Find UK Tuition
Key Stage 1 Maths Tutors / Key Stage 1 Maths Tuition in Guildford
Read more about Key Stage 1 Maths
Compare Key Stage 1 Maths Tutors in Guildford (Hampshire/ Surrey) postcode areas by clicking their names on the left hand side. To widen your search, consider Key Stage 1 Maths Tuition from tutors who can travel to Guildford (Hampshire/ Surrey) or from a tutor who teaches online.
If you are a tutor looking for Key Stage 1 Maths Tutor jobs in the Guildford (Hampshire/ Surrey) area then sign-up here.
Nearby Tuition Centres
|MagiKats Guildford||Guildford, GU1|
|Kumon Guildford North||Guildford, GU2|
|Explore Learning Farnham||Farnham, GU9|
|MagiKats Farnham||Farnham, GU9|
|Explore Learning Camberley||Camberley, GU15|
|MagiKats Mytchett||Frimley / Farnboro, GU16|
|Explore Learning Woking||Woking, GU21|
|Matthew Brown||North London, NW7|
|Joanne Leach||Southgate, Enfield, N14|
|P Godden||Ashford, Kent, TN24|
|Abi Mogul||Wembley, Harrow, HA0|
|Mrs Bhatia||Clayhall, Ilford, IG5|
|Sanam Arora||Harrow, HA1|
|Mike Chick||Exeter, EX4|
|Suzanne Delves||New Malden, KT3|
|David Wells||London, NW2|
|Denise Byrne||Islington, N5|
|zhiying||Sipson, Hillingdon, UB7|
|Mark Parris||London, SE25|
|Julie Roberts||Plymouth, PL3|
|Emily Hale||Forest Hill, SE23|
|Jacqueline Anderson||Birmingham, B42|
|Emma Storey||Fulham, London, SW6|
|Martine Daniel||York, YO31|
|Carla J||North London, N1|
|Tiffani Vinyard||Hemel Hempstead, HP2|
|Abigail Williams||London, N15|
|H Backley||Heathfield, TN21|
|Miss Olubi||Northolt, Ealing, UB5|
|Sara Wein36||Edgware, London, HA8|
|Amir Hussain||Borough, London, SE1|
|Gillian Crimp||Tiverton/ Exeter, EX16|
|Dr Margaret Nwagwu||Nottingham, NG8|
|Shu-Chen Warner||Croydon, Reigate, CR3|
|Adrian Beckett||Charlton, SE18|
|Monica Janssens||London, TN36|
|Graham James||London, W8|
|Mohammad Bari||East London, E6|
|Mr.Kanesalingam||Ilford, Essex, IG3|
|J R Tutors||Ilford, IG1|
|Sabah Hussain||East Lancashire, BB5|
|Mark W Taylor - Maths Tutor||London, NW3|
|Sowmya||Waterloo, London, SE1|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Key Stage 1 Maths
- Personal Message
- Retired London University lecturer with 15 years' experience tutoring. Patient and empathetic, keeps up with latest teaching methods.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I tutor Mathematics and Science, mainly.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- BA (History), Cornell University, 1967; MSc (Applications of Computing) University of North London (as it is now), 1978; PhD (Computer Science) University of Greenwich (as it is now) via CNAA.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I lectured in Computing from 1980 to 2005 at Thames Polytechnic (as it then was), Goldsmiths College, and Royal Holloway. I have been tutoring since 1995.
- How much do you charge?
- £25/hour; I don't travel; I don't charge for initial interviews; I do pro bono work for genuinely deserving cases.
- Where do you teach?
- I only teach at my home; I live in Bramley, Surrey, which is near Guildford, also near Cranleigh.
- When are you available?
- I am available all hours and seven days a week.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach all ages, and all levels up to university level. I can teach university level computer science.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- SATs, Common Entrance, GCSE, A-Level, IB, NVQ.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes, an Enhanced one.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I have not tutored on line before, but am willing to consider it. I can use Skype or Gmail video, audio or simple text-box chat.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Association of Teachers of Mathematics; Mathematical Association; Association of Science Educators; Institute of Physics
- Where and with whom did you train?
- Tigerland (Fort Polk), US Army, 1967.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- A 50 year old woman preparing for her Maths Level 1 NVQ (she passed last week); an A-Level maths student at a private girl's school; several GCSE students at a local state school, whom I tutor in maths and science; an 8-year old experiencing great anxiety about maths.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I teach maths and science using every trick in the book: we learn jingles ("boo-boo-boo, the square root of two"); we visualize (it should be "square side" not "square root"); we start with reality and then go to equations and formula (what is the volume of this box? Fill it with 1x1 cm cubes and count them; then see if we can find an easier way to get the answer); we keep the syllabus in front of us so our current topic is "located"; we use every past paper we can get our hands on; we use Mathematica demonstrations and videos and on-line programs to help make maths and science vivid; plus old-fashioned flash cards; and we learn some history too: you will appreciate the Pythagorean Theorem if you know about Mr Pythagoras (who was probably not the first to discover it).
I keep up with current developments in Science and Maths teaching, and also try to follow what the cognitive psychologists are revealing about human memory, learning theory, dyslexia and dyscalcula. I am patient and empathetic -- I know exactly what it feels like to be drowning in a sea of frightening and incomprehensible symbols. I have helped lots of people pass their maths and/or science, and have tons of local references.
I hate the inane, Orwellian "Maths is Fun!" approach you see in some published material -- (how about "Having Root Canal Work is Fun")? But learning how to solve problems in maths and science, and apprehending the deep order of the universe that these subjects reveal, can be profoundly satisfying, which is far better than being "fun".
Send a message to Douglas Hainline
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more