Find UK Tuition
Birgit Piegeler-Hughes - German/ French Tutor Wellington/Taunton/ Online/ Somerset/ Exeter/ Devon
- Staatsexamen in Englisch & Französisch
- MA in Translation and Interpreting
- Enhanced Certificate Number 001473951882
- Institute of Translation and Interpreting
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am an experienced language teacher from Germany, who enjoys teaching languages for work, school and play. I also work as a translator and conference interpreter for German, French and English.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I'm passionate about teaching German (my native language), as well as French (my favourite language), to interested and motivated students of all ages and backgrounds.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I am qualified to teach languages up to A-Level in Germany and was trained as an adult education tutor in England.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- In England, I have tutored for more than twenty years, for the local authority, for commercial providers or privately. I have also prepared college students for their AS + A2 language exams, taught Business German and French during work time, tutored language graduates for their final exams and helped adults with their first and more advanced steps in both languages. For the past few years I have also occasionally delivered language workshops and residential programmes for language enrichment and courses for German at GCSE and A-Level here in Somerset.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £30 an hour for individual tuition. Face-to-face lessons last 60-90 minutes, except for sessions with young children that need to be shorter and are capped at 60 minutes maximum. On-line tutoring by Skype is also usually for an hour. If groups or individuals are prepared to book and pay for ten or more lessons in advance, I may reduce my fee by 10%. Otherwise, for group sessions of 2 or more students, my hourly rate is the basic fee plus £10 per additional student divided by the total number of students in the group. If I'm required to travel, I have to charge a mileage fee of 45p/mile and only ask to be reimbursed for my travel time on top of that if my travel time exceeds 15 minutes in either direction.
- Where do you teach?
- I usually teach at home in Wellington, but also make the occasional trip to teach elsewhere in Somerset, especially for corporate clients. I might even venture across the county border into Devon.
- When are you available?
- I generally teach from 9:00am - 6:00pm but could make myself available at evenings or weekends. My fee is £35/hr after 6:00pm on weekday evenings, or on a Saturday. I may occasionally teach on a Sunday but only by separate negotiation.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I am competent to teach all ages at all levels.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare pupils, as well as college and university students, for their GCSE, iGCSE, AS / A2, IB and undergraduate language exams. With adults I follow the principles of the European Reference Framework for Languages, which is an indirect preparation for any of the known language proficiency tests in both German and French.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes, I have an up-to-date certificate, as I need it for my residential work with able and interested students. It is renewed on an annual basis.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I tutor with the help of Skype and a webcam, because it's very important for language tuition to not just hear each other! But I'm equally prepared to communicate by e-mail if students just require written feed-back.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Yes, I am a member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI).
- Where and with whom did you train?
- My university education in modern foreign languages was obtained in Bonn, Berlin and Toronto. My Diploma in Translation is from the Chartered Institute of Linguists and my MA in Interpreting and Translation is from the University of Bath. When working for Somerset Community Education as an adult education tutor and extra-curricular tutor in primary schools, I trained at Somerset College.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Honing your language skills, at whatever level of proficiency, does not have to be daunting. On the contrary, in the right environment it can be easier and more enjoyable than you might think.
Send a message to Birgit Piegeler-Hughes
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
Interested students and their parents often ask me why they should prioritise German over other languages, or indeed school and university subjects, when it comes to decisions about lifestyle and career choices. Contrary to the common myth that the decline of German in the UK is inevitable, I strongly believe that the case for German in the...