Online University Music Tutors / University Music Tuition
See Also: Show
- Gregory Emfietzis Mortlake and Barnes, SW14
- Stewart Wilson Central Glasgow, G31
- Ed Whitehead Holloway, N7
- Gareth Pr Aylesbury, HP19
- Sally Bridgewater Armley, LS12
- Mari Carmen Redland, BS6
- Aizhana Nurkenova St John's Wood, NW6
- Dr Stephen Oxley Shirland, DE55
- Marianne Tyler Brown Gordon Hill, EN2
- Dominic Sewell Raynes Park, SW20
- Katarina Đorđević Kenton, HA3
- B Westerman Grove Park, BR1
- Duncan Morrell Nidd Valley, HG3
- Firat Altay Harringay, N4
- Dr Geoffrey Govier Knightsbridge, SW7
- Alex Jeffery Putney, SW15
- Gloria Toplis Beckenham, BR3
- Edgar Cardoso Blackheath, SE10
- Lindsay Carter Cotham, BS8
- J Preece Ravenscourt Park, W4
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for University Music
- Personal Message
- Highly qualified and experienced music teacher
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- Skype and email messaging
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Composition (any genre)
A level Music
GCSE Music Composition
Music theory (Grades 6-8)
University Entrance/Audition coaching
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- MMus MA (Oxon) PGCE ALCM MFIL
I have a music degree from Oxford University, a Masters degree (High Pass) in composition from the Royal College of Music where I was a PRSF scholar. A PGCE from University of Greenwich and a diploma in the violin. I am intending to commence studies for a PhD in screen music at Kingston University in 2014. I am also a member of the Institute for Learning, the ISM and the PRS.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Over 10 years in teaching A level music, musicianship, composition, theory, harmony and counterpoint. Ex Head of Music at a busy and outstanding OFSET rated sixth form college in Surrey (2008-12). I prepared students for all aspects of the A level course as well as chamber music, large ensemble and choral coaching.
I also worked at Trinity College of Music (Trinity Laban) in the Junior Department from 2003-2008 as well as deputised at Junior Academy. I have also worked as a lecturer at Trinity Laban. I also have examining experience with Edexcel and am now an academic consultant for the new A level music specification.
Aside from teaching, I am a composer, orchestrator and copyist - having written for the concert hall (premieres at Wigmore Hall, QEH, Royal Albert Hall amongst others) and worked with English National Ballet on two ballet projects, English National Opera, the BBC (Walking with Beasts orchestrator and part preparation), ITV, touring theatre. I have also written scores for commercials such as Diageo for Blossom Hill and most recently the Fish Society. I also write short film scores.
I have a choral background (Westminster Cathedral Choir 1982-86) and play violin, viola, guitars, mandolin and piano
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £40 per hour. After an initial consultation lesson. I charge in blocks of five lessons. I am happy to offer fortnightly lessons for music theory and composing but recommend that A level lessons be weekly. For 'extra' help and guidance with A level I am happy to give one off lessons by negotiation. I also teach using Skype.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from home or via Skype. I can teach locally to Wimbledon.
I have Sibelius (version 7) and Logic Pro.
- When are you available?
- This is by negotiation. Any day of the week is theoretically possible.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- 16+ and adults welcome
(my teaching qualification was in sixth form and adult learners)
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- A level Music (Edexel)
GCSE Music (composition only) (any board)
ABRSM Theory - grades 5-8
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes. My DBS from South West Music Services/ISM is current (as of January 2014)
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- ISM (The Incorporated Society of Musicians)
IFL (The Institute for Learning)
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Oxford University (Susan Wollenberg, John Warwack, Bojan Bujic)
Royal College of Music (Joseph Horovitz, Timothy Salter, David Burnand)
University of Greenwich (Julia Burton)
Private advice/consultations with David Matthews, Robert Saxton and Patrick Doyle
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- One was recently accepted for a place at Oxford to read music and another is off to read creative music technology at Huddersfield University. A younger student has been accepted at the RCM.
Between 20-30% of my previous students went on to study music at University or conservatoire - In the past I have sent people to Oxford, Cambridge, RCM, RAM, GSMD, RNCM, Manchester,York , Bristol, Surrey, Cardiff, Kings College London - many of the top universities in the UK. Some are now PhD students.
Three of my previous students won the BBC Young Composer of the Year competition
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Composing: I believe ANYONE can write something given the right key to unlocking your potential - it's all about finding and then developing your voice - of course there's also a wealth of traditional techniques which I feel it is essential to have.
Theory: theory isn't boring - it's great and I love teaching it - especially harmony and counterpoint!
A level Music: I love teaching all the really boring bits and making them more interesting...it's about inspiring you - not by delivering OFSTED's version of what they think is a a 'perfect lesson' but by making you think in novel and exciting ways.
Send a message to Dominic Sewell
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more