Find UK Tuition
Jan Hughes- French/German/Spanish Tutor. Surrey / Hants border
- BA (hons.)
- Enhanced CRB
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Hello! My name is Jan, and I am passionate about teaching Modern Languages. I have become involved in giving private tuition, because I really enjoy being able to tailor my teaching to the exact needs of each individual student.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach French to A Level, German to GCSE and Spanish to beginners (up to KS3). I have also taught English to KS3 and English as a Foreign Language. I spent two years in France teaching EFL.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have an honours degree in French, from the University of Southampton. I also have a Higher Certificate of Proficiency in German (half way between A Level and degree standard). This is also from the University of Southampton. I have a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) from the University of Reading.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I taught EFL in France for two years. I have been teaching Modern Languages (French / German / Spanish) in secondary schools in Britain since 1982. I also have some experience of Adult Education. I have worked in state schools and in the private sector. I have experience in comprehensive schools, mixed schools, single sex schools and in day and boarding education. I have taught both the privileged and the under-privileged. I am very resilient and adaptable. Whatever your needs, I can cope with them, so don't be shy! I have taught to O level, CSE, GCSE, A Level and the IB Diploma. I have an increasing number of adult learners, learning for business or social reasons. I also have three home schooled students. I get results! Many parents find it reassuring that I have "kept my hand in", as I still teach in mainstream schools as a supply teacher from time to time.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £25 per hour for any level up to and including GCSE, and £30 for A Level and beyond. These prices are based on students coming to me. Group rates available on request (max. 3). I will only accept groups of students of the same standard. Standard is more important than age for group work.
- Where do you teach?
- I prefer to teach at home. This is because I have lots of space, and a quiet household with few distractions. I offer a waiting facility for parents - please see photo on my website. I also have a large range of teaching resources at home, which I can make available to students instantly. My home is in Farnham, Surrey, within easy reach of the Surrey / Hampshire border towns of Guildford, Godalming, Alton, Aldershot, Fleet, Farnborough (Hants), Camberley, Woking, and Haslemere.
- When are you available?
- I am usually available every day, all day, (8 a.m.- 8 p.m.). I am almost always available in school holidays - a good time to pack in some intensive help! I try to be as flexible as possible.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I have taught children as young as 8, and adults into their 70's, and every age in between, although older secondary school children and sixth formers (14-18) make up most of my customer base, mostly because of the demands of Controlled Coursework at GCSE, (speaking and writing) and preparation for IGCSE, IB, AS and A2 exams.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Whatever they need! I most often prepare students for GCSE and A Level, but I have also prepared students for Common Entrance at 13. I am also now training students for the linear IGCSE exams. I have had specific training in the teaching of the IB Diploma Programme (French, Langue B, Standard and Higher Levels). However, some of my students, especially the adults, are just learning for the fun of it!
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes, I have an Enhanced Level CRB disclosure certificate, which is available for viewing on request.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I am happy to answer questions and correct work by email, but as yet, I do not "teach" online, as I feel that languages are best taught face to face. I do have a Skype account.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- My DFE Registration Number is 81/60493. I belong to one of the major teaching unions, although this is mainly for legal protection when I do supply teaching. I am not politically active in the union.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- The Universities of Southampton (Languages) and Reading (Education).
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I have a range of students, of both genders, preparing for GCSE and A Level. I have two adults learning just for fun / holidays, and one adult perparing for a multi-lingual job interview. I also teach three home schooled students. This is an increasing market amongst parents who are seeking an alternative to conventional schooling.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Tuition should be an enjoyable experience, which will boost your self confidence and your ability to cope in exams, if you are taking them. As long as you are motivated and committed to the process, I guarantee that you will make excellent progress with me, and enjoy yourself at the same time! Please look at the testimonials from my happy customers (and employers) on my website: www.french-and-german-tutor.com
Send a message to Jan Hughes
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
This November, as every November, we remember the heroism of all those who have given their lives in the service of their country – the ultimate sacrifice. I have a great personal interest in the heroism of the members of RAF Bomber Command. A staggering 50% of these men lost their lives during the course of WW2. That’s 55,000 cherished young...
File Size: 56.5KB
The help which Jan was able to offer my son (age 15) to get through his French GCSE exam was invaluable. He would not have felt confident enough to do the oral examination without her advice and guidance. He obtained an ‘A’ grade in his final exam which was a fantastic result, and he would definitely not have been able to do this if it were not for Jan's lessons. She made him believe he could do it (and he did). Thank you!
- Elaine F. (Mother of former tutee). November 2012
Jan has tutored my teenage daughter in French and I have been very impressed by her teaching ability. She quickly developed a good relationship with my daughter and was very effective in explaining French grammar in a clear and uncomplicated way. She made French lessons an enjoyable experience for my daughter, whose grades improved accordingly. I have no hesitation in recommending her as a tutor.
- Rosemary C. (Mother of current tutee). November 2012
Jan taught French to A Level and Spanish at KS3. She is a French specialist, but she has an admirable command of Spanish. She helped our GCSE German student to achieve his A*. She has a wide range of experience and a very flexible approach. She has extensive knowledge of examination boards’ requirements. She is always keen to share her well researched resources. Jan made a positive contribution to our faculty, and I am extremely grateful for her sound and prompt advice during her time here.
- Andrew S. (Former employer and HOD of Languages). January 2010
Jan was with us for six months, covering a maternity leave, teaching a range of classes at KS3 and 4, and acting as a form tutor to a year 10/11 group. She showed a full commitment to the role, contributing to tracking processes, report writing, parents’ evenings, tutor and department meetings. She was also a very active member of our choir, even accompanying the choir on a trip to France, during which her language skills were of great benefit.
- Win P. (Acting Headteacher). October 2012
Janet has worked wonders for my 15 year-old daughter. Two years ago she had never learned a word of French and with Janet's
help on top of her school lessons she is now among the strongest in her GCSE class and predicted to get at least an A this summer. Having Janet's one-on-one support has helped embed the basic language skills while giving her confidence and enthusiasm for progressing further. Now she wants to do French for A level!
- Harriet L. Mother of current tutee. December 2012
Testimonials are provided by the tutor and are not verified by The Tutor Pages
Here are some other tutors that you may also be interested in:
- Isabelle Croucher - French Tutor
- Isabella Nicholls - German Tutor
- Sue Huggins - A-level Religious Studies Tutor
- Helen McMahon BA Hons - GCSE French Tutor
- Florence Bobin - French Tutor
- MarcoDeBiasio - Key Stage 3 Italian Tutor
- Ana D - French Tutor
- Annie Marrec - A-level French Tutor
- Dorothy Gaudiere - French Tutor
- Carole Palfreman - French Tutor