Find UK Tuition
Emily Askew - Piano, Recorder, Fiddle Teacher in SW London
- BMus 1st Class Hons GSMD
- Early years music trained with Boppin Bunnies and Lambeth Music Service
- Up to date DBS
- Musicians Union
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am a friendly, enthusiastic and engaging music teacher and professional musician. I have 10 years of teaching experience of all ages and abilities.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Piano, Recorder, Violin, Folk Fiddle, Cello, Bagpipes, Tin Whistle,
Musicianship, Music Theory and Aural
GCSE/A Level Music
Early years music - an introduction to music for under 5s involving singing, musical games and option for recorder, piano or ukulele
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- BMus (1st Class Hons) from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama
Concert Recital Diploma
Grade 8 Distinction in Recorder and Piano
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have 10 years teaching experience in schools and music centres, as well as in private tuition. I teach instrumental, curriculum and general musicianship lessons from age 4 to adult and cover all abilities. Many of my students have entered exams, with most gaining merits and distinctions. I am also a specialist early years music teacher and I have been trained by the organisation Boppin Bunnies. Over the years I have worked for a number of music services and schools, as well as for the Centre for Young Musicians and the English Folk Song and Dance Society. I currently work for Trinity College of Music and Hereward House School. I also teach on a number of courses including Dartington International Summer School, The Folkworks Summer School and Aldeburgh Young Musicians.
- How much do you charge?
- £35 per hour and £20 per half hour if individual lessons at my home. If you would prefer me to travel to you I charge an extra £5 on price..
- Where do you teach?
- I teach at my home in London near Waterloo/Kennington.
I also travel to students' houses if they live near train/tube stations in the London area particularly Wandsworth, Clapham Junction and Putney. I add an additional £5 to my fees to cover travel cost and time.
- When are you available?
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- 2-5 years for foundational skills in Early Years Music, and 4 upwards for instrumental lessons - my oldest student at the moment is 74! All abilities
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- ABRSM/Trinity Guildhall Grade Exams
GCSE/A Level Music
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I can give online lessons via skype.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a professional member of the Musicians Union
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Guildhall School of Music and Drama
Send a message to Emily Askew
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
When starting piano lessons it is essential that you have an instrument at home to practise on. The purchase of a new instrument can be a daunting task. In this article I hope to offer some advice to make this process easier. Size How much space do you have to house the new instrument and how easy can you access your building/room? Do you...
File Size: 110.19KB
Teaching a 4 year old can be difficult, but Emily is very engaging and manages to ensure that our daughter stays focused for the full 30 minute lesson.
The teaching resources she uses are geared to youngsters and Emily makes sure that our daughter revisits what she learned the previous week and then moves on to a new task.
Overall we are very happy and our daughter has already taken a real shine to Emily. Highly recommended
- CP in Balham
Emily teaches the recorder to my 10 year old son and my 8 year old daughter. She took them on as beginners and having guided through Grades 1 and 2 in less than 2 years, is now preparing them for Grade 3. She is an excellent teacher: kind but firm and very enthusiastic which my children have found infectious. She is always punctual, polite and very flexible in arranging lessons and accompanists for exams. I cannot recommend her highly enough - I found her on the Tutor Pages and she is truly a great find!
- Annabelle More O'Ferrall
"At the age of 74yrs I decided to try and learn to read music and play the piano;
a long held ambition! I have been very fortunate to find Emily (Askew) to teach me. She is a very gifted musician, with a lovely sparkly personality, which makes every lesson a real pleasure.Her patience, enthusiasm and never ending encouragement means that I look forward to every lesson. It`s great fun!"
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages