Find UK Tuition
Quality Physics and Maths Tutor - Dr Alan Gray
(click on the subjects to see other online tutors)
- Personal Message
- I am a highly qualified and experienced professional academic offering quality online tuition in physics and maths.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Physics and Maths
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- My qualifications include:
* Ph.D. Theoretical Particle Physics, The University of Glasgow (2003) - Thesis won UK-wide Ogden Prize
* 1st Class MSci Physics and Mathematics Degree, The University of Glasgow (2000)
* Higher Physics (Scottish equivalent to A-level): Grade A (1996)
* Higher Mathematics (Scottish equivalent to A-level): Grade A (1996)
* Standard Grade Physics (Scottish equivalent to GSCE): Grade 1 (1995)
* Standard Grade Mathematics (Scottish equivalent to GSCE): Grade 1 (1995)
- What kind of experience do you have?
- In my day job I work as an academic researcher & lecturer within the School of Physics at The University of Edinburgh, where I specialise in the area of scientific computing using supercomputers. I have taught and tutored extensively throughout my career.
I have a very deep understanding of physics and maths myself, but I know that that is not enough. The key skill of any tutor is the ability to explain information to the student such that they are able to grasp it. I am proud of my ability to tune in to the student, no matter how tricky they find the subject, and tailor my explanations and guidance accordingly. My experience ranges from helping my young daughter with primary school work all the way to helping mature students with complex problems.
I tailor my tutoring to each individual student, based on a combination of their preferences and my own observations. I thoroughly enjoy tutoring, and am proud that I was recently nominated for a teaching award by students.
For links to my full professional bio and, as an aside, to see me explain how to simulate ice cream (of all things!) using a supercomputer on American TV, please see my web site (link above) and click on "Meet the tutor".
- How much do you charge?
- The fee per one-hour lesson is £50. This includes the full cycle including question setting, marking and preparation, not just the lesson itself. This procedure is designed to ensure that the one-to-one contact time is as high quality as possible. For more information, please see my web site (link above) and click on "Online Tuition".
If you decide, after the first lesson, that you don't want to continue, I will fully refund the cost of this lesson.
I will be more than happy to have a chat and demonstrate the online technology, free of charge, before any lessons commence.
- Where do you teach?
- I mainly teach online. With today's technology, there is no need to travel!
- When are you available?
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- GCSE, A-level, Standard Grade, National 5, Higher, Advanced Higher
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have an up-to-date disclosure certificate.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- * High quality virtual classroom software (much more effective than Skype).
* Personal tutee website where resources and meetings are organised.
* Full recording capability, with video posted to tutee website after meeting (optional).
Please see my web site (link above) and click on "Online Tuition" for full information.
Your ultimate aim is to do as well as possible in the exam. To achieve this, you need to Know and understand the material Apply your understanding to solve problems Your hard work throughout the year will go some way in mastering these challenges. However, there is another issue. Your brain does not work well in new situations....