Find UK Tuition
Susanna Klayman - Contemporary Vocal Coach and Music Teacher in Edinburgh
Susanna Klayman Gold Member
- Southside (EH9) View on map
- Last Logged In: 28 Jan 2017
- Sex: Female
This tutor is temporarily unavailable
- BA (Honours) Popular Music - 1st class degree
- PGCE Secondary Education
- Enhanced CRB checked
- Incorporated Society of Musicians UK (ISM)
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Want to learn to sing and understand music better? Unlike some teachers, I will never ask you to do anything that I can't do, and as everyone is an individual, I will cater to your specific wants and needs.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach and/or coach contemporary singing, including pop, soul, jazz, RnB, funk, rock and gospel, from beginners to advanced level. My lessons also include stage performance techniques, vocal physiology and confidence building skills. I am also a highly experienced songwriter, and frequently tutor and/or assist in developing songwriting skills.
I also provide tuition in essay writing and proof reading services, from Secondary to Post Graduate level. In regards to qualification-specifics, I am most experienced in teaching Further Education, including BTEC Music, HND Music and BA (Honours) Performance Industries.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- After high school, I completed an HND in Modern Musicianship with 5 merits from Jewel and Esk Valley College, Edinburgh (2005), before moving into 3rd year of the BA (Honours) Popular Music degree at Napier University, Edinburgh, where I obtained a first class degree (2007), as well as acquiring level 1 Estill vocal training certification. I then undertook the Master Performance course at Tech Music School, West London (2009). In 2013, I graduated from Middlesex University with a 'good to outstanding' grading for my PGCE in Secondary Education Music (2013).
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I began performing at the Edinburgh Acting School age 5, learning singing, dancing, acting and voice techniques. I attended EAS for 11 years, which gave me vast experience in performing from an early age. During high school, I was in a rock band performing in local venues around Edinburgh and recording demos, alongside performing in choirs such as The Waverley Singers and St. Mary's Choir. During my higher education I continued to perform in bands, write and record my own material and work with as many diverse musicians as I could, including DJs, classical musicians and local bands. I began to vocally coach fellow students during my time at university, and continued to do this when I relocating to London to undertake my course at Tech Music Schools.
After graduating in 2009, I taught at stage schools, including Pop and Stage School Academy (PSSA) and Centre Stage Theatre School, and latterly, was appointed as Singing Teacher of Stagecoach Amersham for 2 years. I have also taken on private pupils throughout this time, and continued to do so whilst studying for my PGCE.
After my years in London, I have now returned to my hometown of Edinburgh, and am the Vocal Tutor, as well as the BA Honours Course Coordinator and Tutor, at the Academy of Music and Sound, Edinburgh, alongside my private tuition.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £28 an hour, or £15 for half an hour.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach either from my home in Marchmont, or the practice rooms at the Academy of Music and Sound in the Grassmarket .
- When are you available?
- I am currently available for private tuition most weekday evenings and weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I am most experienced in teaching teenagers (age 11-18) and adults, and am happy teaching complete beginners up to experienced professionals.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- ABRSM and Trinity examinations in Singing; GCSE Music; Scottish qualifications - Standard Grade/Intermediate 1 and 2/Higher/Advanced Higher Music; BTEC Music; HNC/D Music; Undergraduate Singing examinations.
My focus is predominantly in preparing students for the performance element of these examinations, though I can also teaching sight-reading/sight-singing skills, aural skills and relevant theoretical knowledge.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I offer lessons online - please enquire if this would be your preferred method of tuition so we can discuss it. I also correspond with my pupils through email regarding any problems they may be facing since our last lesson, and offer tips and advice on any questions they may have.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the Incorporated Society of Musicians UK (ISM).
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Napier University - Maureen McMullan; Tech Music School - Annabel Williams, Kim Chandler, Iain McKenzie, David Combes, Will Lester, Simon Colam, Femi Temowo; Middlesex University - Dominique Jones
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I teach a range of students, from absolute beginners to advanced level, and I love seeing how all my students develop. This applies not just in terms of technique and repertoire, but their growing self confidence and self belief. I really enjoy teaching all of my students, and I am really thrilled with all their achievements so far.
Over the years that I was training to sing, the one thing that held me back was the fear of making mistakes. I had this unreasonable attitude that if I sang one note wrong, or made a slightly less than nice sound, people around me would suddenly think I was a horrible singer, regardless of how well the rest of the song went. At one point, in...
File Size: 3.95MB
File Size: 6.12MB
File Size: 3.74MB
"Being a complete novice to singing when starting my lessons with Susanna, I had no idea what to expect and was also very nervous of what she might think.
Very quickly, she was able to put me at ease, and also identify both strengths and weaknesses
Susanna makes lessons both interesting and fun. Because of her enthusiasm and effective teaching methods, I have been able to progress quickly and really enjoy and look forward to my lessons."
- Mark Cann
"Susanna taught Megan, my 11yr old daughter, singing for a series of lessons. Megan really enjoyed the lessons and found Susanna's approach to be very easy and friendly. She finds out what areas the child is aiming for and works towards that as well as providing a good base structure of fundamental rules that help a person to sing correctly and to the best of their ability. We intend to have some more lessons at a later date."
- Ginette Watson
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages
Browse other tutors below who provide Singing Lessons, and related subjects: