University Entrance Coaching
- Robin Thornton BMus(Hons) ATCL Banchory, AB31
- Maddy Iqbal Sopwell, AL1
- Faisal101 Central Birmingham, B6
- Keith Wilmot Kings Norton, B31
- Tim Strauss Preston Park, BN1
- Carrie Garbow East Saltdean, BN2
- Dr Perpetua Neo Wish, BN3
- Evie Bentley Hurstpierpoint, BN6
- B Westerman Grove Park, BR1
- Dr Paul Kilkenny Bromley, BR1
- Gloria Toplis Beckenham, BR3
- Michel Orpington, BR6
- Chloe Masterton Lockleaze, BS2
- Andi Cambridge, CB2
- Expert Music Theatre Coaching Hundon, CO10
- Sheena Natasha Chan South Croydon, CR2
- Rachel Hasthorpe Foleshill, CV7
- Dr Stephen Oxley Shirland, DE55
- Colin Beveridge Westham, DT4
- Nasheed Qamar Faruqi Haggerston, E2
- Violet Shoreditch, E2
- Chloe Bradshaw Mile End, E3
- Mark Spillane Waltham Abbey, E4
- Joan Iyiola Clapton, E5
- Josephine Breese Clerkenwell, EC1V
- Chris Heaven Pennsylvania, EX4
- Jack Renninson Exeter, EX4
- Kathryn Wells High Cross, FY6
- Aspire Academy Upton St. Leonards, GL3
- Dr Sue Stroud, GL5
- Kathy Davies Randwick, GL6
- Sandra Burne Cheltenham, GL51
- Jim Simons Cheltenham, GL52
- Adriana Central Guildford, GU1
- Kevin Boyle Central Guildford, GU1
- Jo Anne Newson Pyrford, GU22
- Jeel Shah Wembley Central, HA0
- Dr. Wasim Akber Harrow on the Hill, HA1
- riskhurana Northwick Park, HA3
- Chance2Learn Ledbury, HR8
- Ben Hanson Elland, HX5
- Stefan Gugura Ipswich, IP4
- Zangmo Alexander Rickinghall, IP22
- JN1 Coombe Wood, KT1
- Dr Gansham Halai Thames Ditton, KT7
- Stephen Price Leatherhead, KT22
- Philip Bradfield Dunfermline, KY12
- I. Gardner Sefton Park, L17
- John Sharpe Horncastle, LN9
- Stephanie Bain Fallowfield, M16
- Christine Hubbard Rochester, ME1
- Linda Penney Sharnbrook, MK43
- Alexander Winter Highbury, N1
- Catherine Hamilton Canonbury, N1
- Hywel Nelson Shoreditch, N1
- Tom Menzies Barnsbury, N1
- James Drew-Edwards East Finchley, N2
- Dr Richard Williams Harringay, N4
- Hannah Knight Harringay, N4
- Will Cartwright-Harwood Highbury, N4
- Aileen Bintliff Crouch End, N8
- Emma Murray Crouch End, N8
- Hannah Moss Crouch End, N8
- Kate McCarthy Crouch End, N8
- Owen Leech Crouch End, N8
- Max Churcher Alexandra Palace, N11
- Helen Duff Clapton, N16
- Emily Bliss Kentish Town, N19
- Social Work Tutor Jesmond, NE1
- Andrea Holland Central Norwich, NR1
- Basit Kirmani, MA (Cambridge) Camden Town, NW1
- Howard Taylor St. Pancras, NW1
- Nigel Singh Frognal, NW3
- T Blaukopf Hendon, NW4
- Mrs. Sonia Jallane Swiss Cottage, NW8
- Daniela Gottardello Hampstead Garden Sub, NW11
- Rachel Friend Golders Green, NW11
- Dr Steve Chapman North, OX2
- Arzoo Cowley, OX4
- Dr S V O'Leary Wallingford, OX10
- David Pope Abingdon, OX14
- Dr Gordon Braddock Emsworth, PO10
- David Salmon Goring, RG8
- Mary Mathai East Grinstead, RH19
- Don Nicolson Eckington, S21
- Timothy Walker Linacre, S40
- Gorkem Waterloo, SE1
- London Art Portfolio London Bridge, SE1
- Tom Secretan London Bridge, SE1
- May Robertson Blackheath, SE3
- Ryoko Izutsu Brockley, SE4
- Bianca Bailey Wilson Brockley, SE13
- Sam Jenkins Lewisham, SE13
- Dr Alexandra Klaushofer Crystal Palace, SE19
- Sofia Ruge Sydenham Hill, SE22
- Corrina Connor East Dulwich, SE24
- Thomas Yarrow Tulse Hill, SE24
- Sophie Gledhill Sydenham, SE26
- Michael Steele Knebworth, SG3
- Daniel Joy Ware, SG12
- Pass Psychology Offerton, SK2
- Samanta Datchet, SL3
- Annabel Winchester, SO22
- Nick Collier Enham Alamein, SP11
- Asmah Pimlico, SW1P
- Emma K L Taylor RCA SuperTutor Chelsea, SW1X
- Katrina Durber Westminster, SW1P
- Viv Battersea, SW1
- Emilce Sandra Rees Chelsea, SW3
- Esmee CSM Sloane Square, SW3
- Christopher Foley Clapham Common, SW4
- Rebecca Felton Balham, SW4
- Natasha Tiwari Fulham, SW6
- CS1 Stockwell, SW9
- Dr Peter Cheevers Wandsworth Common, SW11
- Stuart Riddle Putney, SW15
- Dr Abbie Davies Furzedown, SW16
- Mark the Tutor Streatham, SW16
- Amelia Grandidier Balham, SW17
- Martin Richards South Wimbledon, SW19
- Dominic Sewell Raynes Park, SW20
- Studio-TWONOVICE Wimbledon, SW20
- Nicholas Shaddick New Romney, TN28
- Emma-Louise Tinniswood West Twickenham, TW2
- SLakha Heathfield, TW4
- Dr Andrew Levick Hampton, TW12
- Helen McMahon BA Hons West Drayton, UB7
- Chris Battle BSc PGCE West End, W1G
- J Kelly Turnham Green, W4
- J Preece Ravenscourt Park, W4
- Stathis Stefanidis, Director Turnham Green, W4
- Stas Pstrokonski Ealing Broadway, W5
- Susan Hamlyn Ealing Common, W5
- Lynn Foote Ealing Broadway, W11
- Coriden Francis Ealing Broadway, W13
- Stephen Follows Holland Park, W14
- Olga Makarenko Altrincham, WA15
- Mayur Shah Clerkenwell, WC1N
- Greg Buchanan Westminster, WC2H
- Sudeep Ghosh, PhD Oxhey, WD19
- Serena Penn, WV4
- Tom Haggerty Boroughbridge, YO51
All Tuition Centres
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.
