensemble.
- Former Chairman and Principal Baritone of the National Saxophone Choir of Great Britain.
- Member of the Clarinet and Saxophone Society of Great Britain.
- Tutor for the Youth Music Initiative’s award-winning Jazz Programme in Aberdeenshire, and previously at St. Mary's Music School, Napier University, George Heriots School, and dozens of primary schools across the UK.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I am a dedicated tutor with extensive experience of teaching in both group and one-on-one settings.
Alongside my private tutoring, I teach saxophone for Edinburgh University and St Andrews University and lead workshops in primary schools across the north of Scotland as part of the Youth Music Initiative’s award-winning Aberdeenshire Jazz Programme. I have also taught saxophone at St. Mary's Music School, Napier University, George Heriots School, and dozens of primary schools across the UK as part of the Live Music Now! charity programme and Transgressive North's school workshop programme.
I have an excellent record of entering pupils for the ABRSM exam syllabus, with 100% merit and distinction level passes. I can also prepare pupils for all levels of the current SQA requirements.
- How much do you charge?
- Both instrumental and theory lessons cost £35 per hour, or £18 for 30 minutes.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from my home in central Edinburgh. I am also happy to travel to anywhere within the Lothian / Fife / Glasgow area - travel expenses may be involved in exceptional circumstances.
- When are you available?
- I teach daytimes and evenings throughout the week. Lessons can be easily arranged to suit student availability.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- All ages and abilities are more than welcome. I have experience of teaching students at all standards from the age of 7 to 80. Whether you wish to pass grade exams or simply learn some good tunes, I'm more than happy to help you achieve your goal!
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I have an excellent record of entering pupils for the ABRSM exam syllabus. I can also prepare pupils for all levels of the current SQA requirements.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes I'm a member of the Disclosure Scotland PVG Scheme (the Scottish DBS equivalent), and I am covered by Public Liability Insurance.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Musicians Union
Clarinet and Saxophone Society of Great Britain
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Junior Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (now Royal Conservatoire of Scotland)
Guildhall School of Music and Drama
Send a message to Mike Brogan
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
The short answer is - as many as possible! Whether you wish to specialise in classical performance, want to become a jazz soloist, or a session musician, it is hugely important that you listen to as many different musicians performing in as many different styles as possible. Despite being a relatively 'young' instrument - 170 years and...
Browse other tutors below who provide Music Tuition, and related subjects: