Online Conducting Teachers / Conducting Lessons
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Conducting
- Personal Message
- I am a patient, professional and thorough tutor coming from a wide ranging background of musical experience. I have worked professionally in the fields of opera, choral music, orchestral music, and jazz, and am highly qualified in academic music.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I am able to offer tuition over Skype, Viber, and email.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I give practical tuition on keyboard instruments (Piano, Harpsichord, Organ), Cello and Double Bass (Jazz & Classical). I am well equipped to offer private tuition for public examinations in these instruments, and also for GCSE, A-Level and Bachelor-level Music, particularly for exam preparation, coursework and essay writing.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Graduated 2014 BA Hons First Class in Music, Hertford College, Oxford University. Grade 8 ABRSM Distinction in Piano, Organ, Double Bass & Cello. Grade 8 ABRSM Merit in Music Theory. Currently studying for MMus in Opera Repetiteurship at Guildhall School of Music & Drama. I achieved a Level 3 in my Blue Tutors tutor assessment.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I am a highly experienced conductor and keyboard player, currently Choir Director & Organist at All Saints', Woodford Wells. I have previously been Musical Director of The Arcadian Singers (2013-14) and Oxford University Sinfonietta (2012-14), and was Studio Director at New Chamber opera (2013-14). I was Organ Scholar at Hertford College, Oxford (2011-14), Conducting Scholar with Schola Cantorum of Oxford (2013-14). I have worked as a repetiteur and vocal coach on many productions by New Chamber Opera, Opera Studio Oxford and Yorke Trust Coastal Opera. I have previous experience teaching piano and organ to both children and adults. As a Double Bassist I played with National Youth Orchestra, Oxford University Orchestra, and have freelanced with many groups around Oxford including Opera Lyrica.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge a basic rate of £30 per hour, £25 for 45 minutes, or £20 for 30 minutes. I am able to offer discounts for group bookings, and can offer a reduced fee for initial consultation lessons. I am willing to travel to teach, but if a long distance we may have to negotiate an extra charge.
- Where do you teach?
- I am able to teach Piano, Singing, Double Bass and Cello from my home, and Organ at All Saints', Woodford Wells. I am also happy to travel to you, or for non-instrumental tuition we can meet at a mutually-convenient coffee shop.
- When are you available?
- I am flexible, and able to teach on evenings and weekends throughout the year, according to your requirements.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages and all levels. I am able to offer interview preparation for university applicants.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM) and the Musicians' Union (MU).
- Where and with whom did you train?
- My principal teacher on Organ and Harpsichord was John Wellingham of the John Loosemore Centre, who gave me a particular specialism in early keyboard music and tracker action playing which I am pleased to be able to pass onto my students. I have studied conducting with a multitude of teachers including Colin Metters, Nicholas Cleobury, Peter Stark, Paul Spicer, Edward Higginbottom, Owen Rees, John Traill, and Toby Purser. At Oxford I studied privately with academics such as Suzanne Aspden, Jonathan Cross and Benjamin Skipp. In 2010-11 I studied Double Bass with LSO Principal Rinat Ibragimov and SSO Principal Nikita Naumov, both of whom took the instrument to the next level, and I enjoy passing their wisdom and technical advice onto my students. As a Piano Repetiteur/Vocal coach I am currently studying at Guildhall, have played for sessions with coaches such as Darren Hargen (Zurich Opera House), Ceri Williams and Alexander Crowe, from whom I learned a lot.
Send a message to Ed Whitehead
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more