- Personal Message
- Highly qualified and experienced music teacher
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Composition (any genre)
A level Music
GCSE Music Composition
Music theory (Grades 6-8)
University Entrance/Audition coaching/particularly Oxbridge entrance
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- MMus MA (Oxon) PGCE ALCM MFIL
I have a music degree from Oxford University, a Masters degree (High Pass) in composition from the Royal College of Music where I was a PRSF scholar. A PGCE from University of Greenwich and a diploma in the violin. I am also a member of the Institute for Learning, the ISM and the PRS.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Over 15 years in teaching A level music, musicianship, composition, theory, harmony and counterpoint. Ex Head of Music at a busy and outstanding OFSTED-rated sixth form college in Surrey (2008-12). I prepared students for all aspects of the A level course as well as chamber music, large ensemble and choral coaching.
I also worked at Trinity College of Music (Trinity Laban) in the Junior Department from 2003-2008 as well as deputised at Junior Academy. I have also worked as a lecturer at Trinity Laban. I've had examining experience with Edexcel and recently oversaw Edexcel's new A level music specification on the HE consultation panel.
Aside from teaching, I am a composer, orchestrator and copyist - having written for the concert hall (premieres at Wigmore Hall, QEH, Royal Albert Hall amongst others) and worked with English National Ballet on two ballet projects, English National Opera, the BBC (Walking with Beasts orchestrator and part preparation), ITV, touring theatre. I have experience in film score reconstructing, having transcribed Walton's Henry V for live performance at the Dome in Brighton (RPO/Carl Davis) and elsewhere in Europe. I have also written a number of film scores - both drama and documentary as well as various commercials. Most recently I've been working as a music producer for Decca on a new Pink Floyd symphonic album and for EMI as an orchestrator.
I have a choral background (Westminster Cathedral Choir 1982-86) and play violin, viola, guitars, mandolin and piano.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £40 per hour. After an initial consultation lesson, I charge in blocks of five lessons or pro rata. I am happy to offer fortnightly lessons for music theory and composing but recommend that A level lessons be weekly. I also teach using Skype.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from home or via Skype. I can teach locally to Wimbledon.
I have Sibelius (version 7) and Logic Pro.
- When are you available?
- This is by negotiation. Any day of the week is theoretically possible.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- 16+ and adults welcome
(my teaching qualification was in sixth form and adult learners)
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- A level Music (Edexcel)
GCSE Music (composition only) (any board)
ABRSM Theory - grades 5-8
University BA/BMus/MMus/PGDip/UCAS coaching
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes. My DBS from South West Music Services/ISM is current (as of January 2014)
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- Skype and email messaging
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- ISM (The Incorporated Society of Musicians)
IFL (The Institute for Learning)
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Oxford University (Susan Wollenberg, John Warwack, Bojan Bujic)
Royal College of Music (Joseph Horovitz, Timothy Salter, David Burnand)
University of Greenwich (Julia Burton)
Private advice/consultations with David Matthews, Robert Saxton and Patrick Doyle
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Many have gone on to read music at Oxford and Cambridge, one in 2013 went to Surrey for their Tonmeister course, and another is off to read creative music technology at Huddersfield University. A younger student has been accepted at the RCM. One of my mature students designed the City of Manchester stadium!!
Between 20-30% of my previous students went on to study music at University or conservatoire - In the past I have sent people to Oxford, Cambridge, RCM, RAM, GSMD, RNCM, Manchester,York , Bristol, Surrey (Tonmeister), Cardiff, Kings College London, Southampton, Harvard, Julliard, Paris Conservatoire. Some are now PhD students and/or lecturers.
Three of my previous students won the BBC Young Composer of the Year competition. Duncan Ward has a fantastic career as a conductor and composer. http://www.duncan-ward.com/conductor/conductor.html
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Composing: I believe ANYONE can write something given the right key to unlocking your potential - it's all about finding and then developing your idiosyncrasies - of course there's also a wealth of traditional techniques which I feel it is essential to have.
Theory: theory isn't boring - it's great and I love teaching it - especially harmony and counterpoint!
A level Music: I love teaching all the really boring bits and making them more interesting...it's about inspiring you - not by delivering OFSTED's version of what they think is a a 'perfect lesson' but by making you think in new and exciting ways.
Send a message to Dominic Sewell
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more