Find UK Tuition
GCSE Physics Tutors / GCSE Physics Tuition in Portsmouth
Read more about GCSE Physics
Compare GCSE Physics Tutors in Portsmouth (Hampshire/ Sussex/ Isle of Wight) postcode areas by clicking their names on the left hand side. To widen your search, consider GCSE Physics Tuition from tutors who can travel to Portsmouth (Hampshire/ Sussex/ Isle of Wight) or from a tutor who teaches online.
If you are a tutor looking for GCSE Physics Tutor jobs in the Portsmouth (Hampshire/ Sussex/ Isle of Wight) area then sign-up here.
Tutors in PO postcode
|Dr Gordon Braddock||Emsworth, Hants, PO10|
Tutors travelling to PO
|Viv||Victoria & Dorking, SW1|
|Mrs Bhatia||Clayhall, Ilford, IG5|
|Steve Brooks||Rhondda, CF41|
|Adam Kazmi||Central London, W1|
|Bella Rocca||Ealing, W5|
|Katrina Thomson||Currently moving, EN8|
|Kenny Olowu||Lewisham, SE13|
|Bernardo Lopes||Earlsfield, London, SW17|
|zahir||South Kensington, SW7|
|Heather Bain||Orpington, BR6|
|Gillian Nightingale||Loughborough, LE12|
|Dr Rajandra Shah||Northampton, NN1|
|S. Barton-King||London, N4|
|Jay||Radlett, WD AREAS, WD7|
|Sunder Annamraju||Cobham, Surrey, KT11|
|Jim Pearce||Plymouth, PL5|
|Daniel Hill||Wandsworth, London, SW17|
|Teresa Chilton||Worcester, WR4|
|Viv||Victoria & Dorking, SW1|
|B Hellen||Clacton on Sea, CO15|
|Dr Margaret Nwagwu||Nottingham, NG8|
|Madeline Cranfield||Epsom, KT20|
|Samuel Thewlis||Bridgwater, TA6|
|Rich Thompson||Dorking, RH4|
|Patrick Jemmer||Swansea, SA2|
|Peter Adey||Manchester, M28|
|Dr John Hudson||Radlett, WD7|
|Deep Lidder||London, EC1|
|William Purchase||Petersfield, GU33|
|Learn Smart Online||Stevenage, SG1|
|Gareth Pr||South Midlands/ SE, HP19|
|Thomas Wigley||Tottenham, London, N17|
|Dr Martine Hooper||Chertsey/ Weybridge, KT16|
|Josh Telford||London, SE24|
|Sazan Meran||London, NW6|
|Wenn Humphreys||Manchester, M15|
|MR S A Y ALI Private Tuition||Birmingham, B6|
|Elanor Bennett||Surbiton, KT5|
|Dr Zac||London, SW18|
|Arnold Mtopo BSc||Stockton-on-Tees, TS23|
|Ben Hanson||Halifax, W Yorks, HX5|
|Hellen Frost||Canterbury, Kent, CT6|
|Peter Swain||Bournemouth, BH2|
|Dr C Maselkowski||Oxfordshire, OX12|
|Dr James Deeny||Bermondsey, London, SE8|
|Helen Wallace||London, SW7|
|C Sibley||Colchester, CO2|
|Dr Freeman||Edinburgh, EH7|
|Lyndsay Baker||Banbury, OX16|
|Harri Parish||Lambeth, SE24|
|Kamal||Harrow, Wembley, HA9|
|Linda Powell||Colchester, CO3|
|Dr Sheikh||Leicester, LE5|
|Alan Evans||Brentwood, CM14|
|Dr Parikh||Oxfordshire, OX1|
|Mark Parris||London, SE25|
|Dr Alan Gray||Edinburgh, EH11|
|Doug||Thames Ditton, KT7|
|Soheb Alam||Enfield, EN3|
|Bob Carroll||Bristol, BS15|
|Mike George||Hertford, SG13|
|Kas Silas||London, NW5|
|Dr Gansham Halai||Kingston, KT7|
|Becky||Exeter, Devon, EX2|
|D & A Tuition||Woodford, IG8|
|Michael M.||Twickenham, R'mond, TW2|
|Abi Mogul||Wembley, Harrow, HA0|
|Hussain Ali||London, SW7|
|Jon Clark||Welwyn Garden City, AL7|
|Bea Tamizi||Letchworth, SG6|
|Jessi Mackrell||Battersea, SW11|
|Chris Charles||Bristol, BS1|
|Yau Kin Hoe||Paddington, W2|
|Ken Wilkinson||Bristol, BS9|
|Surefire Dan||Stanmore, NW11|
|Victor Bluett||Sutton, Surrey, SM2|
|A John Clare||Kingston on Thames, KT4|
|Raj Jain||Harrow, HA8|
|Tim the Tutor||East Grinstead, RH19|
|Hamza Zaheer||London, SW7|
|Jeel Shah||Wembley, HA0|
|Rebecca Bates||Oxford, OX2|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for GCSE Physics
- Personal Message
- Principally an educator, experienced and fully qualified, I tailor my lessons to the individual student. I normally expect the student to prepare and inform me beforehand what topics or aspects of their work they want help.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I specialise in physics and mathematics from KS3 and GCSE to AS, A2 advanced level and beyond.
