Find UK Tuition
Lorna Stanley - Chemistry Tutor in Abergavenny
- B.A. (hons) and M.A. Biochemistry (Oxford University)
- PGCE (Sussex)
- DBS current certificate (2016)
- Teacher at Wey Education
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I look forward to hearing from students who would like support in preparing for GCSE and A level exams in Chemistry. I am patient and friendly and really enjoy helping students reach their goals. I've been teaching for 34 years!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach chemistry.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a B.A. (hons.) and M.A. in Biochemistry (Oxford University) and a PGCE (Sussex University). I also studied Open University courses in Environmental Policy and have a M.Ed. in Leadership and Management.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have taught for 34 years in a variety of schools including state comprehensive and grammar schools. I also taught for 5 years in a private exam cramming college and on Easter revision courses. I enjoy private tuition and getting to know students and their families and have had excellent feedback and success. I currently teach part time for Wey Education and am developing online resources and teaching over the Internet.
- How much do you charge?
- My standard fee is £35 an hour for A level and £30 for GCSE. For travel to locations more than 6 miles from Crickhowell (NP8) I would have to charge extra to cover petrol costs but always aim to be fair. I am also willing to give a discount if 2 or more students would like a lesson together.
- Where do you teach?
- I am happy to teach in my own home if convenient for you) or visit you in your home. Towns near to me are Abergavenny, Monmouth, Brecon, Newport, Usk, Ebbw Vale, Merthy Tydfil, Talgarth. I live in Crickhowell in Powys but am near Abergavenny in Monmouthshire.
- When are you available?
- I am available Monday to Sunday inclusive. I prefer to teach after 4pm but am available during the day at weekends too. School holidays are also available.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- My experience is with students of age 14+ in the preparation towards GCSE and A level exams. I particularly enjoy teaching A level students and clarifying what is needed to get a high grade in A level chemistry. My students have commented what amazing progress they have made and how it has boosted their confidence.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- As I live in Wales, WJEC is the sole examining board but I also have a lot of experience teaching OCR, AQA, IB and Edexcel.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have a current DBS certificate and have completed child protection training. I am willing to show my certificate.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I am very happy to teach by Skype. I send resources that students can use in advance once we have set the topic for the lesson. I have a large bank of topic-based questions and markschemes. I also recommend powerpoints by Knockhardy and I can share my screen so that we can discuss the resources together. I also recommend using a mini whiteboard in the lesson by webcam. Payment for lessons can be made by using Paypal or by direct bank transfer. It works very well and is very little different to me actually being there in person.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I trained at a comprehensive school in Hounslow.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I currently teach a number of students from my local high school and really enjoy seeing them progress..
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My students have found me very helpful and have made excellent progress.
Send a message to Lorna Stanley
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
A Level Chemistry is a lot different to GCSE. At GCSE you don't need to get a high percentage in order to get a high grade. At A level it's different. Universities will expect you to get a grade A or B and so you need to achieve at least 70% average on all your exams. That means you can't afford to coast through the course and start your...
Browse other tutors below who provide Chemistry Tuition, and related subjects: