Online Linguistics Tutors / Linguistics Tuition
Request a Tutor
Can't find the tutor you need? Post a request on our Tutors Wanted board.View all tutors for Linguistics
- Personal Message
- Tutor available all summer 2015. University re-takers please note: tutorials arranged by exchange of email, flexibility means weekends and day tutoring on offer (same hourly rate).
- Describe your arrangements for online tutoring.
- Skype use and email (and good old fashioned landline - for the sake of clarity). I would like to see evidence of your work (via an email attachment) so that we both come prepared to the online tutorial. Ditto for linguistics. Hours according to GMT or Summer time.
- Which subject(s) do you teach?
- Si tu foco es el español, o la literatura en castellano, o eres estudiante que necesita revisar la gramática, te puedo ayudar. On peut aussi faire la révision pour tes examens de français en se concentrant sur les papers ou le côté littéraire. Actively tutoring in Romance languages (French, Spanish and Italian) (CE, GCSE, A levels) to University level (excellent results). I also offer academic support in the Humanities (History, Linguistics, English) and Social Sciences at University level. Oxbridge preparation for modern languages (Spanish, Portuguese and French). I have tutored successful applicants for SAT2 (Spanish and French) for admission to American Universities. Tutees are returners (from GCSE to University Master level).
- Tell me about your qualifications.
- Full Member of The College of Teachers (since 2013). Institute of Education, University of London. Diploma in Higher and Professional Education (MA level), September, 2006. University College London, University of London (SLAIS). MA in Electronic Communication and Publishing, September, 1999. University College London, University of London. M.Phil in Linguistics, March, 1994. University of Reading, Reading, England. B.A. (Honours) in Linguistic Science, Class 2:1, June 1988. Includes French and Italian plus year abroad in France. Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany. Postgraduate Exchange Scholar, University of London,1992 (one semester - exchange scholarship) Université de Provence, Aix-Marseille I, France. DEUG en Lettres Modernes (15 credits), 1986-1987. Instituto Nacional del Profesorado, Buenos Aires, Argentina. (Teacher-Training College, State Sector), 1980-1981. A Levels: Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Portuguese (A to B), 1981 – 2004. BEC/TEC National Certificate in Computer Studies, 1985. Bachillerato Nacional. Colegio Nacional `José Hernandez’, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1979 (accredited with 12 AS, including Mathematics, by NARIC, UK) Study grant, Library Services Trust, New York (September, 2006) Hungarian language Summer University scholarship, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest (July-August, 2006). Beginner’s Hungarian ELTE certificate. ARELS/British Council Scholarship (Bournemouth International School), 1981.
- What kind of experience do you have?
- Registered as tutor with the most academic tutor agencies in London (Gabbitas, O-C Tutors, British Home Tutors and others).
A note for parents and students: please note that I am an extremely reliable person and keep to the timetable and days chosen. Once we have agreed on a specific date, this becomes binding (if this is what the parent/student wishes). However, block-bookings should be respected and I would prefer to be approached directly, rather than by a "chain" of agencies.
Since 2008 Appointed OCR associate examiner (Spanish). From 2007 Tutor via Osborne-Cawkwell Educational Consultants and British Home Tutors (Spanish and Italian) 2007 (October) Appointed AQA associate examiner (Spanish) 2007 Gabbitas tutor: Academic support in Linguistics and the Humanities. French, Spanish and Italian (GCSE, A level, and SAT II). EFL (TOEFL and IELTS) 2007 (Jan-March) Queen Mary College, University of London (French A level revision within the Widening Participation programme) 2005-2007 Tutor via Executive Language Tutors and Home Tutors, a teachers’ cooperative. Previous teaching experience: 1998 English for Academic Purposes, Łódź Polytechnic, Bielsko-Biała (Anglo Polish Universities Association) 1981-1988 EFL: Oxford Language Centre and the Elizabeth Johnson Foundation (Oxford, Reading and Egham, UK) 1980-1981 EFL: Instituto Superior de Idiomas and Instituto Ideas (Buenos Aires, Argentina) ABES, Bibliographic Agency for Higher Education, France : website pages translation and re-writing, June 2008 King’s College, London, University of London : Portuguese bibliography for Portuguese Studies: A multidisciplinary journal devoted to research on the cultures, societies, and history of the Lusophone world), 2005 – ongoing. // 2006, September A comparative study of subject librarians in New York, academic and cultural institutions (Library Services Trust partial funding) 2006 Research work and material collection, Chicago University Italian Women Writers. Institute of Education, University of London October 2000 – November 2005: Project Work: Youth Justice Board Project: database work and data extraction; Cross-cultural comparisons in infant crying; Greenwich data for teenage pregnancy. Packages used: SPSS (quantitative data). Data coding for questionnaires, data cleaning and cohort data handling (Home Office stats and profiles). Part-time Publications and Information Officer (Librarian to 2004). Maintenance of intranet library pages and database of stock holdings (books and journals). Bibliographic work, Music, Arts and Humanities Department (Prof. Lucy Green) Project Work 2001-2003: E-learning project on BSA delivery via digital TV (MST School), Mirandanet (funding research); Research officer for Skillsforce project (questionnaire administration); Research assistant (School of Psychology, Levels of Supplementary Tuition project); Interim Research Officer for CANDLE (Collaborative and Network Distributed Learning Environment, MST School). Indexer for the British Education Index, Internet Resources (Institute of Education). Institute of Education Library: cataloguer for Curriculum resources and Basic Skills Agency materials as well as academic texts (archive material, dissertations).
- How much do you charge?
- Ab initio, CE, IGCSE, IB: £50; pre-University (A level, etc), £50, University support and coaching from £55 (Oxbridge coaching by consultation). Please note there is a 30 pound charge should students or guardians request a preliminary interview with no tutoring involved.
Please note that I tutor in 90 minutes' sessions. This is optimal, and allows for rapid progression especially in foreign languages and intense exam preparation.
- Where do you teach?
- At the student's house in London (roughly zones 1 and 2). Prepared to discuss in-house and short-term assignments at other locations and abroad. I OCCASIONALLY teach in Wimbledon, Richmond and some parts of Tower Hamlets. PLEASE NOTE THAT SKYPE IS AVAILABLE BUT NOT PREFERRED MEDIUM.
- When are you available?
- At all times, with previous liaising with family/student. Please allow for time between tutees and for travel in London (and other duties). I am teaching weekends and bank holidays (as well as summer holidays) but prefer scheduled tutorials on a regular day if at all possible.
- Which ages and levels do you teach?
- Prefer to teach 12+ upwards. All levels. Prefer to see a student / pupil through to exam, cumulatively. Specialised in private schools cohorts. Please do not approach me to "write" your essays or "do" your homework for you - at the end of a period of tutoring, I would like you to be able to scaffold your knowledge towards your chosen goal.
- Which qualifications do you prepare your students for?
- Mainly French and Spanish GCSEs, A levels and Pre-U for the UK and abroad. IB coursework in Romance languages (eg., Spanish and French). American SATs (Spanish and French in particular). IELTS and PET, plus academic support (Linguistics and Humanities). Summer re-takes for undergraduates who are struggling (esp. translation) and getting back to work after the "year abroad" (when you find out that your foreign language skills ought to have improved but haven't).
- Do you have an up-to-date DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) Certificate?
- DBS from 2013 onwards (via Gabbitas).
- Do you belong to any professional organisations?
- I am a Visiting Research Associate at the Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies Department at King's College London (ranked in the top Uk 5 for Iberian Studies). Also member of the London International Development Centre : "The LIDC facilitates interdisciplinary research and training to tackle complex problems in international development by bringing together social and natural scientists from across the University of London's six Bloomsbury Colleges".
- Tell me about some of your current students.
- All the information about my students is strictly confidential (in addition to the fact that many students do not wish to reveal that they are receiving supplementary tuition). Nobody has ever not got into the school of their choice, and their grades have always improved (and, more to the point, their engagement with their subject and knowledge).
- Do you have a personal message for students?
- University competition is fiercer than ever and the gold standard is now AAB (as a minimum). You should regard this as an opportunity to shine, and a tutor on a one-to-one basis will give you the structure and commitment to achieve your aim - the study of a foreign language has never been a soft option (nor is it regarded as such by universities). Apart from earning an uncontested qualification you are onto the "voie royale" to the understanding of literature and culture, so it's time and effort well invested.
Send a message to Emilce Sandra Rees
It's free to contact me, and you don't need to log in - read more