Find UK Tuition

Rupert - Music tutor in York

Rupert Avis University Music Tutor (York)

Rupert Avis Gold Member

  • Central York (YO10)
  • Last Logged In: 20 Mar 2018
  • Sex: Male
  • Can Travel To: Wolverhampton
Contact Me
  • Professional Qualification B.Mus (first class)
  • Professional Qualification M.Phil
  • Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS, formerly CRB) Check DBS
  • Professional Membership University of York


(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)

Personal Message
I attended Chetham's School of Music and hold degrees from the universities of Manchester and Cambridge. I am currently completing a PhD in ethnomusicology at the University of York.
Which subject(s) do you teach?
Tell me about your qualifications.
I hold an undergraduate degree in music (1st class) and an MPhil in performance studies. I am a Licentiate of the Royal Schools of Music in Cello Performance, a dipLCM in Piano Performance, and ABRSM Grade 8 in Viola Performance.
What kind of experience do you have?
I have taught extensively in the UK and India and have experience teaching from all major exam syllabuses (LCM, ABRSM, Trinity, Rock School). I teach violin, viola, cello, piano, keyboard, and guitar (classical and popular), and bass guitar. I can also teach academic music, including research methods, essay writing skills, and topics to GCSE, A level, and undergraduate music students. As a performer I have been involved with a wide range of genres, ranging from renaissance music to contemporary art music as well as popular styles.
How much do you charge?
See subject list for details.
Where do you teach?
I teach in York, either at the University or from home.
When are you available?
I am flexible - get in touch to find out availability.
Which ages and levels do you teach?
I have taught students from ranging from 5 to 80 years of age. I have taught all standards, from absolute beginners to music college level.
Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
Music exams (instrumental and theory)
GCSE and A level Music
University Music exams
Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
Do you belong to any professional organisations?
University of York and the British Association for Performing Art Medicine.