Online Sibelius Tutors / Sibelius Tuition
- Dan Nicholson Tooting, SW17
- Firat Altay Harringay, N4
- Mark Harrison Farnworth, BL4
- Peter Elliot Bushey, WD23
- Jack Bennett Sevenoaks, TN14
- Antonis Mikelis Edmonton, N9
- Rachel Nicholas Hoylake, CH47
- Joshua Davenport Peckham, SE5
- Rachel Taverner BMus(Hons)LRSM Central Manchester, M4
- Andrew Nesbitt Stretford, M32
- Gregory Emfietzis East Sheen, SW14
- Jane Salmon Shoreditch, EC1V
- Tim Maryon Regent's Park, NW1
- Ralph Wyld Amersham, HP7
- Stamatia Statherou Boughton, CT2
- Nicholas Moroz Shepherd's Bush, W12
- Charlotte Botterill Park Street, AL2
- Tim Doyle Archway, N15
- John Dipper Wandsworth Common, SW18
- Pedro Silva St. Pancras, NW1
- Sam Miles Woodwind Teacher Willesden Green, NW2
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Sibelius
- Personal Message
- I’m a friendly, supportive and dedicated teacher with extensive performance experience.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I can offer lessons online via Skype or Google+. This comes with a free 30 minute consultation in order to check your connection/equipment is suitable.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach percussion (tuned and untuned), drums, jazz improvisation and theory, composition, and how to use Sibelius.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- BMus (Jazz) (expected July 2015)
LRAM as a jazz percussion teacher
LRSM in percussion (performance)
Grade 8 drum kit
Grade 6 piano
- What kind of experience do you have?
- As a teacher I have experience of jazz ensemble teaching, with abilities ranging from grade 2 to music college entry standard. This has focussed on ensemble playing and developing improvisation. I also regularly deputise for the Ealing Junior Music school, including drum kit and percussion teaching, as well as rehearsing beginner and intermediate percussion ensembles.
I have also produced a course entitled “Introduction to Tuned Percussion” for instrument manufacturer Percussion Plus, the first instalment of which was published in the digital magazine “Sticks in Motion”.
As a performer/composer I have played, and had my compositions played, at iconic venues on many occasions, such as the Royal Albert Hall, Royal Festival Hall, Queen Elizabeth Hall and the Barbican, as well as Ronnie Scott’s and the 606 Club. In addition I have toured China, playing in the Beijing International Festival; Brazil, including concerts in Sao Paolo and the International Winter Festival in Campos do Jordão; and extensively across Europe.
I was formerly principal percussionist of the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain, and in 2015 won the Dankworth Prize for Jazz Composition.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £30 per hour for lessons held at my home, and can offer a free 30 minute consultation lesson as it’s important that students feel comfortable before any commitment is made.
Younger students may find that shorter lessons are more suitable - this can be discussed at the consultation.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach both at home, and at students’ homes.
In cases where I have to travel long distances, or travel costs are high, there may be extra charges, which we will agree in advance.
I am based in the Amersham / Little Chalfont / Chesham area of the Chilterns, and I have a car, so may be able to travel to places like Rickmansworth, Watford and High Wycombe.
- When are you available?
- As a working freelance musician, my schedule can vary, and students may occasionally need to be flexible with times. On the plus side, this means I am also flexible with when I can teach, including week days during working hours and at weekends.
Having said all that, in general we can keep a fixed day/time. Ideally lessons are weekly, however we may be able to do longer lessons every other week if that suits a student’s schedule better.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages and abilities, up to grade 8.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Whilst I believe a well-rounded musical training is more important than passing exams, if and when students are ready I can prepare them for ABRSM percussion exams, and Trinity drum kit exams.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have a DBS disclosure certificate.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I belong to the Musicians’ Union.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I trained at the Royal Academy of Music (in fact, I will graduate in a month’s time) on the prestigious Jazz course, under Nick Smart, Jim Hart, Anthony Kerr and many others.
Send a message to Ralph Wyld
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more