Find UK Tuition
Online GCSE Latin Tutors / GCSE Latin Tuition
Read more about GCSE Latin
See below for Online GCSE Latin Tutors by clicking their names on the left hand side. You may also consider searching a specific postcode area for GCSE Latin Tuition.
If you are a tutor looking for Online GCSE Latin Tutor jobs then sign-up here.
|Nick Rawson||West Midlands, B90|
|Tamara Galloway||Orpington, BR6|
|Dr Julian King||Belfast, BT18|
|Mike Lambert||Stratford-on-Avon, CV37|
|Déborah Natanson||Edinburgh, EH8|
|Gayle Smith||Surbiton, London, KT6|
|Sue Henton||Melton Mowbray, LE14|
|Alice Kornicki||London, N15|
|Joe Hytner||North London, NW6|
|Daniela Gottardello||London, NW11|
|Rachel Friend||London, NW11|
|David Pope||Abingdon, OX14|
|Sue Smith||Wokingham, Berks, RG7|
|Rod Freeman||Wokingham, RG41|
|Thomas Yarrow||Dulwich, London, SE24|
|Rachel Carter||Hertford, SG13|
|Atticus Cox||Chelsea, London, SW10|
|Maria Tsoumaki||South West London, SW17|
|Tom Spencer||London, SW18|
|A Bell||Teddington, London, TW11|
|Ed Martineau||London, WC2|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for GCSE Latin
- Personal Message
- Hi! My name's Ed. I read Classics at St John's College, Cambridge, before going on to train at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School. I now work as a professional actor in London.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I tutor in all areas of Latin and Ancient Greek.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- - BA (hons) Classics (2:1) at St. John’s College, Cambridge (2006-9)
- 2 year FdA in Professional Acting at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School (2009-11)
- 4 As at A level (History, English, Latin and Maths)
- CRB checked
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I've been tutoring Classics for just over four years now. While I was doing my acting training down in Bristol I took up a part-time teaching post with the Classics department at Clifton College. Over the two years there I primarily taught A level language work in Latin and Ancient Greek, as well as preparing their prospective candidates for Oxford and Cambridge. As a freelance tutor, I've taught in all sorts of areas - I like to be teaching a range of things. I've taught Oxbridge applicants, as well as students at both school and university level. The work I've done with my tutees has varied widely. I've assisted some specifically in translating set texts (I'm now very familiar with the OCR Latin and Greek syllabuses!); I've introduced others, who wished to explore beyond their prescribed syllabus, to new areas of literature; and with others I've worked on more wide-ranging ways to deepen literary analysis or approach translation. I should probably add that my language work with school students in Latin has almost exclusively involved tackling the inadequacies of the confounded Cambridge Latin Course! This seems to be taught in virtually every school but seemingly never elects to focus on grammar. If you're a victim of this clueless (and mind-numbingly dull) course I'm more than happy to help!
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £50 an hour.
- Where do you teach?
- I'm based near Piccadilly. I can link up centrally or travel to you - anywhere in London so long as it's not too far.
- When are you available?
- I'm available weekdays and weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Anywhere from beginner to advanced: 11 +, GCSE, IGCSE, A level, and BA level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- GCSE, IGCSE, A Level, BA level.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have numerous CRBs to be honest! You have to get them with every agency you've registered and also when you teach in schools. So numerous!
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I'm more than happy to tutor via Skype. It works absolutely great so long as you have the same material either end. There even exists an Ancient Greek format, which is a fun one to master!
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I used to work for Clifton College in Bristol. I'm registered with a number of agencies in London, including Oxbridge Applications, Keystone Tutors and Blue Tutors, all of whom only hire their tutors after a rigorous interview process.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Do do have a look at my references. I try to keep them up to date!
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I think it's impossible to pin down a sure-fire method of effective tutoring for any given person. People are different; and different methods work with different people. That said, I am a firm believer that you cannot simply speak at someone. Learning has to be an active process, and I think there has to be involvement from both sides for things to sink in. In this light, I do try to make things enjoyable, and also to limit shortcuts; I’m of the view that it’s far better to invest the time in getting firmly to grips with a subject, be it an instance of grammar or literary concept. In the long run that is a shortcut in itself.
Send a message to Ed Martineau
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more