Find UK Tuition
Ian Flint - Piano Teacher in Highgate, Muswell Hill, Hampstead, Crouch End, Barnet, North London
- Fully enhanced, current DBS certificate
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Conservatoire-trained pianist with extensive concert platform experience offers you expert piano lessons, whether for any exams (Associated Board, Trinity, school curriculum) or purely for pleasure. Rigorous yet friendly and encouraging approach.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Piano (mainly classical, some jazz), the exact mix based on each student's goals and aspirations. I also teach Music Theory and Music Appreciation.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- GmusRNCM(hons) - mainly piano performance, with music theory, history etc.
MMus - piano performance and academic thesis.
Both degrees at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Over 25 years' experience as a pianist, piano teacher and coach, and career in the music publishing industry.
- How much do you charge?
- £40 per hour. £25 for 30 mins, £33 for 45 mins.
Small extra charge if lessons in student's home, the exact amount being agreed with each individual student.
- Where do you teach?
- Venue is either my house in Friern Barnet, North London (on a Steinway piano) or the student's house. Readily accessible areas include Highgate, Muswell Hill, Hampstead, Crouch End, Barnet, Southgate, Finchley, Enfield
- When are you available?
- Main availability Monday - Thursday (daytime and evening) and Saturday mornings. Some students continue throughout school holidays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Slight emphasis on more advanced students (upper grades to concert standard) but happy to take those at earlier levels including absolute beginners. All ages (but not usually advisable to start piano below the age of 5). Adults very welcome.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Associated Board and Trinity piano and theory exams. National Curriculum piano practical exams. Auditions for any educational, artistic or vocational institute. Concerts.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes, I hold a fully enhanced current DBS certificate.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Royal Northern College of Music, studying piano with Sulamita Aronovsky (founder of the London International Piano Competition).
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- It is my pleasure to teach a diverse range of students, either preparing for exams and/or a career in music, or playing purely for pleasure.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Music is a reflection of our lives, so my aim will always be to help you communicate the emotional essence of every piece you play. It's crucial for me to tell you not just 'what' and 'why', but show you 'how', so you can maximise the effectiveness of your practice.
Send a message to Ian Flint
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
“It was technically very good, but it wasn’t very musical.” How often we hear versions of this kind of phrase, when people are discussing a concert or broadcast, or maybe talking about the child prodigy next door. But is there really a separation between technique and that vague label ‘musicality’? All too often ‘technique’ seems to be seen as...
File Size: 94.67KB
Browse other tutors below who provide Piano Lessons, and related subjects: