Find UK Tuition
Philip Lowe - English/ Elocution Teacher in Great Baddow, Chelmsford
- BA French & German - Oxford University
- Diploma in Applied Linguistics; Trinity Cert TESOL
- Disclosure Scotland criminal check
- Cambridge English Teacher member
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Hello. I love languages and I love teaching. I can help you to speak, read, write and understand English better!
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Business English, General English. I specialise in Accent Improvement and Elocution.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- BA Modern Languages (Oxford University); BA Theology (Brunel University); Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics (SIL); Trinity Cert TESOL
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have experience of different sectors, such as the motor industry, B2B marketing, the hospitality industry and retail. I have been a freelance English teacher for about 3 years, although before that I had already been involved in teaching English.
- How much do you charge?
- An initial consultation (in person or by Skype) is free and without obligation. We discuss your requirements and you can ask me any questions. If you want to take lessons, I will give you a firm price then. My prices start at £25 for online lessons, £30 for face to face English coaching, and £35 for accent improvement/elocution. These prices are for block bookings of 10 or more lessons. Lessons are usually 60 minutes.
I mainly teach one to one, but it's possible to add an extra student of the same level for £10 (£15 for accent improvement).
If I have to travel outside Chelmsford, I charge £0.40 per mile or the cost of public transport, if going into London.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach at students' homes/offices or at any convenient place. I don't charge for travel in and around Chelmsford but I can travel anywhere in mid-Essex (Basildon, Braintree, Billericay, Maldon, Southend) and can travel into Central London by arrangement. I charge mileage outside my immediate area.
- When are you available?
- I set aside Thursday afternoon and all day Friday for private clients. I sometimes teach at other times, depending on other commitments - just ask and I'll try to help!
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach adults from complete beginner up to advanced level (A0 to C1)
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I will help students prepare for any EFL/ESOL qualification, e.g. TOEIC, IELTS, Cambridge Proficiency, Cambridge Advanced etc
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have a Disclosure Scotland criminal record check.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- At the moment I use Skype, but I am looking into virtual classrooms.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of Cambridge English Teacher, which provides ongoing training and resources.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I did the Trinity Cert TESOL in Greenwich at the busy ISIS school (now Oxford International Education Group). Immediately after the course, they offered me a contract to work there for a few weeks. I later worked with them again on a special programme in Oxford.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- The majority of my clients come through Learnship, an award-winning international language-training firm. Their companies sponsor their English training and we meet in a virtual classroom during working hours. They are mainly French or German professionals, up to senior management level, and most need Business English for their work with international clients, suppliers etc. Some are working towards English qualifications.
I reserve some time during the week for other clients. To give a couple of examples I am currently helping a Brazilian PhD student with accent improvement and General English and am preparing three Spanish nurses for the Cambridge Advanced exam.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Don't be afraid of making mistakes! Try out new words and phrases. Make a note of times when there were communication problems and ask your English teacher about them.
Send a message to Philip Lowe
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
Accent Improvement - areas to work on First of all, I prefer to refer to “accent improvement”, rather than “accent reduction, neutralising or softening” – it seems more positive. It is impossible not to have an accent; we just often think that people have an accent if they don’t speak in the same way as us! You can’t have no accent! The...
At all times I found Philip to be committed, dedicated and aware of my personal needs regarding the exam standards (reading, writing and speaking).
I feel more confident speaking English at work and colleagues and patients understand me more easily. I happily recommend him as a teacher for any English learner, whatever their level is.
- Teresa NG (registered general nurse)
During my time in the UK, I had the pleasure of working with Philip to
improve my Business English.
All the time he wanted these classes to suit my needs, so we focused on my
In the end I made huge progress, not only in my weak areas but also in my
vocabulary and my pronunciation.
I am much more confident in talking with English customers, which helps me
a lot in my job.
- Marie G
Philip taught English to Japanese undergraduates on the prestigious and highly successful Hosei-Oxford University Programme. He was a very pro-active teacher who was well liked by staff and students alike! He has an excellent knowledge of phonetics and students liked his classes very much!
- Clie VH Director of Studies
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages
Browse other tutors below who provide English Tuition, and related subjects: