Find UK Tuition
Derek Williams - Piano/ Composition Teacher in Edinburgh
- PhD, BMus, FTCL, LMusTCL
- DipTeach, DipTchg
- DBS Certified (all ages)
- EPTA, Musicians Union, BASCA, MAGA
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Alongside my career as an educator, I have been self-employed variously as composer, conductor, musical director and record producer for a range of international clients.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Piano, Theory, Composition, Arranging/Orchestration, Music Technology (Cubase) and Score Programming (Sibelius)
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- PhD in Music Composition from The University of Edinburgh
BMus (Distinction) from The University of Auckland, New Zealand. Winner Hollinrake Memorial Scholarship and Senior Scholarship for best student in graduate year.
FTCL in Pianoforte & Composition from Trinity College of Music, London
LMusTCL in Composition from Trinity College of Music, London
DipTeach in School Education from the New South Wales Department of Education & Training, Australia
DipTchg in School Education from the New Zealand Department of Education
Teachers' Diploma from Auckland Secondary Teachers' College, New Zealand.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Alongside my career as an educator, I have been self-employed variously as composer, conductor, musical director and record producer for a range of international clients, including The University of Edinburgh and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, EMI Music, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Caroline O'Connor, Sir Robert Helpmann, Sir Howard Morrison. My work has featured in performances at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Royal Albert Hall and Garrick Theatre (London), Sydney Opera House and Melbourne Hamer Hall (Australia), the Australian Embassy (New York), Sala Accademica di Santa Cecilia (Rome) and Edinburgh University.
I have been orchestrator, associate composer and musician for 21 feature films, television documentaries, mini series, and 15 album titles and have been a frequent conductor of studio orchestras, including Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for the feature film Frauds. Many of the media to which I have contributed have themselves achieved critical and popular acclaim, including BAFTA Award (The Making of Longbird), Best Film Score (Crush), an Oscar (The Adventures Of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert), Triple Platinum record sales (Come In Spinner - ABC) and an Australian Aria Award nomination (Cash Landing – EMI Music).
Stars in films I have orchestrated include Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Phil Collins, Josephine Byrnes, Lee Majors, Jack Scalia, Bob Peck, Guy Pearce, Terence Stamp. I worked with Torvill & Dean as arranger and pianist for their album Here We Stand. I have performed extensively as keyboardist, including over 400 performances of Andrew Lloyd Webber's show Cats (Really Useful Theatre Company) and Phantom of the Opera (Cameron Mackintosh Limited), and as musical director for independent productions.
My most recent commission was to arrange, conduct, mix and master the vocal and orcestral music for the Glenfiddich 21yo Whisky ad campaign, so far exceeding 1.7 million hits, viewable on my YouTube channel below. My current commissions are to compose a new 4 movement symphony for the Orchestra of the Canongait, and a new Trio for the Seiras Trio in Rome.
- How much do you charge?
- Details of discounts for advance block bookings at http://www.skypemusictuition.com/fees_info.php
For one-off lesson:
£25 per half hour
£40 per hour
- Where do you teach?
- Edinburgh, Scotland or online anywhere via Skype
- When are you available?
- Late mornings, afternoons and evenings.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Over 16 - adult.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- All ABRSM and Trinity College London
University courses in Music
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Current DBS certificatation - all ages
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Professors Nigel Osborne and Peter Nelson (PhD supervisors, The University of Edinburgh)
Professors Charles Nalden and Peter Godfrey (BMus, The University of Auckland, New Zealand)
Send a message to Derek Williams
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
With every passing year, and with unparalleled contemporary access to masterpieces penned by composers long dead, we have ever broader shoulders to stand on, such that neophytes of today may wonder what more they can contribute to new music without sounding derivative. The trajectory of musical expression from the structures formalised during...
File Size: 204.02KB
File Size: 173.28KB
File Size: Youtube