Find UK Tuition
Lawrence Ball - A-level Maths Tutor in North London
- BSc hons Computer Science with Mathematics
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am more expensive than most, if not all, less experienced tutors, because my value to young students is very high, students often rising to the top of their class or set quite swiftly.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I am more expensive than most, less experienced, tutors.
This is because my perceived value to young students is very high, students often rising to the top of their class or set quite swiftly.
If you would like 1 lesson, and only pay for it if you are satisfied to continue, then please request this.
Skype lessons are 80p per minute.
Class lessons available by negotiation, enterprising parents may want to club together and have me teach motivated students outside school hours.
I teach Mathematics - all levels to A level and also creativity coaching.
See my website for Maths references, in-depth testimonials including Baroness Hayman and other firm appreciations.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- B.Sc hons Computer Science with Mathematics from Queen Mary College, London 1972
4 A levels - Pure maths, Applied Maths, Maths with Computing, Physics Dulwich College 1969
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Over thirty five years private maths (see website for testimonials).
I have huge experience in motivating students as well as the teaching itself.
I have addressed a large range of different needs and ages and types of student.
I taught Tutor Pages tutor Camilo Tirado and also Michael Tusch (over 6 years) who later became president of Balliol College, Oxford.
I am a composer who has supported his musical work with maths tutoring.
I have helped dyslexic students who were told they could not possibly pass Maths GCSE obtain passes and an A.
I use maths in computer-generated music and graphic animation projects, so am constantly in mathematical mode!
Collaborator with Pete Townshend for 3 years on the Lifehouse-Method project.
- How much do you charge?
- Mathematics is £70 per hour payable in advance for 4 lessons.
The first two (only) lessons are free if you decide not to have more.
Skype lessons: 80p per minute, minimum £15 per session.
Groups by negotiation. £55 per hour for creativity coaching.
- Where do you teach?
- Usually student's home, although I can receive students at my home in Muswell Hill.
Currently I travel to St Johns Wood, Hampstead, Willesden, Gospel Oak, Marble Arch, Golders Green, Barnet, Cockfosters....... for instance.
Online/skype is also possible (see offer above) especially if we have already worked together in person.
Lessons outside Britain, speaking in English, are also welcome
- When are you available?
- My timetable is flexible, subject to fitting with other students.
4.30-9 pm in the week, 9-5 saturday, and many school holiday dates. Monday-Friday daytime by negotiation.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Age 7-18 usually but no age limit, (have taught parents and grandparents)
Basic arithmetic to A level including Further Maths.
Creativity coaching usually adults.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- A skype lesson is easier (but not essential) if I have first tutored the student in person.
Or a skype consultation on a problem (by negotiation, or free if short & I visit you already).
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I learned to teach through teaching and must now have taught getting on for 1000 students.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- J has just received a prize for being best in her class (year 3)
A is overcoming his inability to focus logically whilst making big strides in his final gcse year, in fact just received an A*, which for him is an achievement
D came top of his maths set in the mock gcse's with an A grade having been told by his teacher that that was impossible earlier in the academic year.
C has expanded her enjoyment and her ability enormously leading up to her gcse year.
A has proved to herself and her teacher that she is capable of the standard her school (and I!) expect she can attain.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- The key to swift effective learning is to learn to look after your state of mind whilst working, and it helps to have a tutor like myself remind you when necessary about that. Then pressure and confidence can go hand in hand.
The approach is everything, remain happy (not always so easy!) then understanding is fuller and more accessible.
In my extensive experience the first difficulty students encounter is mood.
In tutoring good mood to me is equal first priority to content, all difficulties are dissolved there.
Having said that every student is a whole world unto themselves and will need a tailored approach to achieve with good strides.
Some may need firmness if they are too diffuse, in order to keep on track, some tough firmness.
With the creativity counselling I can help with fresh angles on understanding artistic work, with exploration, problem-solving or dealing with blocks or stuck energy.
Send a message to Lawrence Ball
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
Towards A More Interactive Experience in teaching and learning. 1) Context - the perspective of a successful veteran private tutor. 2) What teaching must successfully be 3) Why teaching fails This is a radical, yet necessary, way to rejuvenate the teaching process. I am a tutor in mostly Maths of some 33+ years standing. I am...
Why artists often have a hard time. Worthwhile art originates from seeking surprise from beyond one's conscious mind, and this stirs the unconscious. A stirred unconscious needs managing if it is not to cause trouble or be anti-social. It is tempting for a serious artist to think that he or she should never stop creating. It is arguable...
Maximum Happiness With Maximum Concentration (Published in "Ability Development", a music teachers' magazine) by Lawrence Ball Learning To Blend Relaxation, Enjoyment And Lightheartedness With Stronger And Stronger Concentration. It is not necessary to suffer or to get tense in order to learn or to study. However more people than not do...
Here are some other tutors that you may also be interested in:
- Zeyna - A-level Maths Tutor
- A. Dickinson - A-level Biology Tutor
- Miriam Linehan - A-level Maths Tutor
- Dr David Chalmers - A-level Maths Tutor
- Phillip Kent - GCSE Maths Tutor
- Kamlo Chen-Duffy - A-level Maths Tutor
- Leena - A-level Maths Tutor
- Tonya - 11+ exam Tutor
- ZachZig - A-level Maths Tutor
- Dr Siddique - A-level Maths Tutor