University Entrance Coaching
- Robin Thornton BMus(Hons) ATCL Banchory, AB31
- Maddy Iqbal Sopwell, AL1
- Faisal101 Central Birmingham, B6
- Keith Wilmot Kings Norton, B31
- Tim Strauss Preston Park, BN1
- Carrie Garbow East Saltdean, BN2
- Naz Sekerkiran Rottingdean, BN2
- Dr Perpetua Neo Wish, BN3
- Evie Bentley Hurstpierpoint, BN6
- Kate McCarthy St. Mary's, BN43
- B Westerman Grove Park, BR1
- Dr Paul Kilkenny Bromley, BR1
- Gloria Toplis Beckenham, BR3
- Michel Orpington, BR6
- Chloe Masterton Lockleaze, BS2
- Andi Cambridge, CB2
- Expert Music Theatre Coaching Hundon, CO10
- Fred Scott Shirley, CR0
- Sheena Natasha Chan South Croydon, CR2
- Rachel Hasthorpe Foleshill, CV7
- Dr Stephen Oxley Shirland, DE55
- Colin Beveridge Westham, DT4
- Nasheed Qamar Faruqi Haggerston, E2
- Chloe Bradshaw Mile End, E3
- Mark Spillane Waltham Abbey, E4
- Joan Iyiola Clapton, E5
- Becca Marriott Beckton, E16
- Josephine Breese Clerkenwell, EC1V
- Chris Heaven Pennsylvania, EX4
- Jack Renninson Exeter, EX4
- Aspire Academy Upton St. Leonards, GL3
- Dr Sue Stroud, GL5
- Kathy Davies Randwick, GL6
- Sandra Burne Cheltenham, GL51
- Jim Simons Cheltenham, GL52
- Adriana Central Guildford, GU1
- Kevin Boyle Central Guildford, GU1
- Jo Anne Newson Pyrford, GU22
- Jeel Shah Wembley Central, HA0
- Dr. Wasim Akber Rayners Lane, HA2
- Chance2Learn Ledbury, HR8
- Dr Anna Watson Avenue, HU5
- Ben Hanson Halifax, HX5
- Stefan Gugura Ipswich, IP4
- Zangmo Alexander Rickinghall, IP22
- JN1 Coombe Wood, KT1
- Dr Gansham Halai Thames Ditton, KT7
- Stephen Price Leatherhead, KT22
- Philip Bradfield Dunfermline, KY12
- I. Gardner Sefton Park, L17
- John Sharpe Horncastle, LN9
- Olga Makarenko Central Manchester, M2
- Stephanie Bain Fallowfield, M16
- Christine Hubbard Rochester, ME1
- Linda Penney Sharnbrook, MK43
- Alexander Winter Highbury, N1
- Hywel Nelson Shoreditch, N1
- Tom Menzies Barnsbury, N1
- James Drew-Edwards East Finchley, N2
- Dr Richard Williams Harringay, N4
- Hannah Knight Harringay, N4
- Will Cartwright-Harwood Highbury, N4
- Aileen Bintliff Crouch End, N8
- Emma Murray Crouch End, N8
- Hannah Moss Crouch End, N8
- Owen Leech Crouch End, N8
- Max Churcher Alexandra Palace, N11
- Tonya Southgate, N14
- Helen Duff Clapton, N16
- Emily Bliss Kentish Town, N19
- Social Work Tutor Jesmond, NE1
- Andrea Holland Central Norwich, NR1
- Basit Kirmani, MA (Cambridge) Camden Town, NW1
- Howard Taylor St. Pancras, NW1
- Nigel Singh Frognal, NW3
- T Blaukopf Hendon, NW4
- Mrs. Sonia Jallane Swiss Cottage, NW8
- Daniela Gottardello Hampstead Garden Sub, NW11
- Rachel Friend Golders Green, NW11
- Dr Steve Chapman North, OX2
- Arzoo Cowley, OX4
- Dr S V O'Leary Wallingford, OX10
- David Pope Abingdon, OX14
- Dr Gordon Braddock Emsworth, PO10
- Mary Mathai East Grinstead, RH19
- Don Nicolson Eckington, S21
- Timothy Walker Linacre, S40
- Gorkem Waterloo, SE1
- London Art Portfolio London Bridge, SE1
- Tom Secretan London Bridge, SE1
- May Robertson Blackheath, SE3
- Ryoko Izutsu Brockley, SE4
- Bianca Bailey Wilson Brockley, SE13
- Sam Jenkins Lewisham, SE13
- Dr Alexandra Klaushofer Crystal Palace, SE19
- Sofia Ruge Sydenham Hill, SE22
- Corrina Connor East Dulwich, SE24
- Thomas Yarrow Tulse Hill, SE24
- Sophie Gledhill Sydenham, SE26
- Michael Steele Knebworth, SG3
- Daniel Joy Ware, SG12
- Pass Psychology Offerton, SK2
- Samanta Datchet, SL3
- Greg Buchanan Wallington, SM6
- Annabel Winchester, SO22
- Nick Collier Enham Alamein, SP11
- Asmah Battersea, SW1P
- Emma K L Taylor RCA SuperTutor Chelsea, SW1X
- Katrina Durber Westminster, SW1P
- Viv Battersea, SW1
- Emilce Sandra Rees Chelsea, SW3
- Esmee CSM Sloane Square, SW3
- Rebecca Felton Balham, SW4
- Natasha Tiwari Fulham, SW6
- CS1 Stockwell, SW9
- Dr Peter Cheevers Wandsworth Common, SW11
- Stuart Riddle Putney, SW15
- Dr Abbie Davies Furzedown, SW16
- Mark the Tutor Streatham, SW16
- Abdur-Rahman Chachia Balham, SW17
- Amelia Grandidier Balham, SW17
