Essay Writing Tuition in Barnet (Edgware, Finchley, Hendon, Mill Hill and Golders Green)
Other areas: Show
Tutors in Barnet
Tutors travelling to Barnet
- Abigail Williams Tottenham Green, N17
- Nigel Singh Frognal, NW3
- Dr Seraphin Bloomsbury, WC1H
- Leigh Stevenson Camden Town, NW1
- Georgette Oram Stanmore, HA7
- Alexander Winter Highbury, N1
- Liliane Bounds Green, N11
- Kate McCarthy Crouch End, N8
- EnglishTutor1052 Kentish Town, NW5
- Jo Robinson Bloomsbury, WC1N
- Linda Black Tufnell Park, N7
- Xanthi Barker Chalk Farm, NW1
- Max Churcher Alexandra Palace, N11
- Milly Reilly Bloomsbury, NW1
- Dr Roberta Donato Borehamwood, WD6
Interested in online tuition for Essay Writing?Online Essay Writing Tuition
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Essay Writing
- Personal Message
- I specialise in A-Level and GCSE English. If students have disappointing grades or want more challenging approaches for university entrance, I help them develop their skills.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- A-Level and GCSE English Literature. A-Level and GCSE English Language.
Studying texts involves decent analytical and writing skills as well as independent thought. I teach these techniques: we set goals and reach them.
*2015 GCSE results*. By chance, all of my 2014/15 GCSE students are taking Science A-Levels from September. They came to me because GCSE English was a mystery, so the results below are good.
As one St Marylebone School parent writes, "Our daughter has always struggled with English Language and was at risk of failing the GCSE. We thought we may have left it too late, but a few months of lessons with Louise gave her the inspiration and motivation she needed to succeed. She enjoyed her lessons, made rapid improvements and managed to increase that crucial extra grade. Thanks Louise!"
OCR GCSE Lit – B, OCR GCSE Lang – B (predicted D)
OCR GCSE Lit – C, OCR GCSE Lang – C (predicted E/F)
AQA GCSE - B, AAQ GCSE Lit - B (predicted C/D)
CIE IGCSE Lit – A, Edexcel IGCSE Lang – A
CIE IGCSE Lit – A, Edexcel IGCSE Lang - C (predicted D)
Edexcel GCSE Lit – A, Edexcel GCSE Lang – B
Testimonials from parents and students 2013/14:
"You encouraged her to think independently and not be afraid to express her opinions, to be confident about what she says and to develop skills to think out of the box and be focused in order to make her points succinctly... She has now made a firm decision to take English for the A Levels because you have made the subject relevant as well as exciting for her. Thank you so much for having been an inspiring teacher." Parent of IGCSE student.
"Hi Louise, Just letting you know I got an A* in English Language and a B in English Literature. Really happy that my grades improved from mocks especially in the Language. Thank you so much for your help." Highgate School student.
"Hi Louise, Hannah got an A* in her English!! She is delighted ! Thank you so much for your tutoring and making the time available like you did - it really transformed Hannah. She was really panicky about English and was suffering from too much minute detailed instruction and far too little understanding of the meaning of the works, which had got lost in the sea of dull print outs. With you, she started to actually enjoy the books again and saw the questions as a challenge she was equal to." Fortismere School parent.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- PGCE, Institute of Education, University of London; MA American Studies, University of Sussex; BA (Hons) II.i English Literature and European Thought & Literature, Anglia Ruskin University.
I teach all aspects of English Literature and English Language, and specialise in:
reading and writing comprehension for English Language GCSE/IGCSE, poetry, narrative voice, Shakespeare, complex texts like Paradise Lost and Heart of Darkness, 17th Century literature and ideas, post-colonial literature, literary theory for A-Level students.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I trained at the Institute of Education and at City & Islington Sixth Form College in London.
By the end of the first lesson, I will have a clear understanding of the student's learning needs so that we can agree on how best to continue. With my support, students motivate themselves to be creative and disciplined. Students of all abilities usually discover that they actually enjoy analysing texts and working with language. They are then equipped to meet the exam board assessment objectives and get good grades. I used to write copy in the communications/public relations industry and can help students to develop a clear writing style.
- How much do you charge?
- A-Level and IB - £50 per hour
GCSE and IGCSE - £40 per hour
- Where do you teach?
- North London and surrounding areas depending upon travel time. I teach at my home in Finchley Central or travel to the student's house depending upon timetable and distance.
I teach students from: Fortismere School, The Latymer School, City & Islington 6th Form College, Highgate School, North Bridge House School, South Hampstead High School, La Sainte Union, Queen Elizabeth's School (Barnet), John Lyon School, London Oratory 6th Form, Lycée Charles de Gaulle, JFS, Camden School for Girls, St Marylebone School.
- When are you available?
- I am available from Monday to Friday and at weekends.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I specialise in teaching young people aged 13 -19. I also work with university students and adults.
I support students who are struggling to understand texts or write to standard. I also work with students who are aiming for an A* grade and require challenging tasks. I work with undergraduates who need to improve essay writing techniques and who want to discuss their texts in detail on a one-to-one basis.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- GCSE, IGCSE, A-Level, International Baccalaureate.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- CRB certificate from the Institute of Education 2010/11
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- To be discussed with potential tutee. Usually Skype.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Institute of Education, University of London.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I have a number of GCSE English students who intend to take Sciences and Mathematics at A-Level and who said at the first lesson that they disliked studying English, particularly poetry. After a while, they discover that they quite like reading poetry and analysing texts, and are good at it. They also discover that being able to express themselves clearly in writing is not the futile activity that they originally thought.
I teach highly motivated GCSE students who have chosen English as an A-Level option, and A-Level students who plan to study English at university. We enjoy a good deal of discussion about books and ideas as well as undertaking rigorous academic tasks. My A-Level students are becoming more interesting in how they think and write about texts.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My aim is to support you to do well in exams in order to reach your goals for the present and the future. During your time with me, you should gain an understanding of the pleasure that good reading and writing can offer. Knowing how to express yourself is a skill that brings rewards beyond the limits of the exam system.
Send a message to Louise Laing
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more