Find UK Tuition
Online Classics Tutors / Classics Tuition
Read more about Classics
See below for Online Classics Tutors by clicking their names on the left hand side. You may also consider searching a specific postcode area for Classics Tuition.
If you are a tutor looking for Online Classics Tutor jobs then sign-up here.
|T Blaukopf||North West London, NW4|
|Joe Hytner||North London, NW6|
|Rachel Friend||London, NW11|
|Atticus Cox||Chelsea, London, SW10|
|Adam Muckle||London, SW15|
|Ms Olga Jegunova||London, W2|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Classics
- Personal Message
- I believe that inspiring pupils and motivating them to learn for themselves will enable them to achieve their academic potential.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- I teach Latin and Ancient Greek. My specialist interest is language work, although I also teach literature.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I studied Classics at King's College, Cambridge and did my PGCE (teacher training) at Queens' College, Cambridge.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- † In April 2011, I founded a private tuition agency, Titanium Tutors, which I now run full-time. Please see www.titaniumtutors.co.uk
† Since October 2010 I have been supervising Cambridge undergraduates in Latin and Greek. Colleges for which I have taught so far include Pembroke, Downing, Homerton, Queens', King's, Trinity, Murray Edwards, Newnham, Caius, Peterhouse, St John's and Emmanuel.
† From September 2011 to July 2013 I was Head of Latin at a school in Bury St Edmunds (part time).
† I have had extensive tutoring experience in Latin and Ancient Greek (and some other subjects) over the past six years.
† Over the summer holidays 2010 and 2011 I taught an intensive 'ab initio' ten day Latin course to Oxford and Cambridge beginners at the JACT Latin Summer School in Wells.
- How much do you charge?
- † I charge £90 per hour, for all subjects and levels.
† Sessions longer or shorter than one hour may be booked (the charge will be pro rata).
† I do not charge extra for travel expenses (however, please note that I cannot usually travel further than three miles from West Hampstead).
† I do not charge extra for teaching in small groups (maximum class size 5 pupils).
† I guarantee not to exceed the lesson time we have agreed in advance. If I over-run, I will not charge for the extra time.
† Skype and telephone sessions can be arranged (N.B. the same hourly rate will apply). However, certain topics may be better suited to a face-to-face consultation. I will be happy to advise as needed.
† Tutors from my private tuition agency (Titanium Tutors) cost between £42 per hour and £90 per hour, depending on their prior teaching experience. Please see www.titaniumtutors.co.uk for further details.
- Where do you teach?
- † CAMBRIDGE: I tutor from my home (or at tutees' homes) during the week.
† NORTH LONDON: I tutor from my home in West Hampstead on Sundays and during school holidays. I sometimes travel to students if they live within a 3 mile drive of West Hampstead.
- When are you available?
- † Weekdays in Cambridge
† Sundays in North London
† All school holidays (including half terms) in North London
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- My tutoring briefs encompass all ages and levels, from beginners to undergraduates.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- I prepare students for all manner of qualifications, from Common Entrance right through to Classics degrees.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes - I can provide an original DBS certificate on request.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I favour face-to-face tuition wherever possible. However, if this proves impractical, I prefer to use Skype (using video conferencing).
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- All of my tuition work comes through my own website (www.joehytner.co.uk) and websites such as The Tutor Pages.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I did my PGCE at Queens' College, Cambridge, graduating in 2010.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I believe in three key principles:
1. ANYBODY CAN EXCEL IN LATIN AND GREEK
With a little guidance and a decent amount of independent work, it is genuinely possible for anybody to master the ancient languages.
2. GRAMMAR IS KEY
I believe that an understanding of Latin grammar is empowering. It eliminates guess-work and maximizes success. If correctly taught, it can also be a lot of fun.
3. TUTORS ARE FACILITATORS
Private tuition can be extremely helpful, but it is not a replacement for independent study. Fast progress and true success are only possible if the student works outside of the sessions.
There are six main aspects to my teaching:
1. Energy & Pace: I am highly energized and like to work speedily and efficiently.
2. Slow down to speed up: I believe that thorough and detailed explanations in the short term are an essential investment in time, and enable a faster pace in the future.
3. Structure: My subject splits itself very naturally into manageable units and topics. I like the student to be aware of these chunks and how they fit into the broader picture.
4. Reinforcement: I begin every lesson recapping the work covered during the previous session. This takes as little as five minutes, but repetition is the key to successful learning.
5. Homework: Independent study is the only way to get the most from private tuition: the two must work in tandem. I set work to be completed between every session.
6. Resources: In most cases I like to use a combination of the Cambridge Latin Course and my own worksheets. I often tailor-make resources to the individual student if the need arises.
Above all, I strive to make my lessons fun and enjoyable. I love my subject and want all of my tutees to love it too.
Send a message to Joe Hytner
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more