A-level Expressive Arts Tuition
- Pete Goodland Central Sheffield, S4
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.
- Personal Message
- Well done you History and English guys! Then, what? With pencils sharpened and boots polished it's off to school once more. A new term of EFL, English, History, Politics, Drama and the odd spot of algebra await - I'm nothing if not versatile.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- A level History,English, Theatre Studies and Politics; ESOL,IELTS,Special Needs; GCSE History, English Literature and Language; KS3/KS2 English/Maths/science; IGCSE History and English.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- C AND G 7303 PTTLS; CertTEFL; Theatre Thesis title: 'A Calling To Account - Iraq, Rail and Racism. Verbatim Theatre, the here and now';MA international relations. Dissertation title: The Ties that Bind Us. US foreign policy in central America in the 1980s; BA (with honours) Historical Studies. Dissertation title: Literature and Empire. Myth making and Imperialism; 3 A levels - Economics, History and English - and 8 O'levels including Maths and English; Various certificates in good SEN practice; Lifting and Handling. Further professional development ongoing ( RSC/SEN and Group Work Skills workshops pending ).
- What kind of experience do you have?
- 2003 - present IGCSE History and English; GCSE History and English; ESOL,EFL and IELTS; A level History,Theatre Studies and Politics; KS2-3 English/Maths/Science and SEN Tutor; 2014 - present Politics Tutor Alderwasley Hall School; 2014 - present EFL Tutor White Eagle Association; 2013 - present EFL/Numeracy Lecturer/Invigilator Sheffield College; 2012 - present EFL Lecturer Doncaster College; 2012 - present English Tutor Birkdale School; 2013 Play Crucible Theatre; 2013 Play London; 2012 EFL Lecturer LTS; 2012 ESOL Summer workshop; 2012 Play Basement York; 2012 Play Newcastle Live THEATRE; 2012 Exam invigilator Royal College of Psychiatrists; 2011 ESOL TUTOR St Mary's Community Centre Sheffield; 2009 - present York THEATRE Royal staged readings; 2009 -2011 Crucible THEATRE Drama workshops; 2011 Dearne Valley College Creative Writing Tutor; 2009 - 2010 Yemeni Community Centre Sheffield ESOL TUTOR; 2008-present SAVTE ESOL TUTOR; 2006 - 2009 The University of Sheffield PhD researcher in DRAMA Thesis title: 'A Calling To Account - Iraq, Rail and Racism. Verbatim Theatre, the here and now'; Presenting a paper on the Workers’ Theatre Movement; Submitting work on the MA THEATRE and Society;Attending seminars and lectures by visiting speakers;Conducting interviews with theatre directors and associated professionals; Royal Shakespeare Company Drama workshops; University of Sheffield Drama workshops; 2003 - 2006 Rawmarsh Community School LITERACY and NUMERACY assistant. 1997-1999 Presented talks on Musical Theatre at the West Yorkshire Playhouse and other venues. 1997-1998 LITERACY and NUMERACYassistant for swfc's after school club. Published theatre reviews. Plays performed and short listed. Performed the odd stand up comedy routine too - Ahh!
- How much do you charge?
- £17 - £27 per hour. though, to be honest, I'm pretty flexible. Prices can be negotiated on a student by student basis depending on the number of hours, location or size of class. Tea, coffee and plates of chocolate biscuits can be negotiated too...... although I've recently discovered a fondness for blueberry muffins!
- Where do you teach?
- I'm based in Sheffield but do get around for I'm quite the adventurous type. I've worked in Rotherham even Cudworth ( said I was adventurous - or was that foolhardy? ) and presently travel up to Whatstandwell. Whatstandwhere? I hear you cry. Peacocks on country lanes and signets playing on river banks, you know, that sort of thing. But seriously.... have bus timetable can travel. South Yorkshire and beyond considered, golden beaches or a New York skyline preferred .
- When are you available?
- Again, I'm pretty flexible and will consider any offer on a case by case basis. Weekends are not out of the question either but beware I'm a Wednesdayite so home games are sacrosanct even at this season's vastly inflated prices. We need to pay for the new pitch ( green and grassy ) and our spanking scoreboard ( lights with highlights - hi tech or what ) so our Chairman says.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- ESOL Entry Level 1/2/3 and over; A level History/Theatre Studies/Politics/English; SEN literacy/numeracy; KS2/KS3 English/Maths/science; Adult learning; IELTS; GCSE History and English; IGCSE History and English.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- A level/GCSE/IGCSE History, Politics, English literature and language and Theatre Studies - AQA/Edexcel/WJEC. Trinity/IELTS/ESOL/EFL/SATS.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- DBS. Enhanced. Issued December 2014.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Well, the only connection I have with anything professional would be Sheffield Wednesday. Opps, you said professional didn't you?
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Both Sheffield Universities and more recently Sheffield College with occasional sorties to Spain to make the odd theatre prop or two - my paper mache cows were something to behold! I once could say all that in Spanish. And who could ever forget the Clowning and Circus workshops? Yes, I was the child who ran away with the circus.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Teenage Russians, young Hungarians, lower 6th Chinese, adolescent English, adult Poles and every Wednesday a solitary Italian. The subjects are pretty varied; IGCSE History/English; Conversational English; GCSE History; A level History; A level Politics; A level English; GCSE English; Y2/Y3/Y4/Y7/ English and Maths; adult learners in Maths/Functional Skills; and a couple of youngsters on the Autistic spectrum. Young, old, grown up or growing up they're all a delight to work with.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Hi, my name's Pete and if you like what you've read so far, give me a call. If you still like me after that we'll arrange a meeting - I'm perfectly house trained - mash a brew and start a lesson or two - it rhymes!. All the best, Pete.
Send a message to Pete Goodland
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more