Find UK Tuition
Megan Skinner - Piano/ Flute/ Sax Teacher in Hastings
- BA Hons in Musicology and Languages
- MS in Musicology from Oxford University
- CRB certified
- References are available upon request
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- I am enthusiastic, highly qualified and totally professional. Teaching is my passion, and enabling others to benefit from my skills is my aim in life.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach music - piano, flute, clarinet, sax, singing, theory (100% pass rate at gr 5!), composition, aural and general musicianship. I also teach languages - I am fluent in German and French and can also offer A-level Italian.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I did my first degree at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat. I studied music and languages (French and italian) in German. I followed this with a Master's degree from Oxford University, then a Post-Graduate diploma in Music Teaching in the Private Practice. Then came a performance diploma in piano from the London College of Music. Most recently, last year I completed a choral conductor's course with the Association of British Choral Directors.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have taught in schools in Canada, England, Italy and Germany, giving one on one, group and whole class tuition. I have also worked outside education, so my experience is neither blinkered nor stratified.
- How much do you charge?
- Your first lesson will be free on mention of the Tutor Pages. Normally lessons would take place in my home, though I am willing to travel to pupils. In this case there would be a surcharge to cover my time and expenses.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach generally at home, where I have a fully equipped studio. I am situated in St Leonards-on-Sea East Sussex.
- When are you available?
- At the moment I am available Wednesday Thursday and Friday, though special arrangements can be made for weekend lessons. I am also happy to teach, by arrangement, through school holidays. During the summer break, I often do block tuition to give pupils that extra bit of help, and keep them motivated in what is often down time for them.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages - my youngest pupil was 3.5 years old whwn she started, my eldest in his 70s. I also teach all levels, from beginner through diploma/university. I also mentor more advances pupils to become teachers.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare pupils for whichever qualification is appropriate for their age and subject.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- My latest DBS was issued 11 March 2016. I have also done a Child Safeguarding course.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I teach via Skype online.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- European Piano Teacher's Association.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Far too many to list! I am happy to answer this question to anyone who would like to know.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I have the usual broad range of pupils - children and adults, people doing lessons just for fun, people doing lessons with goals in mind. At the moment, I am teaching right through the age and ability spectrum, from age 5 and beginner through to diploma level. I also have several pupil with special needs, including dyslexia.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My aim is twofold - first and foremost for you to enjoy our work together, and secondly for you to make the best progress of which you are able.
Send a message to Megan I Skinner
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more
These years are perhaps the most important for any pupil. If a pupil is matched to the ‘wrong’ teacher, lessons can be a catastrophe, and the wrongs will take a very long time to right. Who is a wrong teacher? One who does not take an interest in the pupil as a person, one who is not willing to listen to a pupil – even if, sometimes, that might...