Musical Theatre Auditions Coaches in Islington (Angel, Highbury, Holloway, Finsbury Park, Canonbury)
Tutors travelling to Islington
Interested in online auditions coaches for Musical Theatre?Online Musical Theatre Auditions Coaches
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Musical Theatre
- Personal Message
- Hello, my name is Louisa and I am a professional classical singer (soprano) and music teacher. Nothing gives me more joy than spreading the love of music with anybody who wishes to learn :)
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
I teach singing in the classical style along with some musical theatre and jazz.As an opera singer my speciality is in the classical vocal repertory and technique.
I believe in singing in a way which is natural and healthy for both voice and body. A healthy technique as the solid foundation of singing is the key element of my teaching. We will focus on breathing, support, core strength, resonance, projection and overall maintaining a healthy state of wellbeing in order to maximise vocal development. Singing should be fun, feel great and never, ever hurt! My primary concern is for the vocal health of my students.
The first part of lessons is always geared towards warming up the body, mind and voice for singing with various exercises, some of which will be universal, such as humming exercises and breath control warm-ups and others tailored to each student's particular vocal needs.
Next we work on repertoire, mostly repertoire of the student's choice, but I also aim to broaden their repertoire with music of varying styles and genres. Through songs we will tackle other aspects of singing, such as vocal colour, style, expression, language and diction. Each piece of music brings with it it's own technical challenges so it's important to try as many things as possible!
As a previous first-study pianist I can also teach beginners piano (up to grade 5). All my previous piano students have achieved distinctions and merits and their piano exams. I especially have a lot of experience of teaching little ones how to play and read music and I like to use various games and activities to make music learning fun for them, after all, no child wants to remember their piano lessons as being boring!
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a BMus (Hons) from Trinity College of Music, a CertGSMD performance certificate and a BA (Hons) in Classics (my other love!) from King's College, London.
Music and Classics go very well together!
Alongside these academic qualifications I have a good history of theatrical and operatic performance experience behind me in both the UK and abroad.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have over ten years of teaching experience in both the UK and in Belgium, teaching both adults and children privately. I also have experience in teaching group singing classes.
In Brussels I had a lot of Italian students and consequently I can teach in the Italian language if required.
As well as teaching privately at home I am also currently a teacher with Music in Offices.
- How much do you charge?
- FREE CONSULTATION LESSON FOR ALL NEW STUDENTS
I charge £35 per hour for either singing or piano. Combined subject lessons, e.g. singing & piano, singing & music theory, are £40 per hour.
Please contact me using the 'CONTACT ME' button above for further details. I look forward to hearing from you!
- Where do you teach?
- I can generally teach at home up until 7pm.
Unfortunately I am no longer able to travel to students' homes due to a heavy schedule at present. This may change in the coming months.
- When are you available?
- I have most availability on Monday, Tuesday and Friday.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach singing for all ages. With children this depends very much on maturity but I would say that 12 years old on average is a good lower age limit. With adults the sky's the limit, it's never too late to start!
I can also teach beginners piano and music theory to both children and adults.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I can prepare students for the classic music exams eg ABRSM , recitals and auditions.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I do not have a CRB certificate as I have not worked in a school
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am an Equity member.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I trained with Jennifer Lilleystone before attending Trinity College of Music, London, where I trained with Wendy Eathorne. I then went to Italy and took lessons from mezzo-soprano Bianca Maria Casoni.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I have a great mix of students, all wonderful people with something unique to give.
A good number of my students are choral singers looking to improve on and strengthen their technique to help them survive the rigors of choir rehearsals. Others are looking to explore the possibilities of a solo singing career. Lots want to experiment with musical theatre which I would say is perhaps the most instantly feel-good genre to get started with. I'm also seeing more and more complete beginners fueled by a strong drive to discover what they can do with their voices.
My piano students are at the moment mostly adult re-learners keen to get back into a much-loved but neglected past-time.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My message to voice students would be to hold on to any dream of singing you may have and use that positive energy in your training. It can sometimes seem as though you are taking a step back with every hurdle that you come across, but in reality you are always moving forward.
Send a message to Louisa Petais
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more