- A teacher’s view of the value of private tuition
- The value of 'just a minute'
- How to Revise: an effective approach
- Fascinating Number Properties
- How to Undermine Your Child's Study of Maths
Problem-solving can be a very difficult task. But when a specific method is used, the problems can be solved much more easily.
General Problem-Solving Technique
A technique for solving any type of problem involves:
- Identify whats being given
- Clarify whats being asked
- Select a strategy (trial and error, search, recall, deductive reasoning, working backwards, etc)
- Solve using the selected strategy
- Review your answer
Problem-Solving Technique for Word Problems
A problem-solving strategy that turns the above general strategy into a strategy specifically for solving word problems is the KUDOS method:
- K = Known (identify the known)
- U = Unknown (identify the unknown)
- D = Definition (identify definitions, equations, equalities, constants needed)
- O= Output (use your definitions to output an answer)
- S = Substantiation (check appropriateness, units and significant figures of your answer).