I teach general science (which incorporates biology, chemistry, physics and astronomy) and mathematics at Key Stages 3 and 4 (GCSE or equivalent).
I can also deliver further mathematics at A-level.
I may help some students with university entrance work and I am able to assist with some degree work in mathematics, engineering and physics.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- My first degree is in physics from Bristol University. I have a masters in biomechanics from Surrey University and a doctorate in biophysics from Portsmouth.
I am a fully qualified teacher as recognised by The Department for Education. Throughout my career there have been numerous changes in curriculum and teaching methods and I have attended many in-service training courses.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- In 1980 I began teaching physics at The Portsmouth Grammar School. I was promoted to head of physics at a large independent school in London for four years before diversifying to comprehensive education. I have taught in two large comprehensive schools, two colleges of further education, two independent schools and two boarding schools.
For over a decade I have been marking A-level papers for Cambridge International Examinations.
Recently I have been teaching chemistry GCSE and further mathematics A-level. Previously I taught mathematics and physics for foreign students aspiring to follow degrees at the University of Portsmouth.
Because I have been a personal tutor for over four years I am familiar with most of the examination boards' subject specifications.
Immediately after university I worked for a computer software house before pursuing scientific research in the biophysics laboratories of Portsmouth Polytechnic. I gained my doctorate at Portsmouth where I contributed to five original scientific publications.
- How much do you charge?
- For GCSE tuition my fee is £30 per hour.
For AS or A2 the charge is £35 per hour and for more advanced (further mathematics A-level, university entrance and degree level) £40 per hour.
There may be a £5 travel expense, or higher (depending on where the student lives).
The fee includes administration, preparation and marking.
- Where do you teach?
- I usually tutor in the tutees' home. If students are over 18 years of age they may prefer to come to me. I live near the railway station in Emsworth, Hampshire. Access is easy by bicycle, car or bus (even boat!!)
I am usually happy to travel to areas near or in Chichester, Havant, Petersfield, Portsmouth, Southsea and Fareham but there will be a charge to cover time and fuel .
- When are you available?
- I am flexible on the hours I am available. Currently I see several students in the morning and afternoon as well as after school or college. I am also able to work some weekends and in school or university holidays. It is probably best to have a regular slot but that is negotiable.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I am able to help school and college pupils at KS3 (ages 11-14), KS4/GCSE (ages 14-16), AS and A2 (ages 16-19). There is no age limit - education is life-long.
I have helped young pupils (age 10) and older ones (age 13) pass entrance examinations for selective schools.
Assignments are diverse, which adds to the challenge and enjoyment.
I have helped a number of mature undergraduate students: some have had to resit their university examinations and nearly all have passed!
I am happy to assist anyone of any age who has an interest in mathematics, physical science or engineering.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Most of my students are being prepared for GCSE and A-level. Some need a lot of help. Others just a few tutorials.
At A-level most strive for a grade high enough to reach higher education. Some aspire to the very highest grades.
I am willing to help with other qualifications. A number of independent schools follow International GCSE qualifications.
Some centres now opt for Cambridge pre-University qualifications or The International Baccalaureate, which are generally considered more demanding than AS/A2 levels.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I am fully qualified and have a current valid CRB check which is available on request. I do teach in a school where a clean record is mandatory.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I do not usually tutor on-line. If you insist, however:
Telephone calls are cheap nowadays so distance learning is easier.
Assignments are usually sent and received by snail mail but email is regularly used and accessed. Work can be scanned and attached.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a member of the Association of Teacher's and Lecturers.
For many years I was a member of the Association for Science Education.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- Most of my tutees follow GCSE or AS/A2 subjects. I am currently helping two students with further mathematics at A-level.
In 2011 I assisted one student with IB physics and another with Cambridge pre-U mathematics.
A year nine student I assisted to reach the top grade in AS mathematics which gained deserved success.
Previously I have helped students at University, either in re-sitting their examinations or taking them for the first time.
Many students come to me to improve the A-level grades to a standard they need for university entrance.
I have several who are aspiring to levels higher than their schools or colleges predict and I am confident they will make these grades.
In the past the vast majority of my students have attained the grade they realistically target, so long as they have worked well and followed advice.
It is wrong to presume that tuition will automatically improve the standard of work but it will if students apply themselves efficiently. It is up to the student to use tutorial help to maximum advantage.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- You must set yourself a target and an action plan to realise it.
In the run-up to examinations I suggest every question is attempted from at least three years of old examination papers. With physical science and mathematics it is imperative you practise answering a variety of different styles and types of question in every topic.
Success is achieved by commitment and hard work. I am up for it but the onus is more on the student. You are on your own in the examination!
Send a message to Dr Gordon Braddock
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more