Find UK Tuition
Online Jazz Double Bass Teachers / Jazz Double Bass Lessons
Read more about Jazz Double Bass
See below for Online Jazz Double Bass Teachers by clicking their names on the left hand side. You may also consider searching a specific postcode area for Jazz Double Bass Lessons.
If you are a tutor looking for Online Jazz Double Bass Teacher jobs then sign-up here.
|Huw V Williams||London, E17|
|Andrew Robb||London, EC1|
|Salima Barday||London, IG2|
|Simon Read||Leeds, LS7|
|Oliver Hopkins||Dalston / Hackney, N16|
|Sandy Suchodolski||West Hampstead, NW6|
|Colin Somervell||South East London, SE6|
|Huw Marc Bennett||New Cross, London, SE14|
|Dan Ezard||London, W4|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Jazz Double Bass
- Personal Message
- I welcome all levels of students into my teaching studio and look forward to the variety of backgrounds and experiences that come through here.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach classical and jazz double bass with the French bow and develop the student's understanding of the instrument. All aspects covered, including how to hold the bass (both standing and sitting on a stool), left and right hand technique, scales/exercises, pieces to work on, and theory/aural training. My lessons incorporate Alexander Technique to avoid injury and encourage good playing habits. Music theory and musicianship are covered in all lessons, and I teach music theory separately for those preparing for exams.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I completed my Master of Music in Leadership at Guildhall on a full scholarship studying with Thomas Martin and earned my Bachelor of Music at Juilliard, also on full scholarship, studying with Timothy Cobb.
My Leadership degree as a Guildhall Artist polished my training in performance as well as music education. At Juilliard, I earned the distinctive Peter Mennin Prize for outstanding achievement and leadership as well as completed their D.E.L.T.A. Leadership Program.
I trained in the Alexander Technique for 5 years at Juilliard and Guildhall with teachers Jane Kosminsky, Lauren Schiff, and Selma Gokcen, and incorporate this school of thought into my private lessons.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- As a diverse musician, I play in orchestras, chamber groups, musicals, recording sessions, rock and jazz bands. Groups include the BBC Concert Orchestra, English National Ballet, British Philharmonic, and Gulbenkian Orchestra in Lisbon among others. I have recorded in the Dairy Studios for Nitin Sawhney, toured for Jeff Wayne’s musical War of the Worlds and regularly write and perform original music with my band Flux, which is influenced by Western and Indian classical, jazz, popular and urban music.
- How much do you charge?
- Lessons are £35 per hour for individual lessons.
- Where do you teach?
- Lessons are located in London. It is very close to the Gants Hill tube station on the Central line. Easy travel and access with a double bass.
- When are you available?
- I prefer to teach during the daytime on weekdays, but can accommodate schedules based on both of our availabilities.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages and levels from absolute beginners to seasoned professionals seeking refinement in their playing. I offer students practical advice on becoming a professional musician. Advice on purchasing or renting your first instrument is also available.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare students for any audition, including youth orchestras, conservatoire and professional orchestras.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have an up-to-date CRB disclosure certificate.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- Lessons also available online via Video Skype. This has proven to be a great tool if students have a good internet connection. I currently teach students in four different time zones.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the Musician's Answering Service.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I currently teach a variety of students and age groups, from beginners who are learning how to hold the double bass, to advanced players who have been performing in bands and orchestras.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My aim is to keep the learning environment productive as well as fun. My teaching studio is comfortable with a large mirror that allows students to easily identify technique and posture concepts. A bass stool is provided but I ask my students to bring their own double bass so we can identify and work around any equipment challenges while keeping the setup consistent.
Send a message to Salima Barday
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more