University Classical Studies Tuition in Westminster (Bayswater, Marylebone, Belgravia and Maida Vale)
Tutors in Westminster
- Sorry no tutors found
Tutors travelling to Westminster
- Keith Wilmot Kings Norton, B31
- Tim Strauss Preston Park, BN1
- Déborah Natanson Southside, EH8
- Neil Smith PhD Whitley Bay, NE26
- Jessica White Cricklewood, NW2
- T Blaukopf Hendon, NW4
- Rachel Friend Golders Green, NW11
- David Pope Abingdon, OX14
- Viv Battersea, SW1
- Domenico Gioffré West Brompton, SW6
- Atticus Cox Imperial Wharf, SW10
- Ed Martineau Farringdon, WC2
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for University Classical Studies
- Personal Message
- Hi! My name's Ed. I read Classics at Cambridge before going on to train at the Bristol Old Vic. I'm now working as a professional actor in London.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I tutor in all areas of Latin and Ancient Greek.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- - BA (hons) Classics (2:1) at St. John’s College, Cambridge (2006-9)
- 2 year FdA in Professional Acting at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School (2009-11)
- 4 As at A level (History, English, Latin and Maths)
- CRB checked
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I've worked as an academic tutor for just over four years now.
When I was doing my acting training in Bristol I took up a part-time teaching post with the Classics department at Clifton College. Over the two years I primarily taught A level language work, as well as preparing their prospective candidates for Oxford and Cambridge.
I've free-lanced in all sorts of areas, tutoring Oxbridge applicants as well as students at both school and university level.
The work I've done with my tutees has varied widely. In Latin and Greek, I've assisted some specifically in translating set texts both at school and university level (I'm now very familiar with the OCR Latin syllabus!); I've introduced others, who wished to explore beyond their prescribed syllabus, to new areas of literature; and with others I've worked on more wide-ranging ways to deepen literary analysis or approach translation.
I should probably add that my language work with school students has almost exclusively involved tackling the inadequacies of the confounded Cambridge Latin Course! This seems to be taught in virtually every school but seemingly never elects to focus on grammar, which I find utterly bizarre. If you're a victim of this clueless course I'm more than happy to help!
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £50 an hour.
- Where do you teach?
- I'm more than happy to meet centrally or indeed travel to you.
- When are you available?
- I'm available weekday evenings and weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Anywhere from beginner to advanced: 11+, scholarship, common entrance, GCSE, IGCSE, A level, and BA level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Beginner, 11+, GCSE, IGCSE, AS Level, A Level, BA level.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have numerous CRBs to be honest with you! Every time you register with an agency or work in a school you need to get one, so yes - numerous!
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I'm more than happy to tutor via Skype. It works great so long as you have the same material either end.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I think it's impossible to pin down a sure-fire method of effective tutoring for any given person. People are different, and different methods work with different people.
That said, I am a firm believer that you cannot simply speak at someone. Learning has to be an active process, and I think there has to be involvement from both sides for things to sink in. In this light, I do try to make things enjoyable, and also to limit shortcuts; I’m of the view that it’s far better to invest the time in getting firmly to grips with a subject, be it an instance of grammar or literary concept. In the long run that is a shortcut in itself.
Send a message to Ed Martineau
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more