Find UK Tuition
Special Needs Music Teachers / Special Needs Music Lessons in Birmingham
Read more about Special Needs Music
Compare Special Needs Music Teachers in Birmingham (Warwickshire/ West Midlands) postcode areas by clicking their names on the left hand side. To widen your search, consider Special Needs Music Lessons from tutors who can travel to Birmingham (Warwickshire/ West Midlands) or from a tutor who teaches online.
If you are a tutor looking for Special Needs Music Teacher jobs in the Birmingham (Warwickshire/ West Midlands) area then sign-up here.
Tutors in B postcode
|Sorry no tutors found|
Tutors travelling to B
|Dr Stephen Oxley||Derbyshire, DE55|
|Alex Pidgen||London, SE6|
|Edgar Cardoso||Greenwich, London, SE10|
|Michelle C Perry||Wolverhampton, WV6|
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Special Needs Music
- Personal Message
- I believe that each student is a unique human being and tailor make my lessons to suit the individual and his or her needs. I am passionate about Music and have over 30 years experience as a Full Time Director of Music in Independent Schools.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Music GCSE, AS and A level. Post Graduate teaching of Music up to MA and Ph D level. Singing, Piano, Organ, Theory, Harmony, Counterpoint and Musicology. SEN Music, Proof reading and Essay Writing. I also give tuition to SEN children with handwriting, spelling and English.
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- I have a B A HONS degree from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne followed by an MA and Doctorate in Music. I also hold eight Fellowship diplomas of various colleges and professional musical organisations.
FNMSM, FASC, FASMC, FIAL (LOND), FFLM (LOND), FNMSM, FASC, FGMS.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Over 30 years of teaching music full time as a Director of Music in Independent HMC, GSA and IAPS schools. I have taught from Nursery specialist Music to A level and Diplomas in school. I have also spent 15 years as a GCSE examiner and 10 as an A level examiner. I have examined for Fellowship, Associateship and Licentiateship Diplomas in Music. I have worked as a Professor in the Junior department of the Guildhall School of Music in London and so have taught some incredibly talented musicians who have gone on to become fine professional musicians. I have sent countless numbers of students through ABRSM examinations, GCSE, AS, A level and a large number through Diploma examinations. I have sent many on to top Universities on Organ and Choral Scholarships and many to Conservatoires such as the RAM, RCM, Birmingham Conservatoire, Guildhall and the Scottish Royal Academy of Music. I have sent several into the Band service of HM Royal Marines, Army and RAF and have students who are now Opera singers at Glyndebourne, Welsh National and The Coliseum in London. I have several ex students who play in top orchestras across Europe. I have guest conducted HM Royal Marine Band on many occasions and performed as Choral Director with Choirs across the whole of Europe is such prestigious places as The Royal Albert Hall, St Paul's Cathedral, Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris along with St Sulpice, The Madeleine Church and Sacre Couer. Also in Florence Basilica, Venice Cathedral and Basilica of St Mark and most English Cathedrals, Eton College Chapel and Concert Halls up and down the country. I have accompanied thousands of students for ABRSM and Diploma examinations and have many who have been members of the National Youth Choirs of Great Britain. I am an organ recitalist and was Organ Scholar at Newcastle Cathedral, and York Minster as well as Sub Organist at York Minster to Francis Jackson who was my teacher I also studied organ as a post graduate with David Sanger, Arthur Wills and Peter Hurford and lastly with Hans Fagius. I have taught large numbers of Cathedral Choristers and have sung as a Counter Tenor in many choirs and as a soloist. I studied singing with Christopher Royall (a member of the Sixteen). I have given concert organ recitals all over Europe and in most Cathedrals and Concert Halls in this country including Westminster Abbey, Cathedral and St Paul's Cathedral. I also am currently Organist and Choirmaster at The Parish Church of Saint Giles in Matlock, Derbyshire.
- How much do you charge?
- Currently TWENTY FIVE pounds per hour.
- Where do you teach?
- I teach at home, am available to come into schools in the midlands areas and the north west and to travel beyond if appropriate. This covers Cheshire, Derbyshire, Greater Manchester, Birmingham and the West Midlands, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Yorkshire.
- When are you available?
- I teach at home during the school holidays or travel by arrangement. I am available Monday to Thursday am and pm. Weekends are a possibility if needed.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- I teach from age 4 years to adults. From SEN to A level, diplomas and degree and post graduate level.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- All ABRSM examinations grades, diplomas in voice, piano, organ, theory, composition and dissertation. Also for GCSE, AS and A level and Oxbridge Organ and Choral awards.
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- Yes I am fully CRB (enhanced) checked and only left full time teaching in December 2012.
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I tutor online via e mail.
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- Where and with whom did you train?
- I was a Chorister at Derby Cathedral and then Organ student there and at Southwell Minster where I studied with Kenneth Beard. I then studied with Russel Missin at Newcastle Cathedral where I was Organ Scholar and also gained a degree from the University there. I then studied organ with John Scott Whiteley as Organ Scholar at York Minster, Francis Jackson, David Sanger ,Peter Hurford, Flor Peeters and Hans Fagius. I studied Choir Training with Wallace Ross, Kenneth Beard, Russell Missin, Francis Jackson, Professor Peter Lea Cox and Philip Moore. I studied piano with David Dilks and Gillian Bithel. I also studied Organ and Harpsichord with Professor Sir David Lumsden at the Royal Academy of Music where I was a Post Graduate Scholar in Organ, Singing and Composition. I then won a scholarship to study with Professor Baron Flor Peeters in Belgium.
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- I have students of all ages and abilities and in most of the disciplines that I am listed to teach. I try to pass on to each one a love and passion for music in all its glorious forms. I have students who will go on to University to study Music and some will go to Conservatoires. Also I have students who want to study music for fun and as an aside to other academic studies. I have students of all ages, shapes and sizes and love them all dearly as unique individuals. I am a practising Christian and try to instill in my pupils some basic principals of this as a help to growing up and for life. Such principles as respect for all people, compassion, kindness and understanding. I do not however, 'force feed' religion nor am I a 'religious nut'.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- My personal message for students is simply this:
If you have dreams, make them a reality and live them.
Send a message to Dr Stephen Oxley
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more