Find UK Tuition
Afrodita Kathmeridou MA - Violin, Conducting, Music Theory, Composition Teacher in Edinburgh
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Experienced musician and composer with many years long practice in different European countries and various languages. Higher education and university professor. I teach in English, Greek, Russian, Bulgarian, Czech.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Music Theory (general theory and musicianship, harmony, counterpoint, composition analysis)
Composition - classical, popular, jazz
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Currently PhD student in composition at the University of York.
University of Edinburgh-composition with Peter Nelson
Janacek Academy of Performing Arts in Brno, Czech Republic - composition, MMus with First Class
Music Conservatoire and Academy in Sofia, Bulgaria - violin and conducting
- What kind of experience do you have?
- For the last 20 years, I have been a professor of music theory and composition at Prague Conservatoire, International Conservatoire, Jaroslav Jezek Jazz Conservatoire and Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic.
I have extensive teaching experience with preparing students from various countries for entry auditions and final exams (BMus, MMus, ABRSM,Trinity Grades). I have taught the violin ,music theory,composition and conducting for many years.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £30/h and £20/30mins for all subjects. I am happy to offer half price consultation lesson.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach mainly at home but can also travel within Edinburgh area. I also teach online.
- When are you available?
- Generally all week days and weekend from 10am to 6pm. Negotiable.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- All ages and levels, from beginners to professionals. Children from the age of 4.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- All levels of ABRSM and Trinity.
Entry auditions for Conservatories and Universities, degree exams etc. Knowledge in all European music systems.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I do not currently have it as I do not hold a teaching position at a school at present.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I use Skype for online face-to-face teaching for instrumental/theory/composition teaching. I also use email for sending/recieving scanned materials such as pdf /pictures. I have several years of experience teaching online and have found this method to be useful and successful for instrument teaching and theory/composition also. Teaching sessions (frequency and duration) are flexible between 60-90 minutes.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Currently studying PhD in Composition at the University of York.
In Scotland -a visitor of the University of Edinburgh for a year,studying Composition with Professor Peter Nelson.
In Czech Republic composition with renowned composers Miloslav Istvan, Alois Pinos, Pavel Blatny, Ctirad Kohoutek.
In Bulgaria violin with Elena Geneva, Anton Hadjiatanasov and conducting with Vladi Simeonov.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- My former students are now studying at universities, to name a few - City Univeristy in London, University of York, University of Music and Performing Arts in Graz, Austria, Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, Academy of Performing Arts in Prague and Brno, Czech Republic, etc.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My students learn easily and with joy :)!
Send a message to Afrodita Kathmeridou MMus
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
The theory behind Bulgarian Folk music comprises of the historical roots and the systematised sound, rhythmical, instrumental and poetical basis of Bulgarian folk music. There have been newly discovered information about the birth of this culture, which will help us to interpret the music better.