- Teaching a Beginner With No Musical Knowledge
- How to achieve more from your trumpet practice
- Principles of Teaching Essay 2013
- Breathing Exercises for Brass Players
- Balanced Practice on the Trumpet
Learning a brass instrument is a physically demanding task. Unlike some other instrumentalists, brass players need to develop the muscles in order to play the instrument rather than relying on muscles we use everyday. This needs to be done slowly, gently and with regularity. The key thing to bear in mind with playing the trumpet is 'Practise Everyday!' You will improve far more quickly if you do 30 minutes everyday than 2 hours on a Saturday.
Practise long notes, long slurs and tonguing patterns in order to obtain the fundamentals of playing. Everything else comes on top of this.