Find UK Tuition
Jim Baker - Chemistry Tutor in Lincoln/ Lincolnshire/ Online
(click on the subjects to see other online tutors)
- Personal Message
- Hi, my name is Jim Baker. I have been teaching chemistry very successfully for over 46 years. The comments in my guestbooks at : http://goo.gl/l1f3Qy and http://goo.gl/EOLwkC speak for themselves.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Diploma in Education - The University of Sheffield - 1970
BSc Special Hons Chemistry - The University of Sheffield - 1969
- What kind of experience do you have?
- A Maverick
2016 - Board Member of ViWeD (Virtual World Education)
2016 - Freelance Consultant with Real World Education Group Ltd.
2016 - Educational Consultant to Ekin Knowledge
2015 - Digital Champion Volunteer
2014 – Contributory Author of ‘Teaching Secondary Science’ (Fourth Edition)
2014 - Consultant to Highgate Private School, Cyprus
2014 - Educational Consultant to Angel Digital
2013 - Member of GAB (Global Advisory Board) for NGGE (Next Generation Global Education)
2013 - Chemistry Expert for ‘The Chemistry Journey Project’ for The Virtual School Initiative
2012- GTN Teacher Adviser
2012 - 2013: Freelance educational consultant with EM Direct on their Graduate Teacher Programme
2011- : Teaching AS/A2 Chemistry at SSPP
2010 - 2011: Freelance educational consultant with EM Direct on their SKE programme.
2009 - 2011: An associate with LSN on their 'Starting Out Programme'
1974 - 2008: Chemistry teacher at Lincoln Christ's Hospital School. During that time, in 1997, I reached the final 13 in the Salter’s “Chemistry Teacher of the Year” award and in my penultimate year of teaching, 2007, I was awarded a “Lifetime Achievement Award”. Upon retirement I was Deputy Head of Science in charge of behavioural management. In the 1990s our school was at the forefront of teacher training in schools and I was our school’s chief mentor and liaison officer with Sheffield Hallam University. After coaching other staff to take on that role, I became involved with mentoring NQT’s in Science.
1970 - 1974: Science Master, Lincoln School
Specialties: Providing resources for teachers and students.
Maximising students' learning.
Advising fellow teachers on 'what really works'.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £50 an hour (includes free e-help between sessions).
- Where do you teach?
- I now teach online only. This gives far greater flexibility, avoids delays and frustration due to traffic problems and allows me to share any documents both on my PC and in the cloud.
- When are you available?
- I am available most days apart from Fridays. I am available most times of the day.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach GSCE, AS and A2 chemistry.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare my students for GCSE, AS and A2 chemistry.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have an enhanced CRB check.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I use Skype or Google Hangouts to tutor online. I find Skype coupled with 'Whiteboard Notepad' particularly effective as the whiteboards can be easily saved and shared with tutees. If for any reason there is a technical problem with the internet, the fee will be pro rata for the time online. Payment is made into my bank account or PayPal account within one day of the lesson.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I'm a member of the NUT and registered as a 'Freelance Educational Consultant'.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I completed my degree and teacher training at The University of Sheffield.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Check the comments in my guestbooks at http://goo.gl/l1f3Qy and http://goo.gl/EOLwkC
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- The comments in my guestbook 'say it all'.
Send a message to Jim Baker
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
Teachers do their best to leave a permanent impression every lesson, but what they teach doesn’t always stick. I must begin by giving my definition of ‘learning’. Learning is not remembering facts in order to pass an examination: learning is understanding. By understanding, the learning is not forgotten. The times I have heard it...
To solve this problem of enthusing the unenthusiastic pupil we must first ask ‘Why is the pupil unenthusiastic? Two reasons for this lack of enthusiasm are 1) being preoccupied with ‘outside’ issues 2) not finding the teacher ‘entertaining’, hence my reply ‘entertainer’ when asked what I do. There is not a lot we can do about 1)...
Throughout my teaching career of 43 very successful years at the chalk-face, I have always looked for ways to improve the learning of my pupils. Check out my latest 'Prezi' - The Way Forward - here: http://prezi.com/mpzmc8qj_96f/the-way-forward/ I equate giving a pupil some facts to giving someone a bowl of rice which will feed him/her...
Jim, just a quick post to say how much we really appreciated your time, patience and help with our daughter. She did fantastically well in her Chemistry A Level (B) considering she got a D in her AS. She's now off to uni. There is no doubt that her success in the end is largely down to you. Thanks again and best wishes. Andrew and Caroline Gresham.
- Andrew Gresham (UK)
Despite my short time with Jim as a tutor, in just three classes he was able to enlighten me helping me to cover complex concepts which were not explained to me in detail or in a precise manner in my school.
I want to personally thank you for the enthusiasm and constant dedication through the weeks we worked together and I would definitely recommend you.
You are a professional, no need to say anything else.
Take Care and Best Wishes
- Alex Franch (Spain)
Being taught by Jim through flipped learning on Skype has been invaluable to my progress through A-level Chemistry. He thoroughly explains everything clearly and replies to any queries you may have very quickly, at any time. Couldn't recommend enough!
- James O'Boyle (UK)
I am very grateful to Jim for very useful and nice lessons for Edexcel A-level Chemistry. My son said the lessons improved his understanding of chemistry significantly. And I saw Jim's lessons were a PLEASURE for my son. Jim is an excellent teacher.
- Arina Korochkina (Russian Federation)
Would strongly recommend Jim if you're struggling with A level Chemistry. He really helped me raise my C grade in As to an A grade in A2 helping me to secure my place in university. It's really helpful to have an experienced chemist and teacher on hand to answer any queries you may have.
- Moriah Thomas (UK)
I left sixth form 2 years ago, and I am now in my first year of university and still in contact with Jim. He has helped me enormously with various chemistry topics this year. It's great to have someone, especially an old teacher still helping in further education!
- Matthew Gell (UK)
Jim Baker is a wonderful teacher. He is a man who started to influence my world from the first words I heard from him. His attitude to the teacher's profession deserves the highest praise, his modesty and his attitude to people make us respect his personality. I have already used some techniques, which he has kindly shared with us, in my classroom. The meeting with Jim Baker is surely one of the most beneficial events in my life this year.
- Yuri Zverev (Russian Federation)
Jim is undoubtedly one of those inspiring and beneficially contagious personalities one can only wish to meet if but once in one's life. Unite this with a sheer passion for teaching, and what you are bound to get can be at the same time involving, challenging, ispiring and life-changing. A lot of respect.
- Marcovalerio Di Schiena (Italy)
Jim is an amazing teacher with great chemistry knowledge, who is always willing to altruistically lend a helping hand to a fellow teacher.
- Amanda Edward (Canada)
Being an online teacher, I've had a few Skype sessions with Jim Baker who has always been extremely helpful in discussing new teaching methods, new technology, new devices I’ve never heard of. Thanks to Jim and his idea of flipped learning, I’ve entirely changed my approach to teaching adults. I’ve got great results with my students after applying the flipped learning approach with my students. That’s a real game changer.
Jim, thanks a million!
- Lyudmila Mandell (Russian Federation)
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages
Browse other tutors below who provide Chemistry Tuition, and related subjects: