Classical Singing Lessons in Westminster (Bayswater, Marylebone, Belgravia and Maida Vale)
Tutors in Westminster
Nearby Study Centres
- Fireworks Music School Morden, SW19
Tutors travelling to Westminster
- Dan Keating-Roberts King's Cross, N1
- Victoria Mulley West Hampstead, NW3
- Michael Hill Bloomsbury, WC1B
- Dimitris Panagiotou Tooting, SW17
- Juan Rezzuto Earl's Court, W14
- Portia Winters New Cross, SE14
- Sara G. Saavedra Chingford, E4
- Edyta Lajdorf Gloucester Road, SW7
- Sean Webster Brixton Hill, SW2
- Piers Sherwood-Roberts Putney, SW18
- Music at The Hap'ning Place Crouch End, N8
- Myria Ioannou Clapham Junction, SW11
- Anna Binias Southfields, SW19
- Alexandre Garziglia Streatham, SW12
- Alex Wingfield Bloomsbury, W1T
- Lowri Lewis Jones Wandsworth Town, SW18
Interested in online lessons for Classical Singing?Online Classical Singing Lessons
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Classical Singing
- Personal Message
- I, Simon Chalford Gilkes, am an opera and theatre singer and singing teacher who is based in the Paddington / Marylebone Area. I great deal of teaching experience and have taught a great variety of students both in London and abroad.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I have a great deal of experience in performing and teaching Opera, Musical Theatre, Jazz, Choral and Barbershop. I can teach men, women, boys and girls of all ages how to produce beautiful tones through breathing and resonance. I also teach beginners piano to children and young adults and musicianship and musical theory.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I am a graduate of the Royal College of Music, where I received a Masters of Vocal Performance with Distinction in 2013 and I received both a Bachelor of Music in Voice (Performance), as well as an Advanced Diploma of Opera from the University of Sydney, Australia, which was delivered through the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have performed in several operas and musicals in Sydney, Australia including working with Opera Australia in the Sydney Opera House and for Sydney Chamber Opera. I have also performed with English Touring Opera throughout England and have covered for Scottish Opera. And it is through these experiences that I have helped to round out my teaching skills, as I have learnt from my own performances and from my colleagues. I have been able to successfully utilise these experiences through my teaching in order to help my students reach their vocal performance goals
- How much do you charge?
- I charge 40 pounds per hour in either half or full hour sessions which includes any travel costs that I incur. I also do not charge for photocopying or any other such service. I also teach group classes to young children which does fractionally increase the hourly rate, however it is negotiable depending on the size of group and their age.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from my home (Old Marylebone Road) and I also travel to my students homes in Bayswater, Notting Hill, Mayfair and even Wimbledon. I am situated in the heart of London within walking distance from Edgware Rd, Paddington, Marylebone, Marble Arch and Baker St Stations.
- When are you available?
- I am fairly flexible with my schedule as I am a freelance teacher and singer.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach from age 5 and above.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare students for the ABRSM exams, however am able to do other qualification exams should you require it.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Not an up to date DBS currently. Will do shortly however.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I have taught students via Skype. This requires both myself and them to have some keyboard facility (iPad is acceptable), a good internet connection and a desire to learn.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- At Sydney Conservatorium of Music with Maree Ryan and at the Royal College of Music with Dinah Harris. I also undertook Vocal Pedagogy at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music with Dr Rowena Cowley and the Art of Singing with Russell Smyth at the Royal College of Music.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I currently have several students who are looking to increase their vocal range and work towards solo and choral singing. They are passionate commited individuals who work hard and see results as they do so.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I am a very passionate musician, and I love to share my passion with my students to show them the beauty of singing.
Send a message to Simon Gilkes
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more