Find UK Tuition
Dr S V O'Leary - Physics & Maths Tutor in Wallingford, Oxon
Dr S V O'Leary
- Wallingford (OX10) View on map
- Last Logged In: 12 Mar 2016
- Sex: Male
This tutor is temporarily unavailable
(click on the subjects to see other tutors in this area)
- Personal Message
- Based in Wallingford, Oxfordshire, with a Doctorate in Physics from Oxford University, I offer excellent exam preparation in physics and mathematics for Common Entrance, GCSE, A Level, IB & Oxbridge Entrance.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Physics and Mathematics
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- 1980 - 1984:
Magdalen College Oxford - D. Phil in Physics.
1977 - 1980:
Magdalen College Oxford (College Scholar) - MA (Hons) in Physics.
CRB Enhanced Disclosure.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have considerable experience of individual teaching. I have provided personal tuition at Common Entrance, GCSE, AS, A level and IB in physics and mathematics, to students of a wide range of abilities. Comments from satisfied students testify to my ability to make clear those subject areas which they find most difficult.
I have taught physics and mathematics at all levels in Reading University Physics Department. This was a nationally recognized Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Learning in Physics, the only such centre in the UK and one of only a handful of Physics Departments to achieve a perfect score in the most recent Quality Assurance Agency assessment of national teaching standards in universities.
In recognition of my teaching ability I was presented with an award for 'Outstanding contributions to Teaching & Learning' in the University.
I was involved in establishing a pioneering pre-sessional course in our department, designed for A-level students who had not achieved the necessary grades in physics and mathematics for university entrance, to enable them to progress to our degree courses in physics. I taught on this course for over fifteen years, tutoring a wide range of students, some of whom continued on our degree courses to achieve first class honours.
I taught first year courses in 'Mathematics for Scientists', introducing students to key mathematical ideas such as differential and integral calculus.
At a more advanced level, I taught specialized courses for second, third and fourth year undergraduate students, and for graduate students at MSc and PhD level.
My research interests are in optical physics and laser physics, particularly the interaction of ultra-high energy, ultra-short laser pulses with matter. A list of my publications and international conference presentations is available on request. I helped to design, build, test and maintain the Reading University Ultrafast Laser Laboratory.
- How much do you charge?
- The first session of 45 minutes is free. After that my fees are:
50 pounds for a 1 hour individual tutorial.
35 pounds per student for a 1 hour tutorial with two students.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach from my home in Wallingford, Oxfordshire.
- When are you available?
- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday any time during school term, including evenings until 8pm
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Common Entrance, GCSE, A Level, IB & Oxbridge Entrance. Ages 12 - 18
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Common Entrance, GCSE, A Level, IB & Oxbridge Entrance
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Enhanced CRB Certificate
Congratulations on deciding to study (at least a bit of) Physics! Why? Because Physics, the most fundamental of sciences, can change the way you look at life. The greatest achievement of the human mind, 'The Scientific Method' teaches us to learn about the World through a combination of observation, theory and experimental test, and this...