- Martin Richards South Wimbledon, SW19
- Dominic Sewell Raynes Park, SW20
- Studio-TWONOVICE Wimbledon, SW20
- Nicholas Shaddick New Romney, TN28
- Emma-Louise Tinniswood West Twickenham, TW2
- SLakha Heathfield, TW4
- Dr Andrew Levick Hampton, TW12
- Helen McMahon BA Hons West Drayton, UB7
- Chris Battle BSc PGCE West End, W1G
- J Preece Ravenscourt Park, W4
- Stathis Stefanidis, Director Turnham Green, W4
- Stas Pstrokonski Ealing Broadway, W5
- Susan Hamlyn Ealing Common, W5
- Lynn Foote Ealing Broadway, W11
- Stephen Follows Holland Park, W14
- Mayur Shah Clerkenwell, WC1N
- Sudeep Ghosh, PhD Oxhey, WD19
- Serena Penn, WV4
- Tom Haggerty Boroughbridge, YO51
All Tuition Centres
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.
- Personal Message
- I am an experienced,friendly, Cambridge educated English Tutor, based in Chorlton. I am passionate about inspiring students to pass exams, to gain their university place and to discover the social and emotional benefits of learning.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- My main subjects are A Level/Pre U and GCSE English, A Level and GCSE Religious Studies, A Level and GCSE Drama and Theatre Studies. All my students have achieved either A or A*’s in their exams, with many achieving far above their predicted grades.
My experience with the Cambridge Interview process gives me particularly helpful insights for students preparing for University Entrance and Interviews, especially at Cambridge and Oxford. I am currently helping one student to prepare for Oxford's ELAT exam.
I have recently taken on some students who are preparing for American Ivy League University entrance and I tutor the Reading and Writing sections of the American SATs.
I have a very high success rate of 11+ and 13+ Entrance Exam Tuition and will be tutoring for entrance to independent schools in the North West in January 2015
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- MA Acting with Distinction from Manchester Metropolitan University/ Teatr Piesn Kozla. 2012
MA (Cantab) English from University of Cambridge (Queens' College) 2009
A Levels: English Literature (A), Religious Studies (A), Spanish (A), Drama and Theatre Studies (A), General Studies (A) 2005
- What kind of experience do you have?
- I have worked for over two years as a private tutor for a number of elite tutoring agencies in London, including Bonas Macfarlane, De Silva Tutors, Titanium Tutors, Dulwich Tutors and Holland Park Tuition. I am moving to Manchester in January 2015 and having built up a private client list through recommendations, I am beginning to work freelance.
Over the last year I have taught twenty private clients for subjects including A Level, GCSE and Key Stage 3 English, Oxford and Cambridge English Entrance (ELAT exam), GCSE Religious Studies and 13+ Common Entrance. All my students have achieved either A or A*’s in their exams, with many achieving far above their predicted grades. I recently heard from one of my students who achieved full marks in their A Level English exam.
I successfully tutored students for entrance at Merchant Taylor’s School and King’s College Wimbledon. I have been recommended as an engaging and inspiring tutor between my clients’ families and friendship groups.
From September 2012 -- December 2013. I taught the Physical Theatre Unit of a BTEC Theatre Studies course at Manchester Enterprise Academy. This role involved delivering workshops in accordance with National Curriculum Learning Objecives and Outcomes and giving students guidance to devise a short physical theatre piece inspired by Manchester Library Theatre's Christmas production of Arabian Nights. I also work as a freelance drama workshop facilitator for various education institutions and arts organisations; including Kingston Arts, The Rose Theatre Kingston, Shakespeare for Schools Festival and the National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain.
I work professionally as a theatre director in the UK and Europe. I have worked with highly acclaimed international theatre companies and practitioners including Complicite, Teatr Piesn Kozla (Song of the Goat Theatre), Studio Matejka, Moon Fool and have made work at UK and international venues including The Young Vic, The Lowry Salford Quays, Cambridge Arts Theatre, Bolton Octagon Theatre and Teatr Piesn Kozla (Poland). I am the Artistic Director of Babel Theatre, an Arts Council supported contemporary theatre company, based in Manchester.
- How much do you charge?
- I charge £25 per hour for 11+ and 13+ Entrance Exams and Key Stage 3 English, £30 for GCSE and AS/A Level English and £40 for Degree Level and University Entrance
These rates reflect, not only the hour of face to face tutoring, but also the time spent preparing and the high quality of research and preparation I do for every lesson. My travel expenses are included in this rate.
- Where do you teach?
- I am based in Chorlton and can teach students in their own homes in Chorlton, Didsbury, Whalley Range, Withington, Levenshulme, Trafford and Central Manchester.
I also have a lovely study in my house where I can teach students.
I also teach online via Skype.
- When are you available?
- I have flexible availability all weekdays, evenings and weekends all year round.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- 11+ Entrance
Year 7 - Year 9 (Key Stage 4)
Year 10- Year 11 (GCSE)
Year 12 - Year 13 (AS/A Level)
University Entrance (English),
University Entrance (American)
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- 11+ Entrance Exam and Interview 13+ Entrance Exam and Interview
GCSE English Literature, GCSE English Language, GCSE Religious Studies, GCSE Drama,
AS/A Level English Literature, AS/A Level Religious Studies, AS/A Level Drama and Theatre Studies
Oxford and Cambridge ELAT exam
American SAT's (Reading and Writing sections)
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- I have an up-to-date DBS, issued on 25 July 2014. Certificate number: 001453129423
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- I am able to deliver online lessons via Skype.
- Where and with whom did you train?
- MA Acting (Teatr Piesn Kozla/Manchester School of Theatre) MA (Cantab) English (University of Cambridge --Queens' College)
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- •A sixteen year old boy studying the Cambridge IGCSE at King’s College Wimbledon. We studied Julius Caesar and The Great Gatsby. I helped him with essay structure and building his confidence in analysing unseen texts. I raised his grade from a predicted C to an A*.
•A seventeen year old boy at Dulwich College, studying WJEC A Level English Literature. We studied The Whitsun Weddings and Broken Glass. I helped him catch up with his analysis of Broken Glass as he had fallen behind. I also helped him to achieve full marks on his A Level Coursework Prose Study on Tragedy in Thomas Hardy and Toni Morrison. He eventually achieved full marks for his A Level English exam. I also helped him with his personal statements for American Ivy League universities. He was successful and received a number of excellent offers. I also tutor his younger brother, studying GCSE English Literature and Language. I helped him with his Poetry Anthology coursework and on exam technique. He achieved A*’s for both his English Literature and I am now helping him to study for American SAT’s.
•A seventeen year old boy who is studying OCR AS Level English Literature. I helped him with his analysis and essay techniques, which helped him to a high A* in his AS Level. I am now helping him to prepare for his Oxford Entrance. We are looking at practical criticism to prepare for the ELAT exam and hopeful of an interview. I am also encouraging him in his aspirations to pursue a career in theatre and looking out for career development opportunities for him.
•A seventeen year old girl who was studying intensively for an AS Level AQA Aspects of Narrative paper resit. We managed to bring her AS resit grade up from a D to a B and I also helped her achieve well beyond her predicted grades for her A Level English Literature and A Level Drama and Theatre Studies exams.
•A seventeen year old boy studying AQA AS Level English Literature Aspects of Narrative paper. I am helping him with understanding the narrative methods that underpin the texts he is studying: The Kite Runner, The Great Gatsby, Coleridge and Tennyson poems. I have raised his A Level Grade from a D to an A. I also tutor his younger brother who is studying AQA GCSE English Literature and English Language.
• A thirteen year old boy and a sixteen year old girl from a French family who are studying Key Stage 3 English and GCSE English Literature and GCSE English Language at the Lycee Francaise. I am helping the boy to increase his English vocabulary and become more confident with English grammar, as English is his second language. We are also studying The Lord of the Flies together. I am helping his sister with her GCSE English studies, with a focus on Romeo and Juliet and Creative Writing. I will continue working with her as she plans to apply to British universities to study journalism.
● I successfully tutored a boy for 13+ Common Entrance to Merchant Taylors School.
●I am working with an intelligent, but very shy fifteen year old girl at Putney High School. I am helping her to become more confident with the speaking and listening aspects of the CIE English course as she is very uncomfortable with public speaking.
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- I teach with energy, enthusiasm and humour, helping you to achieve your potential, get great results and most importantly enjoy your subjects. I like to begin a programme of learning by asking what you would like to achieve and coming up with a plan of how to work towards this goal together.
Send a message to Stephanie Bain
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more