Classical Piano Lessons in Edinburgh
Tutors in Edinburgh
Interested in online lessons for Classical Piano?Online Classical Piano Lessons
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Classical Piano
- Personal Message
- I am a highly qualified instrumental teacher and performer, specialising in the flute and also with many years experience as a piano teacher.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach flute to diploma level, piano to ABRSM Grade 5 level and also offer music theory to ABRSM Grade 8 level. I have 100% success rates of tutoring ABSRM exams and am also happy to coach pupils in the practical component of their school music exams.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I qualified with a BMus (Hons) from Sheffield University, having passed my ABRSM Grade 8 exams on flute and piano and also my Grade 8 theory (with distinction) as a teenager. I also have an MA in Music (Open University - with distinction) and achieved my Fellow of the Royal Schools of Music diploma (flute-performing) in 2004.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have been teaching flute privately and in schools (as a peripatetic woodwind teacher) for over 18 years. During that time, I have also been teaching piano and music theory privately. I am a freelance performer and play regularly (flute) in various orchestras and ensembles as well as giving occasional solo flute/piano recitals.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £30p/h for flute lessons for beginners-Grade 5 level, £35 p/h for Grade 6-Diploma level; £15/£17.50 for half-hour lessons. I charge £28 p/h or £14 for half-hour lessons for piano and music theory. I offer an initial free 1/2 hour lesson in all 3 subjects.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from my flat in the Edinburgh area or very occasionally in students' home in EH9 area if they are within short walking distance.
- When are you available?
- I teach throughout the week, during the day and early evenings. I do not usually teach at weekends but can give occasional lessons during school holidays.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach flute from final year(s) of primary school (if the child is physically suited/has a flute with a curved headjoint etc.) to any age - I teach flute from beginner to ABRSM diploma level.
I teach piano from age 5 upwards to ABRSM Grade 5 level, music theory from final primary school years upwards to Grade 8 level, although I always incorporate theory in all my lessons to some degree.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare students for ABRSM exams (flute to diploma level, piano to ABRSM Grade 5 level, theory to ABRSM Grade 8 level). I am also happy to help students prepare for their SQA practical exams at Standard Grade and Higher level.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes (from 2012). I also have an NSPCC certificate in Child Protection Awareness (from 2011).
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a Fellow of the Royal Schools of Music and a member of the British Flute Society.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I trained for my BMus (Hons) at Sheffield University, with flute lessons from Paul Chapman (Opera North). Later I trained with Stina Bisengaliev (Opera North), Catherine O'Rourke (Highland Chamber Orchestra) and for over 10 years with David Nicholson (Scottish Chamber Orchestra, RSAMD tutor). More recently I have had lessons with Paul Edmund-Davies (London Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia etc.), Alison Mitchell (Scottish Chamber Orchestra) and Joanna Shaw (Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Scottish Ballet). I have also participated in master-classes with William Bennett, Lorna McGhee and Katherine Bryan.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Among my current students are a 5 year-old beginner pianist who is learning for fun, an adult flautist returning to the flute at around Grade 6 level and a 17 year-old flautist studying for her Dip ABRSM performance diploma.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I am a friendly and enthusiastic teacher and expect my pupils to work hard for me, even if they are not studying for a specific exam.
Send a message to Lynne Bulmer
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more