Find UK Tuition
Stewart Wilson Classical/ Jazz Double Bass, Bass Guitar Edinburgh
- I have full disclosure
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am a freelance double bass and bass guitar player living in Edinburgh.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach classical and jazz double bass covering areas such as general technique - basic to advanced - as well as musicianship. We can work on various styles of music including classical, jazz, folk, world music and pop. I also offer lessons on bass guitar. Musicianship is an important area for me and I can provide tuition on rhythm, ear training, improvisation and musical dictation. Other areas I cover include piano tuition, guitar lessons, music theory and composition.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I studied as both an undergraduate and a postgraduate at the RNCM in Manchester. I graduated from my Bachelor of Music in 2011 and completed my Master of Music in 2013. I also have an ATCL Diploma in double bass performance.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- One of my favourite things about the bass is how versatile the instrument is and this has allowed me to experience a wide-range of both performance and education scenarios.
I have worked with professional orchestras such as the BBC Philharmonic, the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, the Halle Orchestra and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra appearing at the BBC Proms and touring abroad as well as regularly appearing around the UK.
I have performed on BBC Radio 3 and have appeared in a variety of ensembles from duo/trio to big band. I currently the bass player for the Beats & Pieces Big Band and regularly perform with them around the UK and in Europe. Another project I play with is the Johnny Hunter Quartet. I have played at the North Sea Jazz Festival, the Manchester Jazz Festival and the Manchester International Festival as well as appearing at Celtic Connections and the Edinburgh International Festival. Other performances have included playing at WOMAD and Love Supreme Festivals.
As an educator I worked for a year as a musician at the Big Noise project for Sistema Scotland in Raploch and continue to work there and at the Sistema projects in Govanhill and Torry as a cover musician. I have tutored at the European Jazz Academy in Germany as well as providing private one to one tuition for several years. I have also designed and taken part in several musical workshops in a variety of scenarios including a residential project on Uist, working with local primary schools. For over a year I was also involved in the MUBU project in Helensbugh teaching primary children the bass guitar.
I have been an active member of Live Music Now Scotland for 3 years and this has allowed me to gain experience in working with people of all ages. Projects have included being trained and delivering music to Nursery classes whilst other projects involved performing in care homes with elderly audiences.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £25 per hour and £15 per half hour for bass tuition. Students are £20 per hour.
- Where do you teach?
- I can teach at my home in Edinburgh but am also willing to travel to surrounding areas/towns. A travel fee will apply.
- When are you available?
- My schedule during the week is very flexible so we can work out a time which suits you best. I can usually offer morning, afternoon or evening lessons - whichever you prefer!
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages/levels right through from beginners to advanced players. All ages are welcome - I believe it's never too late to start learning the bass!
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- ABRSM performance and theory exams as well as Trinity qualifications. I can also offer preparation and advice for auditions or just if you need a helping hand with practice!
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I can offer online lessons using Skype - the same rates apply for these lessons.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the Musician's Union.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- My tutors at the RNCM with Jiri Hudec (Principal Double Bass of the Czech Philharmonic) and Roberto Carrillo Garcia (Principal Double Bass of the Halle). I have also received jazz tuition from Steve Berry.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- My current students vary in age and experience. I have both younger students who are working towards School exams or youth ensembles and older students who are either learning an instrument as a new project or rekindling a past hobby.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I'm an enthusiastic teacher and bass player who's keen to meet new bassists and to provide guidance and advice on all bass matters.
Send a message to Stewart Wilson
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
There are many useful teaching aids available to bassists who wish to improve their jazz playing. The best books I have come across are the Dutch bassist, Hein van de Geyn's books entitled 'Comprehensive Bass Method'. There are 2 books in the method with the first book covering technique, theory and general advice about jazz bass playing and...
File Size: 27.36KB
File Size: 69.79KB
File Size: 53.95KB