Find UK Tuition
Gillian Menichino - Classical Theory/ Composition Teacher in Hulme, Manchester
- BMus in Music Composition and Music Technology
- MMus and PGDip, and PhD (currently) in Composition and Contemporary Music
- Royal Northern College of Music
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am currently a PhD/researcher in music composition at the Royal Northern College of Music
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach violin to beginners through to intermediate students, music theory, music composition, and English as a foreign language.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a bachelors degree with honors (BMus -hons) in Music Composition and Technology with emphasis in violin from the University of Montana in Montana, USA. I have a Postgraduate diploma and a Master's degree in Music Composition and Contemporary music from the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester, England. I have taken an array of courses ranging from music theory, music theory and analysis, music literature, music history, Aural perception/musicianship, violin lessons/masterclasses, composition classes and lessons, and music technology and recording classes, and private piano lessons as well as 1 semester of vocal training and 1 year of participation as an alto in chamber chorale.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have been a violinist in the Helena symphony orchestra for 5 years and the Missoula Symphony Orchestra for 2 years as well as a member of the University of Montana Symphony Orchestra for 4 years. I have also been commissioned to write compositions for various festivals such as the Steve Mackey Festival in 2008 and the James Macmillan Festival in 2009. I have also been commissioned to write for recital/concerts that took place December 2008 and for the Gold Medal Competition in June of 2009 at the Royal Northern College of Music.
I have also taught music Composition at the Chorlton High School and the Rivington and Blackrod High School in 2008 as part of the Sound Ideas Project associated with the Royal Northern College of Music Outreach program.
I have uploaded two C.Vs showing my qualifications. Both are for the music related subjects.
- How much do you charge?
- 25 pounds for Music composition lessons
20 pounds for Violin and Music Theory lessons
20 pounds for English lessons - grammar, reading, writing, and proof reading
Music theory is also integrated into the violin and composition lessons. Can teach in small groups for a discounted price.
Travel expenses will be additionally included and are negotiable depending on the cost of travel. Cost of lessons can be negotiable.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach at home and can teach throughout Manchester and Greater Manchester. I am located in Hulme just near the University of Manchester and University region in City Center. The nearest train stations are Oxford Road Train Station and the Piccadilly Train station.
- When are you available?
- I am available during the days - weekends and weekdays, and some evenings.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I can teach students of any age from beginning to intermediate levels.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Where and with whom did you train?
- The University of Montana with Patrick Williams, Dr. Charles Nichols, and Dr. Margaret Baldridge.
The Royal Northern College of Music with Dr. David Horne and Gary Carpenter.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I currently teach at the Royal Northern College of Music Junior School on some Saturdays as a coach of wind ensembles and as a private violin teacher.
I also currently teach music composition as part of the Royal Northern College of Music's various outreach projects. I have taught composition in the RNCM Summer School in July, worked as a teacher/higher education promoter as a Greater Manchester Aimhigher Associate, and have taught music composition as part of RNCM's outreach project, 'Sound Ideas."
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- Music opens doors to another world within the one we already exist and sheds a new light on the imagination! I believe that all students have their own unique potentials for music.
Send a message to Gillian Menichino
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
‘Explorations of the Use of Timbre and Texture as Expressive Narrative Devices in My Compositions’ My music demonstrates a type of sound world within and from which all other aspects of the composition will exist and derive. This sound world is comprised of three elements: timbre, texture, and harmony. Texture in my music is...
File Size: 79.08KB
File Size: 41.97KB
File Size: 30.38KB
Here are some other tutors that you may also be interested in:
- Emma Wilde - Clarinet Teacher
- Rebekah Reid - Violin Teacher
- Angela Conley - Piano Teacher
- Robert Guy - Viola Teacher
- Jonathan Booty - Flute Teacher
- Juan Ortuno - Classical Theory/ Composition Teacher
- Edward Horsey - Piano Teacher
- Dane Lam - Piano Teacher
- David Wishart - Piano Teacher
- Matt Krening - Euphonium Teacher