Find UK Tuition
Fiona - Spanish / English Tutor in Peterborough
- BA (Hons) Spanish & Business Studies
- Enhanced CRB certificate
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I help people of all ages and abilities learn Spanish, English and other languages for exams, holidays or business. Learning another language is such a worthwhile thing to do and can open up many doors. I find my work enjoyable and very rewarding.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach Spanish, English as a Foreign Language and now offer French, Italian, Portuguese, German and Chinese language tuition.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have GCSE Spanish (A), A' Level Spanish (A) and a BA honours degree in Spanish and Business Studies (2:1) from Hull University. I am fluent in Spanish after studying it for over ten years and having lived and studied in Spain and Argentina. I also have a TESOL qualification.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have enjoyed teaching Spanish since 2005 to people of all ages, from 3 years old to over 80. I teach all levels, from complete beginners, GCSE, A' Level or degree level as well as adults wishing to learn for holidays or business trips, or people who plan to live in Spain or South America. I deliver training courses for international companies whose staff deal with offices and clients abroad. I run after school language clubs in local primary schools. I also offer a professional translation and interpreting service.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £35 per hour. This includes lesson preparation time, all worksheets plus marking of activities completed between lessons as well as any extra advice between lessons.
Depending on the distance there may be a small charge for travel.
Two-to-one and three-to-one lessons are discounted.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach face-to-face lessons at home or in the client's home or office as well as virtually over Skype. I teach in Peterborough and the surrounding areas - Stamford, Oundle, Crowland, Bourne, Spalding, March, Helpston, Market Deeping, Baston, Stilton, Ramsey, Whittlesey and Corby. I can also provide tuition in other areas of the UK.
- When are you available?
- I am available weekdays 8.30 am - 7 pm during both term time and holidays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages from 4 years old to 80+ years. I teach all levels including complete beginners, children, GCSE, AS, A'-Level, degree level as well as adults returning to learn Spanish after a break or refresher lessons before a holiday or business trip.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- GCSE, A-level, degree level exams, IB, DELE, Institute of Linguists exams.
English as a foreign language: FCE, CAE, IELTS exams.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes, I have an enhanced CRB certificate.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I offer online lessons via Skype. Online lessons are also available with native or non-native tutors in French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German and Chinese. Payment must be made in advance of the lesson. I email relevant worksheets and exercises a few days before the lesson.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Hull University and the University of Valladolid. TESOL certificate.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- My youngest students are aged 4. They enjoy the lessons as I make them as "hands-on" and enjoyable as possible using flashcards, games, music, art and stories. It is amazing how quickly children this age pick up new words. I help families learn as much Spanish as possible before they emigrate to Spain next year. I am very proud of the A' Level students that I have been tutoring this past year, as they have all achieved the grades they needed to get a university place. I also help GCSE students gain confidence in Spanish for their exams. I am currently delivering corporate language training courses in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and English (as a foreign language) for companies that deal with offices abroad. I provide cultural and language training for employees who are preparing to work and live in Spain, France, Germany, Italy or South America.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Learning a foreign language can be one of the most rewarding and worthwhile things you will ever do. You will be amazed at how quickly you progress with private tuition. I create my lessons to suit each person and I am always looking to find new and up-to-date ways to make learning as effective and as enjoyable as possible.
Send a message to Fiona
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
There has been overwhelming support for Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, who made the decision last summer to make foreign languages compulsory for all children aged seven from September 2014. Languages such as French, German, Spanish, Mandarin and Greek will be taught in primary schools as part of the National Curriculum. A UK government...
Are you looking for more interesting and fun ways to improve your Spanish that do not take much time or effort? The following ideas from learners will inspire you and keep you motivated. As there are so many options available, I would suggest trying one idea at a time so that you don’t become completely overwhelmed. 1. Listen to podcasts in...
Are Spanish Skype lessons as effective as face-to-face tuition? Skype is free to download and allows you to communicate with people all over the world via videoconferencing. It is becoming more and more popular with language learners as it is an amazing tool to learn a language effectively. I have noticed a steady increase in the number of...
Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, spoken by 350 million people in Central and South America and Europe. By learning Spanish you will be able to communicate with more people, enhance your travel experiences, improve your employment potential and create many more opportunities for yourself. With today’s global...
File Size: 2.45MB
File Size: 1.63MB
File Size: 1.07MB
File Size: 510.79KB
File Size: 32.5KB
I have always wanted to speak Spanish to a level but never really believed that I could do it. Last year I decided to ask Fiona to become my private Spanish tutor and the difference in such a short time is amazing. I went on holiday to Spain with my family and found myself able to order food in restaurants and even engaging in some conversation with locals. Fiona tailored my learning to what I needed and this is why she is so good. I couldn’t recommend anyone more highly.
- Mark Bentman
Languages have always been a challenge for me but after a few weeks of lessons with Fiona I really felt I had made progress. There are two key reasons why recommend Fiona to anyone wanting to improve their Spanish;
Fiona tailors every lesson to what you want to learn and to your ability. Despite the preparation required for this flexible approach to teaching, Fiona always came well prepared with a full lesson plan.
Fiona is simply a great teacher.
- Mark Hatch
My son took Spanish lessons with Fiona on Skype, a few months before his GCSE’s. Fiona was always very patient, friendly, calm and encouraging. She made sure he had the material right in advance so that they both were prepared for the lesson. She was so flexible with timing etc. that she even fitted in some lessons while she was away in Argentina. Naveen and I are really grateful to her and would not think twice to recommend her to anyone.
- Archana Soman
Fiona gave me a great kick start (from scratch) in Spanish prior to moving to Madrid for work. Classes were flexible to my requirements and time constraints. Without the classes I would have been lost when flat hunting and settling into the city.
- Ben Spruce
I cannot recommend Fiona highly enough, her skill lies in completely understanding the level to work at with you as an individual. She then shows incredible patience as she works with you to build your grammar, vocabulary and, most of all, your confidence. As a result of the lessons with Fiona, I was more than able to hold my own in conversations with Spanish nationals.
- Stephen Molesworth
Fiona, as for your tuition service, I cannot begin to thank you! At first I was sceptical of how much I would benefit, but in just four lessons I could see visible progress and more importantly it made me like the language! It reminded me that speaking a language is fun and for the first time ever I could be relaxed speaking it without having total blanks. As soon as I finish my exams, I will be keeping up weekly Skype tuition with you!
- Megan Morgan-Harris
I had specific requirements that I discussed beforehand with Fiona and she put together a tailored programme that met my needs and set me up perfectly for spending several weeks in Spain. I have been back to Fiona for refresher sessions too. She has tremendous reserves of patience and great empathy to guide you to what you are trying to achieve.
- Peter Beuken
I started learning Spanish with Fiona in preparation for a holiday to Cuba last year. I enjoyed being able to speak Spanish on my holiday, it definitely allowed me to have more fun, and so I decided to continue my Spanish lessons on my return. I have found Fiona to be very helpful and patient and her enthusiasm for the language has encouraged me to travel to South America next year where I am looking forward to using my new skills.
- Victoria Jackson
Emelia has been going to Spanish lessons for over 6 months now. She really enjoys it and it has helped her stay ahead at school. It has made her more confident and will benefit her a great deal in the future. Fiona is a fantastic teacher, who is extremely professional, kind and welcoming. Starting Emelia at Spanish was the best decision I made, she has learnt so much and loves going. Both of my girls will continue to go to Spanish as I believe it will help them with their education in the future.
- Stacey Karton
Fiona has helped me gain confidence in listening and improved my fluency in grammar. I found this very difficult before, but Fiona made it seem much simpler. She helped me through my exams at a stressful time, and I achieved a good B overall, including an A in speaking (AS level). The lessons were very pleasant and suited to my requirements, and I learned more than in school lessons.
- Emma Bostock
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages